• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • young gun

Shooter
    Hello, I am thinking about changing career paths/ companies and I'm wanting to see what else is out there. Some background information, I am currently working as a project manager for a construction/restoration company, 23 years old, hard worker, can pass a drug test, and I have a clean driving record. I have experience in residential construction, construction management, disaster restoration, telecommunications, and warehouse.

My current job has some ups and downs and thinking about the future, it is looking like a career change might be an order. I'm looking for a solid career and not just another job.

With that said, if you were 23 what career path would you look into and who is hiring?

Thanks for any insight

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    If I was 23 I would be looking to start my own company. With your construction and project management experience you have an excellent background to get licenses in the same field, if you enjoy that kind of work. You could work toward your GC license, a roofing license, or other construction related licenses.
    Being your own boss may mean less security at first, so if you're scared, don't do it. If you have confidence in your abilities, go for it! You're young enough overcome a few failures if you're following your dream. Just don't give up! Figure it out and keep going.
    Thats what I did after two successful careers that I DIDN'T ENJOY. Now I enjoy going to work and wish I HAD DONE IT at your age!
    I think the best advice anyone can give is to "do what you like to do". That way it won't seen too much like work and you'll enjoy getting up in the morning.

Telum Pisces

Master
    That is one open question that only you can answer!

I have always been one to believe in the following statement when it comes to work! Do not follow you passion, take your passion with you. Find something you can enjoy making a living at, but bring your passion to it!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    echoing what the others said, finding something you enjoy and make it your job...

go with what challenges you, keeping in mind something you can do into your old age also...

whatever it is,and it really doesn't matter., do it to the best of your ability, no short cuts, take pride in it

Zeroed in

Master
    Probably stay where you are and Go back to school and get a 4yr degree. But before you do that, ask yourself what it is You want to do be and do. Then you'll know what path to take, and you'll know what degree you'll need. g/l

Realtor

Marksman
    You're 23, join the military and see the world, while getting paid and getting even more culture and life experiences.

FrommerStop

Master
    Probably stay where you are and Go back to school and get a 4yr degree. But before you do that, ask yourself what it is You want to do be and do. Then you'll know what path to take, and you'll know what degree you'll need. g/l
    Yes, if you have the aptitude and inclination go get a PE, your billable hours are a lot more with one. Then if you wanted you could go into the military I suppose. I am not completely up on it, but if you got recruited with a PE, you would probably end up a colonel by retirement and then could work for 10 yrs or so more in the civilian world.

Welldoya

Master
    I’ve always regretted not going into the military, at least for one hitch.
    My Dad was career USAF and I was tired of moving. By the time I was 18, I had never lived anywhere for more than 2 years.
    Even if you don’t make it a career, it’s a good thing to have “veteran” behind your name.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Hello, I am thinking about changing career paths/ companies and I'm wanting to see what else is out there. Some background information, I am currently working as a project manager for a construction/restoration company, 23 years old, hard worker, can pass a drug test, and I have a clean driving record. I have experience in residential construction, construction management, disaster restoration, telecommunications, and warehouse.

My current job has some ups and downs and thinking about the future, it is looking like a career change might be an order. I'm looking for a solid career and not just another job.

With that said, if you were 23 what career path would you look into and who is hiring?

Thanks for any insight

The bad thing about Construction is that it can be spotty as heck if you stay in one area...many do the Hurricane Repair thing and go all over the south working like crazy but making mad cash. Although a solid guy could make a bundle just working the Panama City/Port St. Joe area for the next 5 years...still, everytime it rains hard, ya gotta stop working unless the roof is up.

Military is a great choice, gets some solid experience and work ethic going...plus there are college bennies & other programs that are really worthwhile. I put $100 a month into Gov't Bonds...back then they matched up to $100, so it was giving me an extra $100 worth for my trouble. So after they matured, it was a nice nest egg to buy a Harley with...altho I should have bought land with it...would have been smarter.

Truck Driving is still a decent way to make good money, but it is a relationship destroyer. Plan on being single for the duration...because these days, ya just can't trust gals to stay home and be good wives...much like Military Life. The other bad thing about trucking is that in about 30 years, it'll be GONE. Those Auto-drive trucks are coming...they'l still need humans for awhile...and to load/unload, but a day is coming where CDL's may very well be a thing of the past.

And if you want inane amounts of money at around the ten year mark...Big Pharma. Drug reps who stay in it end up making bookoo bucks. Thing with drug reps is they actually check up behind them to see where the Samples go. If they all go to the Docs as intended, you move up into management after a couple years and then the real money starts rolling in. So it really pays to be dead honest there and keep really good records of what you gave to who & where.

Other than that, Hotel management is about it for big bucks on the Gold Coast with little college time. Start as a Night Auditor and put in the time for a couple accounting & Hotel Management courses online to boost your knowledge of the biz. Then you switch hotels every year or two, moving up in position each time. Stick with BIG CHAINS, Mom & Pop operations just weigh you down unless its your first job/foot in the door. Choice Hotel chain, Hilton hotel chain, etc...and watch a lot of Hotel Impossible if you don't believe me about Mom & Pop operations. Also, don't work on the "Bad Side of Town" because that rep as a hooker hotel runner will kill a career. Might be OK for a foot in the door/first job, but its definitely a "get outta there fast" kinda thing.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
    Ask folks you know, over 40, that seem happy and well adjusted, what they did, and see if one of those options is right for you.

SAWMAN

Master
    Open a gunshop.
    Get some tat's and mirror shades and become a trainer.
    Start your own lawn care buisness.
    Shingle roofs.
    Get a job at Ridge Runners sorting "stuff".
    Start a (legal) marijuana farm.
    Combine all of the above. --- SAWMAN

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    So I currently find myself being medically retired after i have these two surgeries. One for my spine and one for a hiatal hernia(stomach poked through my diaphragm and now is sitting near my heart and lungs). I am currently enrolled in nursing school and will graduate in 3 more semesters. It's a little scary since i am the bread winner for my family. The wife works as a teacher. I just can't not work. I chose a career i know i will be happy in. I can't do a job no matter the pay that I'm not happy in. Once graduated, we will be leaving Colorado and most likely will be returning to florida. Can't stand how liberal this fucking state is. Plus florida doesn't get cold as fuck.

Overall, you have to be happy in your line of work. Plain and simple.

IronBeard

Master
    I grew up doing construction work. I have worked both commercial and residential. I don't think a day went by that one of the older guys didn't tell me to get out of the business before I was too old to do something else. Eventually, the cost of living a decent life drove me to better paying, more secure work. I have to say I still miss it, and the smell of a building site gives me flash-backs. If you really enjoy it, and I mean you love/live for it, do it now while you have the energy/ability to ride out the hard times.

Top Bottom