• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Evers’ School Gun Bill Likely Dead

April 16, 2015

A Senate bill that would allow school superintendents to tap employees or volunteers to carry concealed weapons on school property was effectively killed by a committee Wednesday, meaning that two high-profile proposals blending firearms and education could fail during the legislative session.

The Senate Education PreK-12 Committee agreed to temporarily postpone — a procedural move similar to tabling — the “school safety” bill (SB 180). Because the committee is not scheduled to meet again, the legislation is bottled up and can’t go before the full Senate. It also can’t be added to another bill on the Senate floor.

The bill was postponed as a courtesy to Sen. Greg Evers, the Baker Republican who sponsored the measure, according to Education PreK-12 Chairman John Legg, R-Lutz. It would have failed if the panel voted on it, Legg said.

“It did not have the votes in this committee,” he said.

Technically, the language could still end up before the Senate. House lawmakers could attach the proposal to another bill, then send it over to the Senate. The upper chamber would then be free to vote on that legislation — but Legg said he thought that move was unlikely.

“If it was (amended) onto something, it would put that bill in severe jeopardy,” he said.

The House companion (HB 19) to Evers’ bill has cleared all of its committees but is also essentially dead as a stand-alone bill without its Senate counterpart.

Bills that would lead to guns at schools have traditionally faced an uphill challenge in the Senate, which is more moderate on such issues than the House. With supporters saying it would improve school safety, the Evers bill called for allowing trained volunteers or employees to be able to carry guns. Those people would need to have backgrounds in the military or law enforcement.

Another controversial measure that would allow people with concealed-weapons licenses to carry guns on the campuses of Florida colleges and universities (SB 176) also has been bottled up in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“I’ve polled the members of the Senate, and there doesn’t seem to be too much support for that bill,” committee Chairman Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, said last week.

Evers represents the North Escambia area.

by Brandon Larrabee, The News Service of Florida

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Why are people so afraid of guns to protect our children....

we use guns to protect:
    banks
    federal buildings
    fort knox
    president
    celebrities

How are our children any less valuable?

Doc

MAXman

Master
    I feel if they are going to force us to send our children to their schools theybshould have viable and realistic saftey systems to protect them.

Droshki

Master
    I feel if they are going to force us to send our children to their schools theybshould have viable and realistic saftey systems to protect them.

Who is forced to send their children to a public school? Dont private schools still exist? Doesn't homeschooling still exist?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Who is forced to send their children to a public school? Dont private schools still exist? Doesn't homeschooling still exist?

I think what he means by forced is the money associated with private schools and home schooling which gives most families no choice but to go to public school. Even most private schools if not all don't allow carry either. Actually state law prohibits carry on schools. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Yes, that might be the thing to do.

I have a co-worker that does it. His wife stays home with the 6 kids and homeschools them.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Yes, that might be the thing to do.

I have a co-worker that does it. His wife stays home with the 6 kids and homeschools them.

If I can afford it. I will be home schooling.

MAXman

Master
    I'm not going to go to deep into it, i don't want to give anyone the impression I'm that far libertarian,
    But yes, the cost of private schools is prohibitive. And I don't think government subsidies to have children go to private schools is the answer.

I've always felt that homeschooling children puts them at a social handicap. But the more time I invest in my son, and the more people I know decide teaching is their professional calling, the more appealing it becomes.

Plus, a good friend growing up went to east hill Christian in Pensacola. He graduated with what turned out to be a GED and needed to jump hoops to join the army. It's disheartening to know how much his parents spent for him to end up with not-a-high school-diploma.

Droshki

Master
    You've hit a lot of valid points. One of the big problems with home schooling, is generally, kids don't get a high school diploma. So if they want to join the military, or be admitted to a college....it can be a problem. I had never considered the social issue. That seems like a big one as well.

Has anyone ever run the numbers on the odds of someone's kid being shot in school? I dont want to offend anyone, I know your kids are very, very important to you. But I think if you added up the number of public school students and compared it to the number killed in violent incidents in public schools-- Im betting it turns out the be 100 times safer than flying in an airliner, or driving in a car? I dont know. Thats just my loose feel for it.

