• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I've done the $35 trigger job (http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?9814-35-DIY-AR-Trigger-Job) on two of my AR's and I'm very happy with them. They are WORLDS better than the stock triggers that I've shot.

I'm thinking about taking this mod one step further. I've got another build I'm (slowly) working on. It will be a hunting AR, so I would like a nice trigger on it. I built the lower without a trigger group in anticipation of getting a Geissele SD-E. Now I'm second guessing that.

I'm thinking of getting an ALG QMS trigger and using the JP yellow springs and Joe Bob's Trigger Adjuster Screw. The ALG QMS trigger is just a standard mil-spec trigger that has been "tuned" by Geissele Automatics. They say that the grittiness that many people experience with standard triggers has been removed leaving a much smoother pull. The QMS trigger is $45, JP springs are around $12, Joe Bob's adjuster screw is about $18, plus shipping equals $82. I think I will be very happy with the trigger, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying a Rock River Two Stage for around $110 or just going with my original plan of a Geissele SD-E.

What says GCGF?

Hitman29

Shooter
    I've used the ALG QMS with JP reduced reliability springs in several recent builds. I did not use the adjuster screws, and after assembly, I really don't think they are neeed. All the trigger pulls are quite nice. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but would estimate the pull weight to be in the 3-4 lb range. There is a small amount of take up(I like some take up) and decently crisp break. Much better than most stock mil spec triggers. Do keep in mind that the hammer fall is noticeably lighter and this set up may not be reliable with all ammo. Especially the Russian stuff from what I've heard. ( I don't use the stuff in my guns anyway) I haven't had time for much range time and have only test fired one AR so far. Ran fine with American Eagle. Did another build with the RRA two stage. The ALGs aren't quite as nice, but real good when you consider the price. Keep in mind that you will have the first stage take up with the RRA and you CAN'T use a trigger adjusting screw with them.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I've used the ALG QMS with JP reduced reliability springs in several recent builds. I did not use the adjuster screws, and after assembly, I really don't think they are neeed. All the trigger pulls are quite nice. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but would estimate the pull weight to be in the 3-4 lb range. There is a small amount of take up(I like some take up) and decently crisp break. Much better than most stock mil spec triggers. Do keep in mind that the hammer fall is noticeably lighter and this set up may not be reliable with all ammo. Especially the Russian stuff from what I've heard. ( I don't use the stuff in my guns anyway) I haven't had time for much range time and have only test fired one AR so far. Ran fine with American Eagle. Did another build with the RRA two stage. The ALGs aren't quite as nice, but real good when you consider the price. Keep in mind that you will have the first stage take up with the RRA and you CAN'T use a trigger adjusting screw with them.

Thanks for the input, Hitman!. If I do go the QMS route with the JP springs, I will bob the hammer like I've done with my others. It allows the hammer to move faster, which solves the light strike problem.

insidethebox

Shooter
    I've got the ALG QMS in my recently completed build and while I don't have much AR experience to compare it to, I really like it. The reset is short and sharp and the pull is smooth. For the price, it seems to be a great option.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Got the QMS and JP spring kit yesterday. I'm going to test it with the supplied springs first, then the yellow springs. I'll order the trigger adjuster later if needed. I'll update this thread with my thoughts.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Played around with the trigger today.

First I installed the QMS with the springs it comes with. It was MUCH smoother than any stock mil-spec trigger I've ever tried; however, it was still a little stiffer than I wanted for a hunting rifle.

Second, I cut the tail off the hammer and installed the JP springs. This resulted in a much lighter pull, but it still has just a little more creep than I would like. Looks like I'll be getting the Joe Bob's trigger adjuster screw and hopefully it will be perfect after that.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    That or similar is about the only way to get that last bit of creep out.

Top Bottom