• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    I'm thinking of starting a new career working offshore. The career I worked for many years has pretty much dried up because of the economy and I was thinking about doing the marine thing for a change. Does anyone have any experience or advice about working on the boats?

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Ive been thinking about the same thing, i just worried about getting shipped out and stuck on a rig for months at a time.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Two years ago I spent about 24 hours on an oil rig 90 miles in the Gulf working on a control system. I never want to see another one unless it's from a fishing boat.

M.O.A.

Master
    Two years ago I spent about 24 hours on an oil rig 90 miles in the Gulf working on a control system. I never want to see another one unless it's from a fishing boat.

My sentiments exactly. Worst 28 days of my life.

M.O.A.

Master
    Nah just so Damn boring that after day 3 you're ready to cut off your head with a steak knife.

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Offshore life is not for everyone. It does pay well though. I came to the oil-patch at 40 years old, and picked it up quickly.

shootnstarz

Master
    Yes, by all means sign up for one of the best paying jobs one can get in this area.

I worked on an oil field crew boat for 24 hrs. 22 of those hours were spent somewhere between my bunk and the cabin ceiling depending on whether we were going up or down the water mountains. I just tied a garbage bag to the bunk to dry heave into because I was worn out from making head trips.

Upon returning to the terra firma I was knocking oil rig workers out of the way to egress from that rolling, rocking, puke barge as fast as I could. So now as far offshore as I'm going is the end of the fishing pier.

Rick

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    As others have said, it ain't for everyone. I've worked on many offshore crewboats from Matagorda Bay all the way back to Venice. I never lucked up to work out of Theodore. It pays alot better now than it did then, but last job was $325.00 a day. That was 09. If I were to go back, I'd stick with the small one to 5 boat companies if possible. I've worked with the bigger operations like Tidewater, Seabulk, and others. They hire too many "work release" inmates. I'd go to work for the Sheriff's office if I wanted to deal with criminals. The worst thing that can happen is to get on with a company that runs the boat 24/7.
    On another note, if you get on with a great company like Edison Choest, you're set for life as long as you behave and don't screw up. The other factor is, can you live away from your family for 2-4 weeks. Is your relationship with your woman solid enough to stand being gone 66% of the time. Lots to consider!!!

captcrunch

Shooter
    ECO is a great company, would go for them first. They have their own training academy and you can move up pretty fast, especially in the engine dept. Here's a good site to check out op. They have a forum that will give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://gcaptain.com/

kendive

Master
    I work on a 840 foot 6th Gen Enhanced Drill Ship. 21 on and 21 off.

LOVE IT...

Matter of Fact I'm on it right now.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    I have a couple buddies who work offshore and love it, other than the schedule, but you get used to it. Me I'd rather climb poles and work on 12kv anyday.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be applying for a TWIC card. I already work a screwed up schedule for little pay, I can do that for good pay. I don't have kids or want any and my wife is as steady as the sunrise in our relationship and on board with the idea. I don't have kids, a cheating wife or a normal schedule to worry about now so not much would be different. Did the financials and things could be very good in a couple of years!

maxfold

Master
    U.S Goverment ,coast guard . M.M.D card Z card shows all credintials needed ,claim all tickets parole etc ,they do background check, good luck .maxfold

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Cool, do they pull taxes or is this a 1099 position? The worst thing on my record is a speeding ticket 6 years ago.

kendive

Master
    Cool, do they pull taxes or is this a 1099 position? The worst thing on my record is a speeding ticket 6 years ago.

I can't say for all but my job is a full time taxes taken out job. I have a TWIC but don't really need it.

Offshore is very awarding in many ways... I like what I do and I get to play with high dollar Electronic, PLC, Computers and you name it kinda stuff.

The $$$ is very very good depending on your Position. Don't even ask what my yearly Ret Bonus is just so I won't quit.

Last edited:

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Well, I'm waiting for my TWIC card, I've officially decided to pursue this endeavor. In reading the official USCG website about getting my MMD I have a few questions. Do I need to go to a REC (closest to me is a 3 hour drive) to fill out that application form for an initial credential and the get the drug test and physical at that time or what? I'm sorta confused on the proper (quickest and easiest as well) way to get my MMD. Can I fill out the CG 719B and mail it in and await the drug test and physical for a later date? Sorry If I'm being a PITA, I just want to do this in the most efficient manner. Thank you for any help in this manner.

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    I did all my paperwork by mail. Get your drug screen and physical first. Go to coast guard website, they have all the MMC info. Good luck, work is plentiful right now.

CCHGN

Banned
    ECO is a great company, would go for them first. They have their own training academy and you can move up pretty fast, especially in the engine dept. Here's a good site to check out op. They have a forum that will give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://gcaptain.com/

yeah, I's gonna ask, so is offshore drilling a walk on job? Isn't there some kind of skill/training involved? How long is the apprentesship? Also, it's not just the skill, it's also getting along with the crew, which they probably don't take right to new folks, especially greenhorns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom