• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turkworkz

Shooter
    I need some expert advice. I found this military box of .30 caliber ammo while cleaning out my mother's storage house. It was my father's. He passed in Feb. 1993. I'm sure the ammo is over 30 years old. He owned Remington a 30-06 ADL. Would this be ammo for his gun? If not, what gun will shoot this ammo? Also, I wonder what the value would be today? Any experts out there who might know?

Attachments

• 30 Cal Ammo Box 1.jpg
      30 Cal Ammo Box 1.jpg
      60.9 KB · Views: 135
    • 30 Cal Ammo Box 2.jpg
      30 Cal Ammo Box 2.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 148
    • 30 Cal Ammo Box 3.jpg
      30 Cal Ammo Box 3.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 147

P4RET

Expert
    I am not an expert, but it looks like there is 264 rounds of 3006 ammo. Would have to measure a round to be sure. And it may be corrosive.

Norm

Expert
    I wouldn’t claim to be an expert, but it appears that what you have there is indeed 30-06 Ammo.
    Assuming that the description on the Ammo can is correct, and it appears that it is except the ammo is not in clips, I’d say you have a loose can of M2 ball Ammo. M2 ball is/was 30-06 consisting of a 150 grain full metal jacketed bullet loaded to a velocity of approx 2750 feet per second. The head stamp looks like 1954 vintage. It would indeed fire in your father’s ADL, but would not be acceptable as a hunting round. If Mom’s storage house is not climate controlled, the ammo has likely been subjected to many many periods of pretty high temperatures. Over time, heat will degrade Ammo. I wouldn’t attempt to put a value on it, but it wouldn’t be much in my opinion. Maybe someone else will weigh in and have more insight for you.
    Hope this helps.

Daezee

Master
    All WCC 54 USGI ball ammo is noncorrosive primed, so no danger of rusting the bore if not cleaned for having shot corrosive primed ammunition.

Safe for use in any good condition 30/06 rifle. Beginning with lot #6428 in 1951, WCC 30/06 ball ammo was noncorrosive primed. Value in my opinion is 60-75 cents a round (others might value it higher). Perfect for shooting in the M1 rifle.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    primary food for garands

oneshot

Master
    If you are interested saleing I would be instersted , would want to try a couple in my M-1, al ways looking for ammo for my M-1. are you are welcome to come over and will help you check it out if nothing else it would be to good pull down for components jj Would also do some trading like 22 or 9mm

Last edited:

Turkworkz

Shooter
    As Paul Harvey would say, here's the rest of the story. I found them in my mom's outbuilding. It was not climate controlled. The ammo box was sealed very tight. I had no idea they were from the post WW II era. A very reliable source told me they are non corrosive and the WCC 54 stood for Western Cartridge Company 1954 issue. That's important because there was a good bit of a Dominican imported ammo that corroded and in these later years exploded in the rifle chamber. He told me they are probably be safe to shoot. I was told they should work in a 30.06 and possibly a bolt action magazine fed 30-30. I was told to try cycling it through a bolt action magazine fed 30.06 too, but i don't have one. Also, they should work in an M1 Garand. As to value, he said they would probably bring the same as modern day ammo. Maybe a little more because it is considered to be collectors ammo and box. Per his advise I was told to check some ammo collector message boards for M1's or for Western Cartridge Case ammo. Now that I know the history, most likely I'll probably just keep it. I would not separate the ammo from the ammo can. It's not every day you find 264 rounds of 65 year old +/- .30 caliber ammo in a collector's can. What a find!

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    AS a M1 nut as most on here that knows me, don;t be disappointed, first ammo is not in the clips that the ammo was in as what is marked on the can, ammo is not in org. boxes, I shoot this ammo all the time from the 50-60-70s I And I have about 10 are more of these can that I got ammo in The only thing that stands out on the can is the marks on top of it That showed the ammo was in clips and there is no clips. If any one offers more then 75 c around and more than 20 on the can you may look at taking it AS the ammo history of storage is in question. I still have couple of cans from the 50 that I haven't got in to yet. one is marked FA and RA and 2 WCC Best. Just my 2 cents jj

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    it should sell fast if you are inclined to do so

i will put a $200 offer out as a baseline bid

oneshot

Master
    If you are dec. to sale go ahead and get a RD count , that's going to be the first question , I'm going to say a little over 200. This from my experience with ammo in this 30 cal size can.. Just my 2 cents jj I have been known to be wrong.

oneshot

Master
    If I didn't have a 1050 to load 9mm . I would think about it to Unknown amount not such of condition I think I could come up with that. for some 9mm.

Top Bottom