• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Curious what everyone here thinks are the best die sets?

I have an XL650 but need to set up some conversions. I am looking at doing 9mm, 44 mag, 223 and 30-06. I am pretty loyal to Dillon since their customer service has been awesome for me. But the 223 and 30-06 dies are way expensive compared to other premium brands like Redding.

I also noticed RCBS has some cool allen wrench locks on the rings which could be helpful.

Just wondering with factoring in all of these things what would be a good set to settle on for these? Or all in all are they all pretty interchangeable? I'm not looking at any match or custom stuff. Just range fodder and for closer range hunting.

jam0066

Expert
    I have a mix of hornady and RCBS dies on my LNL-AP. I much prefer the hornady lock rings as the lock ring Allen screw doesn’t bite into the die threads on the hornady. I prefer the RCBS sizing die to the hornady though because it is easier to remove a stuck case in my opinion (this one is hard to explain). I don’t have any experiences with Redding or Dillon dies. I have never had any inconsistency issues with either die set and both companies have premium die sets with micrometer adjustments for OAL if that’s your thing

BamaFaninMilton

Emeritus
    I have used Hornady, Lee, RCBS, and Redding loading dies, they all seem to work just fine for what I need them to do. I've never used a progressive press though, so not sure what sort of longevity issues might pop up from heavy usage.

RustedBolt

Shooter
    I have a mix of hornady and RCBS dies on my LNL-AP. I much prefer the hornady lock rings as the lock ring Allen screw doesn’t bite into the die threads on the hornady. I prefer the RCBS sizing die to the hornady though because it is easier to remove a stuck case in my opinion (this one is hard to explain). I don’t have any experiences with Redding or Dillon dies. I have never had any inconsistency issues with either die set and both companies have premium die sets with micrometer adjustments for OAL if that’s your thing
    I second this post in all respects. I have used progressive presses for pistol calibers and his comments apply there as well. The only Redding dies I have used are on single stage presses. There, they perform similar to Hornady.

BowChamp

Expert
    I have a mix of Forster, Redding, RCBS and Hornady.

They've all been good for me.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have a strong mix of Redding & RCBS...with some Lee pistol and Dillon pistol. There are things to like and dislike about each. I don't care for the way Dillon 9mm dies sizes the case. If the lead ball is under the set screw most of them don't dig into the die threads...the aggrivating part of that is you may need to remove the die and rap it on the setscrew to make the adjustment. Most RCBS have weep holes at the shoulder to help relieve over lubing issues...Redding doesn't. I like the body dies Redding makes. I like the Competion dies...but dropping the bullet in the top of the RCBS is kinda nice too. All dies will stick a case if you let them...Dillon has built in case removers...don't have to remove the die to get it out.

not sure there is a best

wildrider666

Master
    The Dillon dies are a bit more open on the mouth specifically for progressive presses to tolerate cases being a bit off center better than other dies with smaller mouth dies. I don't know how true this is with current production dies, RCBS has a Progressive press now but IDK if changes were made to the Line of Dies. All dies have "Crowned" mouths so IDK if it really makes a difference. I used Dillion dies in a 650 when I had it and RCBS Dies for the Rockchucker. Yeah, some were doubles of the same calibers but most were straight wall Carbide upgrades anyway. I could experiment with the dies in the Rockchucker and not screw up the preset Dillions. Dies were cheaper back then too.

Top Bottom