• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recondo 101

Expert
    Decided to just try drilling and burning only one of the many 2-3 ft in diameter fresh cut pine stumps while I am now waiting to get my tractor back from having the four hydraulic pistons re-packed, oil and filter changed, hydraulic oil filled.

Yep, I started the cleanup after the timber cutters left and one hydrolic cylinder on the FEL gave up the ghost and started pouring hydraulic oil. So off to the tractor hospital she went, might as well get all four cylinders re-packed if one goes down, tractor has a lot of work to do, so no reason for half steps.

So got out two of the 3/4 inch 12" long ship auger bits, drilled 5 holes in the flat top, center and four in a compass settings around the top about 3-4" in from the edge, then four more at a 45 degree down angle from the sides for each of the compass top holes, for bottom breather holes. Then filled each hole with a 10% gasoline and 90% diese fuel mixture, plugged the top holes, as it was supposed to rain. This idea being an overnight soak of the fire starter mixture into the wood, before lighting it off, see if the wood will ignite.

Took two battery charges per cordless 20v battery (Porta Cable) per hole set, top/side.
    This is just a stump burn experiment, I can do it the other way, with a potassium nitrate fast burn and expansion mixture.

If the burn works or fails I am still gong to rent a large track hoe 65/100 hp, to dig out at least 30 stumps or so where the new barn building/slab is to go. Dig out, fill, compact, etc is best.

The Back Hoe for the tractor, which I have, is good for small jobs but too slow for removal of these big stumps and the number of the stumps to be removed. Already dug up four like this in this hard clay, before this. Not a thing to repeat if you can avoid it.

But figured we have a similar problems now and then. I have had them ground, cut and rotted out, but that is not a very goof solution for a slab pour.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    tannerite! Boom shuckalucka!
    MY BAD Disregard.
    Please do not use Tannerite to blow up tree stumps. When used normally, Tannerite is considered a reactive agent. However, once you ignite it, the Tannerite becomes an explosive, which you want for blowing up tree stumps. Unfortunately, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms doesn’t take kindly to this sort of activity.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom