• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 07stuntin6r

Marksman
    So odd question and due to this is the ability to manipulate the slide lock and mag release on any pistol I use....primarily my Glock which I want to use for IDPA.
    So when shooting rifle I use my right hand to fire just like the majority of people and it feels natural. When it comes to pistol I shoot lefty. Granted I have tried righty and my grip just is not as great which I'm sure will adapt with more practice. So my question is should I convert full time as a righty or focus on bettering myself now as a left hand shooter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    After doing some tests feeling like a rhetard I believe I am Left eye dominant. Still weird cause I use my right when shooting rifle lol

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    After doing some tests feeling like a rhetard I believe I am Left eye dominant. Still weird cause I use my right when shooting rifle lol

Then you probably don't have a very strong dominance.

My first thought would be to just do whatever is the most comfortable. That being said, if you're able to switch to shooting right handed pretty easily, it might make things easier in the future (guns, holsters, etc. designed for right handed shooters).

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Yeah really weird, given I'm a "lefty" my throwing, punching stronger arm is my right

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I still have some difficulty shooting with both eyes open, but the more I practice, the easier it becomes. Also, shooting with an optic is helping with that.

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Yeah that's the only way I could do it. With standard sights it's too difficult. Now I need to figure out if I need to switch my Incog holster to RH or not since it is a long wait and $$$

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Guess I'll convert to righty....I notice when I draw the pistol up lefty I tilt my head left unlike righty my head stays perfectly straight and Alined.

madeSICC88

Master
    I switched from left handed to right a few years ago, I didn't notice any major difference in doing so (sucked either way). I always shot rifle right handed.
    I did it kind of why TennJeep said, availability of right handed products. I go back to Idaho for a few weeks at a time and when we fly I don't bring my own pistol, I always borrow a family member setup, and they are all right handed. Wasn't a hard transition at all, I do a lot of stuff right handed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Guess I'll convert to righty....I notice when I draw the pistol up lefty I tilt my head left unlike righty my head stays perfectly straight and Alined.

Cross dominance isn't much of an issue. A lot of good shooters are cross dominant.

It would probably be best to just pick a hand and stick with it. Like I mentioned before, being right handed definitely has it's advantages, even if only the availability and variety of guns and gear.

Little Jack

Master
    Then that means you're right eye dominant. Though ideally it's best to shoot with both eyes open.

It takes some practice but it's a lot quicker and that's one of the reasons a red dot is "easy" to shoot with.

I'll still close my left eye when I'm trying to be more precise on pistol or from the bench with magnification,but it's two eyes open for most of my shooting

xenscott

Expert
    To be honest, it wouldn't hurt to be a little ambi with a handgun. I'm a lefty and terrible showing with my right hand.

wildrider666

Master
    Basics. What hand do you write with? Note: Many decades ago, schools forced "lefties" to write with the right hand.
    When you work with your hands, which hand do you use expecially on detail persise work?

My Brother is perfect ambi with hands and eye coordination. Bat, throw a football, everything. Back in the day when we wrote letters, I could see where he stopped and resumed using the other hand as his cursive would lean left or right. He shoots R/H (gear driven back then). He was the hardest guy I ever Boxed: he would shift stance as he moved and a jab became a haymaked!

I'm R/handed, R/eye dominant even though my left eye has better vision. My brain defers to the image viewed by my R eye. I wouldn't consider you mixed bag L/R as a handicap but as a enhancement to your versatility. I would say that if you want to improve your handgun skill set the focus should be predominatly with R/H. This will serve you well in fast "Flash Sight Picture" shooting situations unlike punching paper and having time to use both F/R sights. IMHO.

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Well I write left, throw right, precise stuff with my fingers left, using hand tools left, breaking things that are on tight or tightening right hand. Right eye dominant. When it comes to gun grip I can push more into the gun using my right hand while firing with left finger. I think I'm gonna stick with lefty
    I'm over it lol

Top Bottom