Droshki

Master
    http://www.maine.gov/doe/security/resources/Relative_Risks_of_Death_in_US_K-12_Schools.pdf

Skip to page 20

Report of Relative Risks of Death in U.S. K-12 Schools Stephen C. Satterly, Jr. ©2014 20 4)

Top 15 Causes of Death In 2010, the fifteen overall leading causes of death were by rank: 1) Diseases of heart (heart disease), 2) Malignant neoplasms (cancer), 3) Chronic lower respiratory diseases, 4) Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke), 5) Accidents (unintentional injuries), 6) Alzheimer’s disease, 7) Diabetes mellitus (diabetes), 8) Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis (kidney disease), 9) Influenza and pneumonia,10) Intentional self-harm (suicide), 11) Septicemia, 12) Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis, 13) Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease (hypertension), 14) Parkinson’s disease, 15) Pneumonitis due to solids and liquids. These accounted for 80.4% of all deaths in 2010. (Murphy et al, 2013) Homicide is not listed. In 2009, Homicide was 15th, but dropped out in 2010.

Droshki

Master
    Summary Based on the USDHS definition for active shooter incidents, there have been 22 active shooter incidents on K12 school property and at K12 school events, with 50 student and 12 staff fatalities in the 15-year period between 1998 and 2012. Based on this data, an average of 4 people was killed per year in U.S. K12 active shooter incidents during this time period.

graph.JPG

Attachments

• graph.JPG
      graph.JPG
      23.8 KB · Views: 144

StorMay05

Expert
    Droshki I can't remember the exact numbes, but a friend showed me the stats on "mass shootings" and I think you more likely to be killed by lightning then be killed in a "mass shooting".

MAXman

Master
    I suspect your correct, and I'll bet a kid encountering a violent incident in Santa Rosa county(where I live) is pretty far down the bell curve.
    However, I kinda like having at least a perceived control over my fate and his. Just the idea of walking him into a vehicle that couldn't possibly pass any serious saftey tests, sending him to a campus festering with numerous infections and disease, and the whole time entrusting his well being to people I will at best barley know. All this so he can achieve a level of education I feel is second row to a social training of wake up, do what your told, eat lunch, back to work, clock out and then rush hour. I'm not even going to get started on federal test standards.
    The social thing.... It's something I noticed as a teenager with a couple guys I knew with skateboarding. It's one of those things that's probably more apparent when younger but kinda equal out the older one gets. However, we all know how important social welfare is important to teenagers.

Droshki

Master
    Rough numbers:

(average of 4 people killed per year in U.S. K12 active shooter incidents) / (In fall 2014, about 49.8 million students will attend public elementary and secondary schools)

= 8.163265306122449e-8 = .0000000816 X 100 percent = .00000816 % chance of school child dying in active shooter incident.

But yes, I year you. I know how important children are to their parents. Im just a numbers guy, obviously, lol....

JBryan314

Master
    So it's extremely unlikely that a child will be killed while at their school.

Yet in the rare case it does happen, the antis pounce and use it to push their gun control agenda.

So the fact that it is a rare occurrence is irrelevant. It could happen one time per century and the antis would lose their minds trying to use it to enact gun control. So let's allow responsible school staff with law enforcement or military background carry guns to prevent these rare incidents. Less children might be killed and the antis might have less chances to use dead children to erode our freedom.

MAXman

Master
    Kinda like how affordable health care act actually increased the amount of money most people spent on health care, and the resulting backlash caused congress abd the senate to revise the bill and maybe look at the real issue?

Fletch

Master
    Good point about the actually statistical probability of a mass shooting event. It really kind of negates the arguments on both sides of the issue and makes you wonder why people are willing to get into the knock down drag out battles over it.

Might there be other issues those on both sides could devote their energies to that would actually save lives? Is it possible that promoting a healthy and active lifestyle for one's children might do far more good for their well being than home schooling, arming teachers, or outlawing AR-15's? Maybe just follow the numbers and facts instead of emotionally fueled agenda's grounded in dogmas from either side of the ideological fence.

MAXman

Master
    Fletch. There's a number of issues it seems almost everyone is in Agreement on(police militarization, txting and driving, healthy living, congress actually doing something/anything/atleastshowuptoyourjob).
    It would seem that a large majority of public concern and support on such issues would illicit some form of change or progress. It *almost* seems like the media would rather focus our attention on high emotional/low actual impact issues.

I know I, for one, will start taking more grains of salt in the upcoming headline social issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom