Article about the Monier shooting back in 2009??? More great reporting from the PNJ!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TURTLE

Marksman
    Did anyone else read the article in todays paper about the inccident? It could be just me but you would almost think that the Paper is pissed off at the Sheriffs office and paticularly Jeremy Cassidy ( Some of you know him on here, not gonna put his screen name up as I don't know if he wants to chime in) But I gotta say I was getting more and more mad as I read the article. They made it look prettty bad, and I don't think those guys deserve that myself.

Mods, if Jeremy or you guys feel this needs to come down feel free. I don't want to start anything but It did stir me up a bit.

jakec

Master
    i saw Jeremys pic on the front page as i was walking in the tom thumb and stopped to read it. i got the same feeling from it as you did turtle. pretty shitty of them. i used to buy a paper every day but havent in a few years now because of stuff like this.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Same here. I canceled my delivery but they never shut off my online service so I look at it from time to time. Kinda weird but today, Jeremy was on the front page and another member of the "Other" forum was on the wall of shame, lol. I hope they will demand a retraction from the paper because that article right there could severly hurt Jury selection. I mean when you read it they make it sound like 4 Barney Phifes and Andy went to the scene and intentionaly screwed it all up on a power trip!! Bad reporting that could cost some good guys careers and more. They way it was written it sounds like a riminal charge is forthcoming. BS

SAWMAN

Master
    I initially missed this,but was alerted to the article by another forum member who also has some "concerns" about this ongoing investigation. The following is what I get from the PNJ. I was not there ,nor am I privy to any other info than what is "public knowledge".

The above posters on this subject definitely have a different view than myself(and some others)have. I definitely DO NOT agree with them. They seemed to have jumped to the direct opposite conclusion that they have accused the PNJ of having. Please allow me to break this down somewhat.

The lawsuit has been brought on by the HOSTAGE against four ECSO deputies and the high sheriff(Morgan) for negligence and excessive force in their handling of the below situation.

The BG broke into his ex-girlfriends house and refused to leave. In the house was also the girlfriends daughter AND infant child. The lady,her daughter,and her infant son all locked themselves in the bedroom. The BG was outside. Four deputies arrived mistaking the neighbors house as the location of the incident. The BG,who had a gun,was leaving the house through the garage door,ALONE. He saw the deputies and retreated back into the house,went into the bedroom and grabbed his hostage,the ex-girlfriend. The deputies came into the b bedroom and all pointed their weapons at the BG. At this point the BG apparently allowed the daughter and infant son to leave the room(thank goodness!).The BG grabbed his ex and used her as a shield.

On the way to the scene the ranking deputy INSTRUCTED Cassady(Mullet Hunter)and the other three deputies to WITHDRAW and NOT FIRE their weapons. The BG was heard at three different times on the police tape,"if you just put your gun down,I can walk the hostage and the rest of us out of here. Please don't shoot me". Cassady continued to threaten the BG saying he'd blow his brains out. I am thinking...with his weapon drawn and pointing directly at the head of the BG. This,contrary to the orders of the senior deputy. (At this point did the BG even have his weapon drawn ??)

The senior deputy on he scene was heard on tape telling Cassady(Mullet Hunter) to "shut up,according to the law suit. But the senior officer at the scene had to leave the room to calm down his K9 which had become agitated and UNCONTROLLABLE. (HUH ??) At this point Cassady began moving towards the BG(I assume with his weapon still pointing towards the head of the BG, and contrary to the orders of the senior officer at the scene) and stated,"This has got to be a head shot". The BG stated" Please do not take the shot....Please don't shoot me." The deputy,Cassady, FIRED his weapon,missing the BG(at what distance ??) and hitting the hostage in the neck. At this point the other two offices that was in the room started firing their weapons at (?)the BG. The deputies hit the hostage three times before the BG DREW HIS GUN.(Yep that is what the paper sez) As the BG tried too move into the bathroom with the hostage,the deputies fired 13(more ?)shots,including THRU the bedroom wall,into the bathroom. (AT the BG and his hostage?? WOW !!) The hostage was hit 5 times,the BG was not hit.

During this time the hostage was heard yelling,"Please stop,you are killing me! You are killing me!". Finally the senior officer was able to stop Cassady(MULLET HUNTER)and the other officers from shooting. The SWAT team was called in and within 10 minutes the hostage was treated for her wounds.

The FDLE and State Attorney's Office previously ruled the shooting by the deputies......JUSTIFIED. Yeah,the police investigating the police. Sounds about normal and definately unbiased to me.

This MULLET HUNTER(Deputy Cassady)guy had a long history of his "holier than thou" comments on this forum. Like Nixon,if a deputy does it,it can't be wrong, is how I personally took his comments. Quite possibly what he has posted on this forum will be heard by the jury of his/our peers. It just might shed some light on his attitude during the above incident.

A couple of things that I do not understand. Was Cassady shot during this circle jerk or was it an entirely different circle jerk ?? Did the BG in the above circle jerk EVER,at ANY time aim his weapon at the officers,or fire his weapon ???

The above is one persons opinion. I,as you,have the right to express it. Other opinions of the deputies behavior will(and do)obviously differ from mine. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

flyandscuba

Master
    Such lawsuits following an incident are quite common -- no matter the circumstances or true facts in a case. My company deals with them all the time. The plantiff attorneys know to use the "shotgun" tactic of naming anyone and everyone involved in an incident as a party in the lawsuit. Negligent training, negligent supervision, negligent retention of employees, and even negligent hiring -- are all claims made commonly in incidents involving law enforcement.

The defense attorneys will work to peel off layers of the onion and remove parties from the lawsuit. In the end, there will be a settlement to the plantiff by the Sheriff's law enforcement liability insurance carrier (Florida Sheriff's Association Self Insurance Fund) -- the lawsuit will never make it to the courtroom.

Last edited:

TURTLE

Marksman
    I initially missed this,but was alerted to the article by another forum member who also has some "concerns" about this ongoing investigation. The following is what I get from the PNJ. I was not there ,nor am I privy to any other info than what is "public knowledge".

The above posters on this subject definitely have a different view than myself(and some others)have. I definitely DO NOT agree with them. They seemed to have jumped to the direct opposite conclusion that they have accused the PNJ of having. Please allow me to break this down somewhat.

The lawsuit has been brought on by the HOSTAGE against four ECSO deputies and the high sheriff(Morgan) for negligence and excessive force in their handling of the below situation.

The BG broke into his ex-girlfriends house and refused to leave. In the house was also the girlfriends daughter AND infant child. The lady,her daughter,and her infant son all locked themselves in the bedroom. The BG was outside. Four deputies arrived mistaking the neighbors house as the location of the incident. The BG,who had a gun,was leaving the house through the garage door,ALONE. He saw the deputies and retreated back into the house,went into the bedroom and grabbed his hostage,the ex-girlfriend. The deputies came into the b bedroom and all pointed their weapons at the BG. At this point the BG apparently allowed the daughter and infant son to leave the room(thank goodness!).The BG grabbed his ex and used her as a shield.

On the way to the scene the ranking deputy INSTRUCTED Cassady(Mullet Hunter)and the other three deputies to WITHDRAW and NOT FIRE their weapons. The BG was heard at three different times on the police tape,"if you just put your gun down,I can walk the hostage and the rest of us out of here. Please don't shoot me". Cassady continued to threaten the BG saying he'd blow his brains out. I am thinking...with his weapon drawn and pointing directly at the head of the BG. This,contrary to the orders of the senior deputy. (At this point did the BG even have his weapon drawn ??)

The senior deputy on he scene was heard on tape telling Cassady(Mullet Hunter) to "shut up,according to the law suit. But the senior officer at the scene had to leave the room to calm down his K9 which had become agitated and UNCONTROLLABLE. (HUH ??) At this point Cassady began moving towards the BG(I assume with his weapon still pointing towards the head of the BG, and contrary to the orders of the senior officer at the scene) and stated,"This has got to be a head shot". The BG stated" Please do not take the shot....Please don't shoot me." The deputy,Cassady, FIRED his weapon,missing the BG(at what distance ??) and hitting the hostage in the neck. At this point the other two offices that was in the room started firing their weapons at (?)the BG. The deputies hit the hostage three times before the BG DREW HIS GUN.(Yep that is what the paper sez) As the BG tried too move into the bathroom with the hostage,the deputies fired 13(more ?)shots,including THRU the bedroom wall,into the bathroom. (AT the BG and his hostage?? WOW !!) The hostage was hit 5 times,the BG was not hit.

During this time the hostage was heard yelling,"Please stop,you are killing me! You are killing me!". Finally the senior officer was able to stop Cassady(MULLET HUNTER)and the other officers from shooting. The SWAT team was called in and within 10 minutes the hostage was treated for her wounds.

The FDLE and State Attorney's Office previously ruled the shooting by the deputies......JUSTIFIED. Yeah,the police investigating the police. Sounds about normal and definately unbiased to me.

This MULLET HUNTER(Deputy Cassady)guy had a long history of his "holier than thou" comments on this forum. Like Nixon,if a deputy does it,it can't be wrong, is how I personally took his comments. Quite possibly what he has posted on this forum will be heard by the jury of his/our peers. It just might shed some light on his attitude during the above incident.

A couple of things that I do not understand. Was Cassady shot during this circle jerk or was it an entirely different circle jerk ?? Did the BG in the above circle jerk EVER,at ANY time aim his weapon at the officers,or fire his weapon ???

The above is one persons opinion. I,as you,have the right to express it. Other opinions of the deputies behavior will(and do)obviously differ from mine. --- SAWMAN

Just to be clear, I neither know Jeremy or was at this , as you very correctly called it " Circle Jerk". I simply don't like the media in any form judging a person and printing things like this until AFTER the trial if there is one. This is a small town and getting 12 people that don't know about this and can fairly hear the FACTS will be hard.

I agree that Mullet Hunter is abrasive, and I don't agree with many of his posts, and if the article proves to be accurate I have to call Douche Bag on the behaivior at that scene. If all that is accurate and true then this whole thing could have been avoided if they would have let Monier leave and then persue him right? Then a second chance was given when the lady said "I can get us all out of here is you just put your guns away" And that statement was followed by this " It's gotta be a head shot" And then take the shot , miss , and hit the victimin the neck !!! Then she ends up getting hit four more times and the BG never gets hit??? First thing I thought was RANGE TIME ANYONE? Yea, it don't look good if it's true, but thats for a jury to descide not a newspaper. just my $.02

SAWMAN

Master
    I agree with your above. This is why I want/wanted to be clear as to what was in the paper vs my own feelings. I personally believe that the real atrocity here is the deputies lack of training. Here's what I think. Start with a completely independent panel of trainers. Not to train...BUT to,at least initially, evaluate. I feel that the public has the absolute right to know what "our finest" are capable of. Isn't it/wasn't it this sheriff that shot down the fitness program for the deputies of ECSO ?? Must be, cuz I see them from between 20 and some as much as 50lbs over weight. Not all....HOWEVER....quite a few.

I would also ask that we all ask ourselves this....What if Jackie Rosenbloom(the "hostage")was your sister,mother,aunt,etc. ???????? Would you still feel that she was treated fairly and with respect ?? At anytime was her life put in jepordy ?? Was the utmost of care taken with regards to her well being ?? Come on !! The BG with her in tow ran into the bathroom and the (IMO) completely out of control deputies actually shot thru the wall at someone,who,anyone,the BG......pick one.

IF(remember I said IF)all/most/any of this whole circle jerk is even remotely true, do you want your wife,sister,aunt,etc. ever to be taken hostage and have Escambia County's "finest" come to her aid ?? Not me...HELL NO.

Another question I would ask is this. If the federal suit that was initiated by Miss/Mrs. Rosenbloom has no merit,if what was released into public record and/or the the PNJ is simply bullshit, then the Rosenbloom lawyer would be pretty damned stoooopid knowing that at the trial he will have to put "his money where his mouth is". He will have to absolutely prove what his clients claims are. RIGHT ?? I would damn near bet a paycheck that he can...and will. --- SAWMAN

TURTLE

Marksman
    I agree with your above. This is why I want/wanted to be clear as to what was in the paper vs my own feelings. I personally believe that the real atrocity here is the deputies lack of training. Here's what I think. Start with a completely independent panel of trainers. Not to train...BUT to,at least initially, evaluate. I feel that the public has the absolute right to know what "our finest" are capable of. Isn't it/wasn't it this sheriff that shot down the fitness program for the deputies of ECSO ?? Must be, cuz I see them from between 20 and some as much as 50lbs over weight. Not all....HOWEVER....quite a few.

I would also ask that we all ask ourselves this....What if Jackie Rosenbloom(the "hostage")was your sister,mother,aunt,etc. ???????? Would you still feel that she was treated fairly and with respect ?? At anytime was her life put in jepordy ?? Was the utmost of care taken with regards to her well being ?? Come on !! The BG with her in tow ran into the bathroom and the (IMO) completely out of control deputies actually shot thru the wall at someone,who,anyone,the BG......pick one.

IF(remember I said IF)all/most/any of this whole circle jerk is even remotely true, do you want your wife,sister,aunt,etc. ever to be taken hostage and have Escambia County's "finest" come to her aid ?? Not me...HELL NO.

HELL NO!

Another question I would ask is this. If the federal suit that was initiated by Miss/Mrs. Rosenbloom has no merit,if what was released into public record and/or the the PNJ is simply bullshit, then the Rosenbloom lawyer would be pretty damned stoooopid knowing that at the trial he will have to put "his money where his mouth is". He will have to absolutely prove what his clients claims are. RIGHT ?? I would damn near bet a paycheck that he can...and will. --- SAWMAN

As far as the shootings, It sounds like not a single shot was done correctly or was even called for under normal protocalls. The guy never shot at them according to the article right? So after the VICTIM gets all shot up and a negotiator shows up, it's a whole ten minutes before it's all good. That should tell you things were not going well with the street beat on the scene right?

The 911 calls if that is true with the K-9 guy telingl Jeremy to shut up , and then when he goes out to control his dog, all the shooting starts. Through walls blindly and all. I'm still shocked that of all the shots fired, and there were alot. Not one made it to the intended target but 5 made it to the victim. Either God does not like her or some SERIOUS range time is needed, lol.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I really hate to hear this account, wonder if it is anywhere true, I cannot tell as I was not there. I do feel bad for the victim and the LEO's being drug through the mud so am not going to comment further on what should or may have happened. I agree with Scuba, this will all get settled out of court as most are done.

SAWMAN

Master
    Yep probably out of court. UNFORTUNATELY.........if the plaintiff wins a substantial amount of money the countys insurance premimums will go up at the taxpayers expense and if the deputies are found negligent .........they will walk, and be looked at by their fellow union members as hero's. Truly sad,IMO.

If it were me i'd want the truth be well known by way of a jury trial. ---SAWMAN

Jason

Master
    Really funny how folks draw their own conclusions on how the situation went down. I especially like it when folks always puff up their chest and talk about "what they would do" if faced with a lethal force situation. Truth: No one knows what he/she would do in this situation....Crappy situation to ever be put into, but there is an instantaneous moment to make a choice. The case will be settled out of court and she will get money. Does she deserve compensation for what happened? Sure. Were the officers wrong in doing what they had to do? Each separate officer could tell you if they would do it again....I can tell you if my life felt like it was in jeopardy, I would do what I could to survive.

This ain't the movies/TV and folks need to start realizing the difference between real life and fiction.

CCHGN

Banned
    Yep probably out of court. UNFORTUNATELY.........if the plaintiff wins a substantial amount of money the countys insurance premimums will go up at the taxpayers expense and if the deputies are found negligent .........they will walk, and be looked at by their fellow union members as hero's. Truly sad,IMO.

If it were me i'd want the truth be well known by way of a jury trial. ---SAWMAN

Unfortunately, even in a trial, you'd be surprised how much info can be suppressed and inadmissable to the jury.

Snow Bird

Master
    I cannot beleave how bad a shot some PO are. New York how many GG were shot on the street. I don't remember if the BG was even hit in that circle Jerk. I know of one GHP officer that had his gun and car taken away because he could'nt qualfy with his hand gun. When the adrelin starts flowing I would guess site picture and trigger control go flat out the window. 13 rounds fired and only the GG was hit I would think would call for dismisal pretty much on the spot. Just my.02.

Welldoya

Master
    Unfortunately, even in a trial, you'd be surprised how much info can be suppressed and inadmissable to the jury.

You are so right. I have been told stories of evidence being suppressed by the judge that left me scratching my head. The only conclusion that I could come to was that the judge had been bribed. I would think all evidence should be out in the open.

Seanpcola

Really funny how folks draw their own conclusions on how the situation went down. I especially like it when folks always puff up their chest and talk about "what they would do" if faced with a lethal force situation. Truth: No one knows what he/she would do in this situation....Crappy situation to ever be put into, but there is an instantaneous moment to make a choice. The case will be settled out of court and she will get money. Does she deserve compensation for what happened? Sure. Were the officers wrong in doing what they had to do? Each separate officer could tell you if they would do it again....I can tell you if my life felt like it was in jeopardy, I would do what I could to survive.

This ain't the movies/TV and folks need to start realizing the difference between real life and fiction.

Never been in a bad situation and I have no LEO training whatsoever but I think the above quote is probably 100% spot on.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    i would never spend money on the PNJ but I do read it online and have read this article over and over.
    when the PNJ holds you up for subscription [ which they have done to me ] just clear all cookies and your good to go again.

whether or not the officers were a bunch of keystone cops or not I sure wouldn't want their help If I was going to get shot 5 times including shooting through a wall when a Innocent person is being used as a shield , he wasn't going anywhere and an attempted head shot that missed and hit the good guy sucks. ether way it makes ECSO look pretty bad and I am sure she will win a HUGE Settlement or judgement .I know I was once threatened to be tasered by an ECSO in Burks machine shop when I was a customer because he wanted to scare someone for his own entertainment
    I had already decided to fight instead of being tasered and he backed down and he asked if there was someone else they wanted him to scare !
    after he left the owner apologised to me and said he wasn't ever cut out to be a cop and was a auto parts salesman before he got hired .I know there are some good cops but they are plenty of bad ones also and this don't place any confidence in my mind .

Top Bottom