• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Seems like I'm finding all types of internet deals on M118LR ammo now that the Red Cloud Range isn't open. Old Federal, Silver State, New Winchester M118LR, even Sierra Matching Competition ammunition, and all of it for less than $1.75 a round. Found it surprising that Sierra used FC Federal brass. Of course the Old Federal & Current Winchester M118LR have LC Lake City Brass. How many cases of 175 SMK .308 Win are to many???

Last edited:

LordPorter1

Expert
    I tend to run the SMK factory loads from Federal. I can reload those without a swedger for the primers. Are all M118LR crimped primers?

LordPorter1

Expert
    Great prices for this market but I bought my last 200rd case of Federal SMK for $200 so still hurts. I am stuck in the past!
    I wonder if the LC brass is berden primed and requires drilling? I am assuming it’s crimped also?
    I don’t have a progressive press, and for reloading match I wouldn’t want one but any work to the brass like drilling the primer hole and swedging just makes it not worth it for me. I run Redding match dies and neck size only, after fire forming. My AR10’s love the 175gr so those get a shorter OAL for mag loading and FL sized.

I have heard of setups to punch the primers and make the hole but I haven’t experimented with it. Maybe someone on here has an ideal for an easy way to prep M118LR brass but that is a separate thread completely!

LordPorter1

Expert
    I take that back that was 168gr I snagged for $1 a round. I stand corrected, there are great deals!

Attachments

• 16541398-9B63-4AB2-B8F0-88C878F8F819.jpeg
      16541398-9B63-4AB2-B8F0-88C878F8F819.jpeg
      508.8 KB · Views: 52

Baddog 0302

Master
    I tend to run the SMK factory loads from Federal. I can reload those without a swedger for the primers. Are all M118LR crimped primers?
    NO, cases with the head stamp LC LR or the earlier LC MATCH do not have crimped primers , including the M 852 cases that have the knurl near the base, those also have the LC MATCH head stamp.
    For what reason I have no idea, but cases with the head stamp Hornady match, have crimped primers.

M118LR

Master
    No I haven't tried the prvi. In the past I stuck with either Lake City or Federal exclusively. Never had a problem removing primers with my ancient Lyman Spartan Press. (NOT Progressive). Actually I'm picking up the other varieties to see how they stack up with my tried & true handloads vs numerous Factory Loadings. Come spring I figure to give them a go at the 1K Line from the same rilfe, shooter, on the same day & course of fire. The 175 SMK projectile being the constant since it has a known and proven track record. It will probably be a small sample size, but hopefully I will gain a little greater perspective on Factory Loaded versions of M118LR. Federal Gold Medal Match was the only Factory load I ever used in a Competition. It wasn't as tight as custom handloads, but for an out of the box Factory Load it worked fairly well. But I couldn't score higher than the AMU boys when running the Gold Medal Match. FWIW. It's a touch more expensive at CTD. https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/fed...-ammunition-200-rounds/FC-20029465091723.html

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    From a headstamp point of view, I've got to admit that Sierra gives you a premium belt usable plastic carrier. But I might just have to much experience with the Government's cardboard boxes M118 Special Ball or newer M118LR? At least the current production M118LR has a plastic divider to separate the rounds. So if the Sierra's don't prove out, at least I got some fancy belt carriers. LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_103001963.jpg
      IMG_20221209_103001963.jpg
      227.1 KB · Views: 45
    • IMG_20221209_103118289.jpg
      IMG_20221209_103118289.jpg
      174.2 KB · Views: 42

LordPorter1

Expert
    I am assuming they are also not the 3 hole primer pockets vs the single center hole. If anyone has reloaded them and knows for sure it would be helpful. I found a case of 500 at about $1.60 a round and I am going to get it. Worst case I will have some brass drilling. That bullet loose is hard to find and is expensive so getting it and the brass powder and primer for $1.60 is a no brainer. I am going to have to see if the bolt guns or the heavy AR10 likes them more. Once that is complete maybe 1k range day is in the future.

