Item Description

Attachments

• Bushcraft Knife.jpg
      Bushcraft Knife.jpg
      6.4 KB · Views: 118
    Last edited:

Red

Master
    I have an Ontario OKC USMC bayonet if interested. Never sharpened, only marks on it are from going in and out of the sheath.

GBtown

Marksman
    Very nice knives sir. I appreciate the offer. Not quite what I'm looking for. I need a plain blade. Will update.

TFRIZZ30

Expert
    Increase your budget a bit and have someone make you a custom knife. You won't regret it. Or build yourself one even better.
    1055b6aa2fa24e0bdeb4b08e92c49b51.jpg
    . I built these not quite to your specs but if you have the time you could make a nice knife for about your budget. You don't need all the fancy equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GBtown

Marksman
    I would love to increase my budget, but it's not an option. I can find what I'm looking for new for around $80 for just the knife (Pathfinder Knife Shop), then another $50 or so for a kydex sheath. Basic bushcraft knife with wood handles. Nothing special, but it will take a beating and I won't have to really worry about it. I've been scouring blade forums, but the custom stuff is just out of my range from what I have seen.
    Your knives look excellent sir. Very nice work. I'd love to build one from a kit, but from the little research I've looked at, I assumed I would need tools that I do not have (belt sander, heat treating, etc.). I think I'll dig in a little more. Did you build yours from a kit? Where from?

TFRIZZ30

Expert
    They were not kits. Harbor freight specials as I call then. I ordered 1084 steel. Some handle scales and some pins. I bought a harbor freight 1x30 belt grinder and angle grinder. All you need besides that is some hand files and a drill again bought cheap at harbor freight. I heat treat mine in an old break drum and charcoal. Then temper in an oven. I would say with buying tools and materials you could be right at $100. I learned from The internet. It is a lot of fun. Knifekits.com is my usual source. If you don't want to heat treat there are people that you send the blade to to be treated for about $20. If you decide to give it a shot let me know and I can tell you more of what I have learned, my knives are not perfect by any means but it is very satisfying carrying your own knife.

GBtown

Marksman
    That sounds fun man. I know there are a ton of videos on how to do it. I'll dig in. I've looked at knifekits.com. Are your scales micarta? Knives full tang? They're pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I don't know a lot about 1084.

TFRIZZ30

Expert
    They are full tang. The scales are called dymalux. Like micarta except it's layered wood impregnated with epoxy. I use 1084 because it is the easiest steel to heat treat at home very similar to 1095.

shootnstarz

Master
    In my looking for the same years ago the Becker BK-7 seemed to be the best deal going for under a Benji. Very popular with the survivalist forum folks, (so I heard, I would never visit) The BK-9 is popular too but is just to big for anything but disassembling large game. I have one if you'd like to look at it, not for sale.

Rick

https://www.amazon.com/200076-Ka-Ba...TF8&qid=1496353691&sr=8-1&keywords=becker+bk7

GBtown

Marksman
    I've looked at the Beckers. Excellent knives. The BK2 is closer, size wise, to what I'm looking for. Looked at the ESEEs also in that similar style. Thank you for the offer sir. I appreciate it.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom