• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Yesterday, I went over to TGD Firearms to pick up my TGD billet upper receiver and while I was there, David and I had a nice conversion. We talked about several gun topics, but one was the highlight. There seems to be a huge craze for building AR pistols these days. As an observation, we agreed that the craze seemed to have started with the introduction of the SB15 brace. This latest craze also coincides with the decrease in SBR builds. In my opinion, the SB15 brace has allowed people to have a SBR without having to do the paperwork, spend $200, and wait nine months to get a stamp back on a Form 1. Until the past couple years, AR pistols were just a novelty and not many guys were building/buying them. I waited nearly ten years before I decided to build mine last year, which does not have a SB15 brace on it and never will. There has also been some legal issues with guys adding VFGs on their pistols with SB15s installed. ATF regulations state that an OAL must be 26" or more in order to install a VFG on an AR pistol. OAL is measure from the tip of the barrel (excluding any muzzle device, unless the device in pinned and welded) to the end of the buffer tube. Several people have not done so and have built illegal pistols. ATF does approve of using the MAGPUL AFG on AR pistols of any length. I have one on my pistol. So, if anyone is anticipating building or buying an AR pistol, be advised of the ATF regulations when it comes to accessorizing.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I don't know about the 223 crowd but we in the 6.8 world have been building pistols for the last 5 years or more, most did not have the Sig brace till we got the definitive letter from the ATF SAYING THERE WAS NOTHIng wrong with shouldering an AR pistol. Now it seems the KAK shouldered tube made for the sig brace along with the spacers they sell it is even a hotter property.

In fact the pistol builds have been pretty active for probably the last 10 years as there is even an old ATF letter allowing "cane tips" or similar products to be used on the tube.

Today there is no real reason to SBR and even petitions going on the do away with the SBR stamp as well as the suppressor stamp since 33 States allow their use at this time for hunting.

I find I am hunting more with my 6.8 pistol and sig brace more than I take my rifle out in the field, next is the suppressor.

Frank, I was not saying that pistol builds had really started showing up the past couple years. I am very aware that they have been around for quit some time now. What I am saying is that the popularity of AR pistols has grown exponentially over the last couple of years because of the onset of the legality of the SB15 and ones ability to dispense with the process of doing a Form 1 for a SBR. It is a mass consensus that guys these days do not want to wait on a Form 1 to come back for a SBR when they could use a SB15 instead.

Dan1612

Master
    I'd love a 300blk pistol, with at least a 9" barrel, if not 12". Twelve inches in the barrel is incidentally, the usual length at which the 26" OAL is met. I do also like the brace and spacers. I got a pistol with a brace in trade, and it was much more sturdy and useful that it looks in pictures, and for a low recoiling round, IMO functions just like a stock.

However, due to the demand, I'll be waiting until all the exact parts I want become a little more available. Any product driven rush in the firearms industry is good for us all, so I'm happy to wait. Plus, the gun fund is tapped. Lol.
    JMO.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I am afraid if the SBR petition does not get passed and acted on we might get a yahoo in saying oppps made a mistake, people are getting around the law and now nothing is approved or even the pistol will have to need to have a SBR stamp.

boomboom

Shooter
    I'd love a 300blk pistol, with at least a 9" barrel, if not 12". Twelve inches in the barrel is incidentally, the usual length at which the 26" OAL is met. I do also like the brace and spacers. I got a pistol with a brace in trade, and it was much more sturdy and useful that it looks in pictures, and for a low recoiling round, IMO functions just like a stock.

However, due to the demand, I'll be waiting until all the exact parts I want become a little more available. Any product driven rush in the firearms industry is good for us all, so I'm happy to wait. Plus, the gun fund is tapped. Lol.
    JMO.

If anyone is looking at the 300 Blackout for a pistol build or SBR, this place is taking preorders @$100, for a 8" barrel: http://www.law-guns.com/ar-15300blackout8pistolbarrel.aspx

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer

FUPAGUNT

Master
    So basically makes it longer to be more effective when shouldering the weapon? In theory of course

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    yes, I made my own spacer since I have a Phase 5 tube

FUPAGUNT

Master
    What length barrel would you guys recommend on a 5.56 pistol build? Also, good companies that make them?

Django

Master
    What length barrel would you guys recommend on a 5.56 pistol build? Also, good companies that make them?

PSA 10.5" 1/7 twist. From looking up the roll marks, it's a C.L., FN barrel. Runs flawless for me. Fun as hell. Put a laser on it, feels like I'm cheating, lol. YMMV

boomboom

Shooter
    I think a 7.5" is the most popular but you have to decide what you want to do with it. I have a 7.5" Spirit Arms barrel, I have a 8.2" Alpha Shooting Sports barrel, and a 9.5" Core15 barrel I use suppressed/SBR for hogs. All of them shoot great. It's hard to find a lousy barrel anymore. To add, I agree with above with PSA too.

Capt

Expert
    PSA 10.5" 1/7 twist. From looking up the roll marks, it's a C.L., FN barrel. Runs flawless for me. Fun as hell. Put a laser on it, feels like I'm cheating, lol. YMMV
    I built that same pistol,Cold Hammer Forged barrel from PSA.Luv it.

Django

Master
    I built that same pistol,Cold Hammer Forged barrel from PSA.Luv it.

Yes sir, me too!

Frank, I have the same buffer tube. What did you use for spacer? Miine didn't move much with 5.56 but when I put on the 7.62x39 upper it snugs up on me.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I had a long heavy cardboard tube I cut to length and covered w gorilla black tape for now, what can I say it works, the tube is tight already on the brace

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter

Me too. Flawless. TLR-2 laser/light combo.

Django

Master
    I had a long heavy cardboard tube I cut to length and covered w gorilla black tape for now, what can I say it works, thie tube is tight already on the brace

Like you said, whatever works. I need to rifle through my shed and see if I can come up with something. I know I have some diffent sizes of PVC pipe in there. I may try that. I thought about wrapping some rope or paracord but I was concerned about it holding moisture.

Top Bottom