• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    So I am thinking about building an AR for my woman but am thinking should I go with a Carbine or a pistol with the sig brace? This is going to be a build that I will buy stuff here and there not everything in a few paychecks so I have time to build it. Just curious to what y'all would do? I have had her use my carbine but she says how it is heavy etc. Only thing I have on it that adds a little weight is my Streamlight TLR1- HL at the very front. If y'all suggest a pistol what barrel length should I go with because I know the ballistics for 5.56 under a 16" barrel aren't that great.

Blue

Shooter
    I'm not a huge fan of the sig brace. It was ok but I didn't keep it very long. Also the only AR pistol I'd go for is a 300BLK. Using polymer a lower, pencil thin barrel, skeletonized stocks you can build a really LW carbine.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I just got the new Sig brace the SBX, wow, really nice,.my pistol is the 6.8 8.5" Bison...sweet!

avtech850

Expert
    The biggest thing about going with a SBR or a pistol AR is knowing what your going too do with it. If your going to shoot 223/5.56 I personally wouldn't go less than 11.5. With all the research done by big name companies and legion shooters it really seems too be the sweet spot between durability, less wear and tear on parts and control ability. You won't be giving up a ridiculous amount of velocity and should be fine for anything inside 300 yards.
    The 300 blackout/whisper really shines in a sbr/pistol but it's pretty expensive if you don't plan on reloading for it. Also, hold overs are going to be your best friend. The 300 has the drop ratio of a 22 lr.
    All in all it really depends on the kind of shooting you and your lady friend want too do with it and while it is cheaper and easier to build a light weight pistol it really is only marginally so then a carbine

SAWMAN

Master
    The guns using the KAK Tube/Sig Brace system are not(IMO)any lighter that the others. The shorter bbls and hand guards WILL reduce the over all weight to some extent though. Also keep in mind that there are some awfully heavy muzzle devices out there,when you build. Do some research on them. Most likely,the coolest looking will not be the most efficient.

For the wife,build a 223Rem/5.56. Ammo will be cheaper and will allow more practice. It will kill most any deer or hog in NW Fla also. If you use a Mag Pul stock,add the LimbSaver recoil pad to it. She will appreciate that. Also,the mid gas systems will produce less felt recoil that a carbine gassed gun. (BUT ..... lightly consider the 300BLK)

Hunter vs Plinker ...? If the gun will be a paper puncher a shorter(<10.5") bbl length will do. If you are building a hunter I would suggest that you go with a bbl of 10.5 - 12.5 inches in length for a pistol. BTW ........ a "pistol" will save you tons of money,paperwork,wait times,and keep you from "flying above the radar". Some chamberings are really inefficient with the super short bbls. The 223/5.56 is one of them.

If you plan to scope the gun make sure that you can maintain the proper eye relief with the Sig Brace guns. You've gotta experiment with the spacers. A red dot sight will be ok.

IMO the Sig Brace guns balance further to the rear. I know that my wife absolutely hates any gun that has allot of weight out front. My 10.5"/Sig Brace/6.8 seems to balance perfectly. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the information. Also note if I build a 300 blackout or 6.8...... That won't be hers :) It will be my baby!

Latest posts

Top Bottom