• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Maybe not such a bad idea to cut loose that liberal end of the state. :eek:hwell:
    “It’s very apparent that the attitude of the northern part of the state is that they would just love to saw the state in half and just let us float off into the Caribbean," Stoddard said.

The resolution lists the northern border of what would be the state of South Florida as being Brevard, Orange, Polk, Hillsborough and Pinellas counties. In total, the proposed 51st state would include 24 counties.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-state-of-south-florida-20141021-post.html

Stagman

Master
    Alabama should get the panhandle all the way to the Georgia line. I still don't know how Florida got that land anyway.

Viking1204

Master
    Alabama should get the panhandle all the way to the Georgia line. I still don't know how Florida got that land anyway.

That would be cool, then I wouldn't have to pay for the out of state hunting license which Alabama is very proud of!

Garpo

Master
    And we could trade and sell firearms without the hassle and expense of using an FFL. :madgrin:

dead-bird

Marksman
    Alabama annexation proposals
    During the course of the century, proposals for ceding the Florida counties west of the Apalachicola River to Alabama were often raised:

In 1811, while Florida was still a Spanish possession, American residents sent a petition to Congress asking to be incorporated into the Mississippi Territory, which at that time included present-day Alabama.[8] (See West Florida article.)
    In 1819, the constitutional convention of Alabama asked Congress to include West Florida in their new state.[8]
    In 1822, only a year after the U.S. acquired the entire Florida territory from Spain, residents of West Florida sent a petition to the U.S. House of Representatives asking that their section be annexed to Alabama, and Alabama Senator John Williams Walker also promoted the idea.[7]
    In 1826, the Pensacola Gazette published a number of letters advocating annexation to Alabama, though the editor remarked that some Pensacolians opposed the idea.[7]
    In 1840, a public meeting in Pensacola produced a demand that West Florida be united with Alabama. In the same year, the territorial Legislature notified Congress that it opposed allowing Alabama to annex West Florida, but in 1844, the year before statehood, the Legislature reversed its stance and asked that West Florida be separated.[7]
    In 1856, advocates of annexation were able to get a bill passed by the Legislature authorizing a referendum on the issue but the Governor James E. Broome vetoed the measure. The Pensacola Gazette reported that "annexation is desired by a large majority of the people" of the area.[7]
    In 1858, the Alabama Legislature unsuccessfully tried to open negotiations with Florida on the subject.[8]
    The annexation issue was eclipsed by the Civil War and the war's effects on the region, but in 1868, with Pensacola now connected by the Panhandle's sole railroad line to the Alabama cities of Mobile and Montgomery, the issue came to a head again and was finally put to a vote of the people. In that year, the Alabama Legislature approved a joint resolution authorizing their Governor to negotiate with the Governor of Florida about the annexation of West Florida. An offer of one million dollars in Alabama state bonds, paying 8 percent interest for thirty years, was included. Both states appointed commissioners to make detailed recommendations on the matter.[9]
    On November 2, 1869, a referendum was held in the West Florida counties (except Jackson, which was in the throes of bloody racial violence[10]), with a result of 1162 to 661 in favor of annexation.[6] However, political objection developed in Alabama to the high price, and the Legislature took no action on the results of the referendum.[8][11]
    In 1873, a similar proposal was made in the Alabama Legislature, which the state senate approved, though it did not pass a separate proposal to finance the measure by selling all of Alabama's territory west of the Tombigbee River, including the city of Mobile, to Mississippi.[12] However, nothing came of this action.
    In 1901, Alabama made yet another offer when the Legislature appointed a commission to negotiate with Florida about annexation, but this attempt, too, was unsuccessful.[8]

There was also a half hearted attempt many years ago when an official tourist map of Florida was printed, leaving the panhandle off.
    Alabama said they would be happy to take it.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    That would be cool, then I wouldn't have to pay for the out of state hunting license which Alabama is very proud of!

This was my first thought also.
    We have more in common with Alabama than we do south Florida.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    FL does not need to be any part of Alabama, talk about going downhill quickly! Let S Fl go, they are not part of America anyway, make them a state of Cuba.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    yeah I was thinking about all the hillbillies, corruption, lack of education, and lesser quality of life...but that is just me...lol

Viking1204

Master
    yeah I was thinking about all the hillbillies, corruption, lack of education, and lesser quality of life...but that is just me...lol

There's plenty of that already in Florida, just move away from the coast out into the country in Florida and it's no different than Alabama. This is a coastal area with money pouring in from military bases and tourism, I don't see a lot changing if we were part of Alabama. We would just need to establish an Alabama lottery to help fund the schools!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom