.22 LR ammo...what is your hi price point during thses crazy times/new normal...????

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    So BigD, DPMS 308, whip357 and myself were talking and looking around for some .22 LR ammo...it seems that gouge prices are the norm now, gunbroker, armslist, etc, take your pic. A guy at work bought a brick for $45 this past week before the gun show. My side deal fell through and I'm hearing and seeing posts where folks are saying that .22 LR brick were going for upwards of $50 a brick...The best deal I seen today online from a retail store was around $.086 per round or around $45 a brick....what say you...???

Vtgoat

Shooter
    I picked some 22lr up at Walmart today - Remington thunderbolt 50 rounds for $1.89 3 box limit better than paying $50 for a bulk pack

Ric-san

Master
    Too bad it wasn't 3 bricks....I couldnt be that lucky

Vtgoat

Shooter
    The guy at Walmart said they are getting the 525 and 333 bulk packs in but the minute they hit the shelf people are buying them.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    35 is my max brick and that is too much, things will settle down and it will be back to 15-20 or so again.

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    i have 3 brands of 22lr at the shop right now. They are 39, 41 and 43 a brick. Normally they are not that high, but my distributors price went up. Once they go back down, my prices will follow.

wildrider666

Master
    I quit shooting and quit buying. I have been cleaning my shooters them X2. Now I'm stripping the longer storage stuff, inspect and repair as needed and re-preserve.
    That will cover two weeks. Then jumping on a few minor configuration and optics swaps. I'm hoping availability will be back up by March. AR and AK "market value prices" are dropping. SKS and Mosins are still high for budget shoppers. I see several AK variant pistols at much lower prices like the Hellpup under $600.

Firearms skills are perishable. .22 Ammo is crazy! If you do not have one (why not!), BUY a pump .177 cal 1200FPS rifle and a BB pistol that comes closest to your primary carry grip.

Practice!

Milesvdustin

Expert
    I fully agree on a pellet or BB gun/rifle. I love to squirrel hunt with my 22 but I can still do just as good with a 22 air rifle or a 177 air rifle. However, I do want to snag at least one brick in the interim. Then when prices decline I will slowly restock.

I surely hope ammo will again be normally available again soon. Time will tell.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I got 20 bricks last week online at "normal" pricing. they were 23.99 each. Just keep an eye out and you can get it at a reasonable cost. If anything, I would be more concerned with your magazine collection than your ammo collection...

wolfehollow

Shooter
    Why stock up on magazines? I have 5 or so for each weapon at different capacities, but why would one need 40 AR 30rd clips? If you just want them, more power to you... I'm no one to say what is enough for anyone else. My question is about the tactical/practical need. I'm looking for educational information.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Why stock up on magazines? I have 5 or so for each weapon at different capacities, but why would one need 40 AR 30rd clips? If you just want them, more power to you... I'm no one to say what is enough for anyone else. My question is about the tactical/practical need. I'm looking for educational information.

In my opinion, for what it is worth... The ammo will be back, if any type of ban happens it will restrict our access to high capacity magazines.

I am not saying that everyone needs to have 40 magazines for each weapon, but going to the range with 10 mags for each gun is really a lot more fun than going with just 1.

I think that you have the right idea, 5 mags per weapon is the minimum that I like to have, I am not sure that anyone really NEEDS more than that for anything other than convenience.

I'll give you an example of where my having 30 26 round AR .22 mags comes in handy;

When I go out to a co-workers clay pit to shoot, I bring both of my AR's that have .22 uppers and we shoot at a dueling tree.

Usually if both people are a decent shot you go through 2 mags a piece per round before someone win's on the tree.

There are usually at least 4 people there with us that want to shoot and take turns... So at 4 mags per round, in about 7 rounds we will have emptied all of my mags, give or take.

That's not even 2 rounds a person before we've expended all of my mags. And usually someone wins within a minute or so... When I go out there, I want to shoot and have fun, not reload mags all day, so I bought a bunch of them!

As far as the number of Pmags that I have on hand... I have no logical explanation... :bounce:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Investment!! For when the rest of us suckers start panic buying! :)

See the problem is... that I can't seem to part with any of them...

Baby steps though, I just started letting go of some of my ammo stash, by the time I decide I should probably let a few mags go things will be back to normal.. haha

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    X2 on not being able to part with them. Im a firm believer in having a back up to my back up!

I actually just traded something for something Ive wanted for a long while. Even though I got what I wanted, giving something up left me a little bit dead inside.

The only thing to fill that void is more ammo! :D

wildrider666

Master
    Never go into indian country with less then nine mags in pouch and one in the well. It goes real quick when things go real bad. Would you have less logistics for protecting the family. You can reload mags if you have time. Three mags for a pistol (backup firearm) are fine for me.

statdoc

Expert
    Re: .22 LR ammo...what is your hi price point during thses crazy times/new normal.

Everything I have been buying over the past few years is based on the worst case scenario that it has to last me the rest of my life. Plus I want to be able to give some of it to my son when he is out of school and can keep guns in his own home. If Feinswine has her way, what I have will indeed have to last generations. I truly hope my preparations turn out to be unnecessary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom