• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Bold by me.

By Dave Workman / 31 May 2013

Gun prohibitionists on both sides of the Atlantic are trying to ignore the tsunami of support among respondents to a Daily Telegraph poll for repeal of the handgun ban in Great Britain.

The newspaper sought public reaction to a half-dozen proposals for legislation that might be introduced in the House of Commons. Removal of the handgun ban, adopted in 1997 in reaction to the Dunblane school massacre, drew more than 84 percent of the vote, eclipsing all other proposed subjects combined.

The Daily Telegraph is described as the United Kingdom’s “most widely read broadsheet newspaper” by The Commentator.

As this story was filed with TGM, more than 14,190 votes had been cast in the unscientific poll, and of those, 11,955 supported a repeal of the handgun ban, an 84.24 percent vote. It far out-distanced votes for several other measures that Britons would like to see introduced in the House of Commons, according to the newspaper.

The Commentator noted, “While gun crime soared after the British ban in 1997, rates of gun violence have fallen, especially in British cities, following more spending by police forces into tackling gun crime. Police in England and Wales recorded 5,911 firearms offences in 2011/12, a reduction of 42 percent compared with nine years earlier, according to the Office for National Statistics.”

The Commentator also reported that “statistics from the United States show that guns are used by citizens to defend themselves around eighty times more often than they are used to take a life.

“A recent study published in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy concluded that there is a negative correlation between gun ownership and violent crime in countries internationally, that is, ‘where firearms are most dense violent crime rates are lowest, and where guns are least dense violent crime rates are highest’,” the Commentator said.

The Telegraph opened polling on May 24 and votes immediately began rolling in. Regarding the handgun ban repeal suggestion, one reader observed, “After all, why should only criminals be ‘allowed’ to possess guns and shoot unarmed, defenceless citizens and police officers?”

Support for the handgun ban repeal eclipsed the support for the next most popular idea, a flat tax, and left other suggestions trailing in the distance. Those proposals included a term limit for Prime Ministers, a ban on spitting, the greening of public spaces and closing something called the “child maintenance loophole.”

The suggestions were part of a discussion the newspaper reported about “Private Member Bills” that could be offered to Ministers of Parliament. According to the newspaper, “under Commons rules, any MP can introduce a bill, but only a few are ever debated.”

There is no obligation for any of the suggested bills discussed by the newspaper to actually be introduced in Commons.

http://bearingarms.com/brits-want-handgun-ban-repealed-says-newspaper-poll/

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Go figure they would finally wake up!

Seanpcola

Over on another forum this item is being hotly debated ..................by the usual band of anti-gun Brits, you know, the ones that think being nice to Muslims will stop the public disembowelments and such.

tiberius

Shooter
    It's nice that some of our friends in the UK are advocating for their rights again. I hope they succeed, but I'm not optimistic.

I am reminded of this video on the subject:

A great (and terrifying) preview for what could happen here.

Garpo

Master
    It's nice that some of our friends in the UK are advocating for their rights again. I hope they succeed, but I'm not optimistic.

I too am not optimistic. Like John Adams said: "Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

Scrooge

Marksman
    I hope they succeed... it would be good start to putting some common sense into the UK. Now, will they take on their pc muslim problem as well???

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    With 4.5 million people in greater Boston, how many converts do you reckon there were?

Garpo

Master
    With 4.5 million people in greater Boston, how many converts do you reckon there were?

Certainly not enough to make a difference. I lived in yankee land for 50 years and only in the rural areas are there folks that I would consider individualist and remotely conservative. That display of patriotism by yelling USA and cheering at cops on the night of the capture only lasted until the next morning, or at best, a day or two.

Seanpcola

In my dreams? Most of them. Reality? Probably 90% up there figured "The government will take care of it"

Sorry for my momentary slip and thinking the majority still thinks straight.:help:

wildrider666

Master
    They vote them in, they can vote them out just like here. Unfortunatly a paper pole does not reflect what happens at the voting booth hence: bamalama X2.

Members online

Top Bottom