• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Being a Ford guy and not knowing much about GM since the early 70s I have a question for the experts.

I've been looking around at Camaros (85 to 92) and noticed at a certain year they stopped calling the engines 350s and started calling them 5.7s.

Are these 5.7s the same cast iron SBC as the older 350s or are they some newer type of block? If they are newer what year did they change over?

Rick

Last edited:

Stagman

Master
    5.7L is the same older 350 engine. The only difference is the fuel injected models and carb models cylinder heads have different intake manifold ports.

shootnstarz

Master
    Thanks Stag ! Is the 305 the same SBC as the 350? Can a 305 be bored/stroked to a 350 or is it a different block?

Rick

MarkS

Master
    350 block is a 4 inch bore a 305 is 3.75-78 and cannot be bored out to 4 inches as the coolant chambers are too close

shootnstarz

Master
    Thanks again for the info.

I wasn't really looking to build anything and hope to keep numbers matching in whatever I find. If I find the right car with a 305 that runs good I can live with that. I'm not going to be racing it, as long as it goes 75mph that's plenty for me. I want one cause they're purrrrty!! And I've owned nothing but Fords for the last 35 years.`

I just have always loved the 85 to 92 Zs, some of the best looking cars ever made, unless some yahoo has put 20" wheels on it. Stock paint, stock wheels, stock hood are all nice looking and fit the car well.

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Thanks again for the info.

I wasn't really looking to build anything and hope to keep numbers matching in whatever I find. If I find the right car with a 305 that runs good I can live with that. I'm not going to be racing it, as long as it goes 75mph that's plenty for me. I want one cause they're purrrrty!! And I've owned nothing but Fords for the last 35 years.`

I just have always loved the 85 to 92 Zs, some of the best looking cars ever made, unless some yahoo has put 20" wheels on it. Stock paint, stock wheels, stock hood are all nice looking and fit the car well.

The 350 (L98 engine code) cars are starting to command some good money, and judging from what my insurance quoted me for a replacement settlement for mine are a good investment. I have owned a 1987 IROC (first mass produced year with the L98) for almost 20 years. They are no hemi as far as rarity, but you rarely see them. The 305 cars, be it a TBI or TPI car, are far more common. Keep in mind, any factory third gen with the 350 will ALWAYS be an automatic and will not be a convertible, save for a handful of custom aftermarket jobs. Let me know if you would like more info, I've been into these cars for years.

shootnstarz

Master
    Cool Chop, post a pic of your car. I intend to learn as much as I can about the cars before I pull the trigger and any links or other info you could send my way would be greatly appreciated. What was the last year you could get one with a carb, from the factory.

I've seen some fairly nice cars for reasonable prices but most need paint, a lot have crate motors and a lot have been converted to drag strip cars. They're out there from $2500 to $25000. Ideally, I like the red IROCs, 87 to 92 with the big spoiler and no T-tops. Several really good deals have popped up but because I hesitated I missed them, but there will always be another.

Thanks again to all for the info.

Rick

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    I believe the last year for a factory carb was either 86 or 87. Many of the 305 cars had a carb and then a TBI set up. The big spoiler cars were made in 91 and 92. If you can narrow your price and specifications down, I can help you find a car. I will be glad to look at any local car you would like for me to. Check out thirdgen.org for some good info. I'm trying to upload pics but am having no luck. Any advice?

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter

Latest posts

Top Bottom