• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Bill would allow concealed weapons across state lines

By Tim Devaney - 02/12/15 01:19 PM EST

Gun owners would be allowed to carry concealed weapons around the country under new legislation introduced in the Senate.

The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act would allow gun owners who have a concealed carry permit in their home state to bring their firearms in any other state with concealed-carry laws.

"This operates more or less like a driver’s license,” Sen. John Cornyn (Texas), the second-ranking Republican in the upper chamber, told The Hill. "So, for example, if you have a driver’s license in Texas, you can drive in New York, in Utah and other places, subject to the laws of those states."
    Cornyn, a Texas Republican, said this would “eliminate some of the ‘gotcha moments,’ where people inadvertently cross state lines” with guns they are legally allowed to carry in their home state.

The National Rifle Association endorsed the bill Thursday, calling it a “much-needed solution to a real problem for gun owners.”

“The current patchwork of state and local laws is confusing for even the most conscientious and well-informed concealed carry permit holders. This confusion often leads to law-abiding gun owners running afoul of the law when they exercise their right to self-protection while traveling or temporarily living away from home,” said Chris Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action.

“Our fundamental right to self-defense does not stop at a state's borders. Law abiding citizens should be able to exercise this right while traveling across state lines,” Cox added.

Gun control groups say the bill poses a significant danger for society at a time when lawmakers should be strengthening background checks to address recent shootings.

“Federally imposed concealed carry laws interfere with states’ fundamental right to determine who is too dangerous to carry hidden, loaded guns in public,” Everytown for Gun Safety President John Feinblatt told The Hill.

Concealed carry is allowed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, but to varying degrees. Most states, but not all, require gun owners to apply for a permit.

Everytown argues that Cornyn’s bill would allow states with the “weakest gun laws to trump the reasonable judgments” of others, since people who qualify for concealed carry permits in some states would get to carry their guns into places with tougher requirements.

A new report from Everytown says that, “some states do thorough criminal background checks on applicants, while other states have such ineffective permitting systems that they inadvertently issue permits to felons."

Cornyn’s bill previously came close to passing in the Democratic-controlled Senate, and may have a better chance this time around under the Republican majority.

Read More:

http://thehill.com/regulation/legisl...un-rights-bill

This was the vote last year:

Yes 57 13 Democrats. 44 Republicans. 60 needed to pass

No 43 Republicans. 40 Democrats

It was only 3 votes short last time but now the landscape has changed with the last elections. If it is going to pass this is the year. I suppose that it will get vetoed though.

flyandscuba

Master
    Da Bro at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue will never sign such a Bill into law. Best to wait and see if someone gun-friendly gets elected in 2016.

Jeb21

Master
    Actually, Obama has not taken any steps to limit gun rights that I am aware of. He actually signed a bill allowing firearm in certain federal lands. I think the bill might have a chance.

Droshki

Master
    But its so much simpler to just blame it all on "Da Bro". Saves all that annoying "thought and analysis " thing. :lalala:

JBryan314

Master
    But its so much simpler to just blame it all on "Da Bro". Saves all that annoying "thought and analysis " thing. :lalala:

Is it really so far fetched to think 0bama would veto this that it requires an asinine sarcastic comment? I really don't think it's a stretch that some think he would be against this. I think he would want to veto if it comes to his desk.

Famine

Master
    The Veto is a Presidents Silver Bullet - in this case with so many of his own party in favor of this bill (by last vote) he would likely think hard before alienating so many of his party when he may need them to sustain for him what may be more important matters in his last years with no House or Senate majority. This is politics and pro quid pro plays into everything. Not to say he wouldn't but it would not be a decision easily made.

Droshki

Master
    Is it really so far fetched to think 0bama would veto this that it requires an asinine sarcastic comment? I really don't think it's a stretch that some think he would be against this. I think he would want to veto if it comes to his desk.

The problem is that a very few of you guys blame everything in the universe on "Da Bro". Every thread-- same old tired rhetoric. Its old, and its useless, and it shows no original thought or analysis. And I know, you were in the Army for four years and worked in the intelligence field; you don't have to tell everyone again. :lalala:

Droshki

Master
    The Veto is a Presidents Silver Bullet - in this case with so many of his own party in favor of this bill (by last vote) he would likely think hard before alienating so many of his party when he may need them to sustain for him what may be more important matters in his last years with no House or Senate majority. This is politics and pro quid pro plays into everything. Not to say he wouldn't but it would not be a decision easily made.

See? Now THAT showed some thought and analysis. :cheer2:

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    The problem is that a very few of you guys blame everything in the universe on "Da Bro". Every thread-- same old tired rhetoric. Its old, and its useless, and it shows no original thought or analysis. And I know, you were in the Army for four years and worked in the intelligence field; you don't have to tell everyone again. :lalala:

I just wana take this opportunity again to just say that I really just don't like Droski.(and u don't have to tell everyone again that I spell it wrong) hahahahhahahahahhaBANhhahahha

Here is the thing, if they get 66 or more votes supporting the bill and Obutthead still vetoes it, they can still over-ride the veto with a majority 2/3 vote (66 or more). The important thing is to get that 2/3 majority vote going in.

bohica793

Master
    The problem is that a very few of you guys blame everything in the universe on "Da Bro".:

I don't blame everything on Obama. I blame most everything on liberals and the culture of dependency, victimhood, entitlement, Orwellian language construction and political correctness that they have cultivated in our society. He just happens to be the current poster child for this segment of the population.

Droshki

Master
    I don't blame everything on Obama. I blame most everything on liberals and the culture of dependency, victimhood, entitlement, Orwellian language construction and political correctness that they have cultivated in our society. He just happens to be the current poster child for this segment of the population.

I can buy that. Well articulated.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit

Jeb21

Master
    What I don't understand is what has happened to the respect due to the office of the President. Once the election is over and someone is put in power, he is our nation's leader. Childish, petty attacks on the man in office may be a constitutional right but it still demeans the office and our country. The GOP lost the last two presidential elections, which is a shame, but it is time for us to stop being sore losers and get on with the business of supporting our elected leader.

Droshki

Master
    What I don't understand is what has happened to the respect due to the office of the President. Once the election is over and someone is put in power, he is our nation's leader. Childish, petty attacks on the man in office may be a constitutional right but it still demeans the office and our country. The GOP lost the last two presidential elections, which is a shame, but it is time for us to stop being sore losers and get on with the business of supporting our elected leader.

Exactly. I get it that some people don't like the man, his party, or his politics, but he's still the duly elected leader of our country and should be treated as such. Demeaning the office loudly, frequently, and publicly, only makes us look weak and divided to other nations.

In any event, there will be another Bush in the White house in 2 years anyways, so It'll be great to see what people complain about then :rant:

I do not believe we have diminished the office of the President, Obama has done that all by himself. I have been around since just before JFK was President and there has never been so little disrespect for that office since Bill Clinton/Hillary was in office. The Presidential position is something to be respected, but the person occupying that position has to earn the respect. The same goes for any elected position. When a person takes their office, they are to respect their position and the people that they serve, and I mean SERVE. Many of them forget this part. They are public servants. They are to put the welfare of this country first and foremost. They are to lookout for the needs of the country as a whole, not special interests. They are responsible for making sure this nation remains united and not drive a wedge separating the people even more so than they ever have been. As far as supporting the person in office, I will do so if they are doing just what I have said. If their agenda is to cause more disparity and discontent by serving immoral special interest groups and liberal progressive propaganda that erodes our nation even more, then I cannot and will not support them. The President is suppose to be our elected official that is to look out for the people of this country and do what it takes to make every effort to see that we are all represented equally. When a President embarks his own political agenda to support certain ethnic groups, religious groups, immoral special interest groups, and dismisses the values and morals of which this nation was founded, he is no leader of mine. Our current President has done more harm to this country and our relations with other allied countries than any President I can remember. It is not about being sore losers, it is about seeing our country's reputation being diminished and disrespected all because of one man's agenda and his associated political party affiliation.

Droshki

Master
    1-14-2015-OBAMA_1.png

1 1 1.gif

2 2 2.png

I think I might see the problem here :)

Attachments

• 1-14-2015-OBAMA_1.png
      1-14-2015-OBAMA_1.png
      9 KB · Views: 163
    • 2 2 2.png
      2 2 2.png
      9.1 KB · Views: 161
    • 1 1 1.gif
      1 1 1.gif
      11.9 KB · Views: 168

Dan1612

Master
    In any event, there will be another Bush in the White house in 2 years anyways, so It'll be great to see what people complain about then :rant:
    Let's just hope this one actually knows how to speak English.

bohica793

Master

Respect is earned. Simply being elected does not entitle you to respect, although in our entitlement society, many believe it does. I have a great respect for the office and absolutely none for the current occupant of it.

Fletch

Master
    The same level of hate and vitriol was thrown at Bush by the left. Surely no one is so naive as to believe that only the left serves their special interest while in the white house. That's all it's about these days is special interest. The middle class average American has almost no one representing them in Washington. The republicans have always got my vote for the most part but not anymore.

I'm sick of it and see it for what it is. They all campaign, left and right, on a bunch of feel good slogans claiming to be looking out for the average American and all quote the Constitution. I may not have learned much in 41 years, but at least I know politicians are full of complete and utter bullshit and only looking out for their self-interest and of those they are beholden to.

Even one's with best intentions get caught up in the game and corrupted. The system is broken and needs to be fixed. I don't think it's possible for an honest man or women to be elected to office these days. Rand Paul gives me a little hope but my guess is the machine will bring him down before becomes to much of a threat to the status quo. When I see a guy being viciously attacked by the left & right alike I know he's probably one of the good guys and a real threat to the establishment.

Top Bottom