M118LR

Master
    I am assuming they are also not the 3 hole primer pockets vs the single center hole. If anyone has reloaded them and knows for sure it would be helpful. I found a case of 500 at about $1.60 a round and I am going to get it. Worst case I will have some brass drilling. That bullet loose is hard to find and is expensive so getting it and the brass powder and primer for $1.60 is a no brainer. I am going to have to see if the bolt guns or the heavy AR10 likes them more. Once that is complete maybe 1k range day is in the future.
    I'm a little confused, what make (LC, FC, PRVI, etc) of ammo are you asking about 3 hole primer pockets? All the Federal & Lake City I've reloaded had a single hole, if that's the question? Amazon product ASIN B000NOOQC6

Last edited:

LordPorter1

Expert
    Yeah I had started writing that and then added more and sent it after some of the other answers had came in. I am assuming the lack of crimp = boxer primed and crimp goes along with berden primed. Single hole was the main question meaning match ammo that isn’t crimped is probably not berden primed either. I am learning lol, I am going to be a M118LR ammo fan officially

boatbum101

Marksman
    Privi is boxer primed which means a single flash hole , berdan primed has 2 or 3 . Privi brass I've seen has been good quality with machined case heads , drilled flash holes & uniformed primer pockets just like the more expensive Norma or Lapua cases . IMHO the 175 won't outshoot the 168 until you hit 5 - 600yds .

M118LR

Master
    Privi is boxer primed which means a single flash hole , berdan primed has 2 or 3 . Privi brass I've seen has been good quality with machined case heads , drilled flash holes & uniformed primer pockets just like the more expensive Norma or Lapua cases . IMHO the 175 won't outshoot the 168 until you hit 5 - 600yds .
    The 168 SMK @ 2650 fps muzzle has no trouble remaining super sonic to 850 yards. With a 200 yard zero it should drop about 250 inches. Barrel twist rates have a hand in determining how rapidly the 175 SMK will produce better results than the 168 SMK. The 168 SMK was part of M852 (Mexican Match) and is best at 300 yards. At 300 yards there is no noticeable difference in 1:10 or 1:11.25 twists. It was darn precise and could be shot real accurately. Don't know how the current production stuff is since Uncle Sam was issuing it to DM's. 39.5 grains of IMR 3031 used to make for a pretty precise load, don't know how it rates compared to today's Alliant Powders. But if you got, smoke it. LOL

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    I have a 1:10 twist 20” barrel. I can see a big accuracy difference in 168gr amax vs 175gr fgmm. The 168 is moa or a little bigger and the 175 puts them touching each other.

I have also tried the 178gr eld and a few others and the 175gr fgmm is still the best out of my gun

LordPorter1

Expert
    When I get the M118LR I am going to have to put it through the paces and I think I will also run 168 SMK next to it.

I will shoot 100yd zeros to keep myself and environment from being too big of a factor.

Remington bolt heavy barrel 20” target
    Howa Bolt Heavy barrel 24” target carbon fiber
    semi 24” heavy barrel target

I will start a thread and add pictures of the groups, I know the 20” modal 700 1:10” is going to be hard to beat with those 168 grains but if I remember that 24” AR10 really liked the 175 SMK’s I was experimenting with so it will be a fun range day. I really want to stretch the legs when I get them dialed in I don’t get to shoot much over 100 yards these days and seeing them at 600 and 850 and 1k would be a treat for me.

M118LR

Master
    When I get the M118LR I am going to have to put it through the paces and I think I will also run 168 SMK next to it.

I will shoot 100yd zeros to keep myself and environment from being too big of a factor.

Remington bolt heavy barrel 20” target
    Howa Bolt Heavy barrel 24” target carbon fiber
    semi 24” heavy barrel target

I will start a thread and add pictures of the groups, I know the 20” modal 700 1:10” is going to be hard to beat with those 168 grains but if I remember that 24” AR10 really liked the 175 SMK’s I was experimenting with so it will be a fun range day. I really want to stretch the legs when I get them dialed in I don’t get to shoot much over 100 yards these days and seeing them at 600 and 850 and 1k would be a treat for me.
    Take good notes. Since all these rounds have 300 yard PBR capabilities that would be my first zero. You can use 100 yards either by holding under or just allowing the POI to be above your POA. It shouldn't effect the precision of the group size, it will just be a little higher than center. (So your photos may not look like classic bullseye's until you reach 300 yards.) The next classic KD line zero would be 600 yards. After that I would annotate zero settings for every 100 yards of KD. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    168s are a laser for me out to 600 and I'm lucky to make hits at 900 on a 14"X20" plate...never backed it up to 850 but I think that is right on the money for them from what I understand.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom