FL Lawmakers Agree to Hearings on the Stand Your Ground Law...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    "Across Florida, representatives are receiving calls, letters, visits and emails from constituents with diverse opinions on 'Stand Your Ground,'" Weatherford said.

Be heard or be without.

Garpo

Master
    This is just the first salvo of the anti-gun, loony left crowd to chip, chip away at your gun rights. Do not give in and do not compromise! Their agenda is like a festering sore.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    MIAMI (Reuters) - Florida lawmakers will hold hearings this fall on the state's "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law, which has become a lightning rod for criticism following the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin.

Just love how the media throws that in there every time. Black, white, yellow, or purple that thug got what was comin to him.

What a bunch of happy horse shit

FUPAGUNT

Master
    But critics see the self-defense law as emblematic of racial bias and unequal justice in America, since some studies have shown that defense claims made under the law are far more likely to be successful when the victim is black.

Haha I wonder why..

Deersniper270

Master
    My take on it is that people don't understand the stand your ground law. They have been told by the media it is a license to kill with no consequences. That is far from the truth and frustrates the hell out of me.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    My take on it is that people don't understand the stand your ground law. They have been told by the media it is a license to kill with no consequences. That is far from the truth and frustrates the hell out of me.

Yep, I make a point of telling the Trayvon crowd that GZ's acquittal means that based on the evidence and the jury's decision to acquit Trayvon was committing a forcible felony when he was killed. Facts infuriate them, they want feelings.

Pompnewbie

Master
    The SYG law was not even used to achieve the not guilty verdict.. they just need something to fight since they failed at a conviction

BigDaddy

Master
    Kinda funny how these pieces of shit can sit outside Rick Scott's office for a month, that should tell you something in itself. As far as Gov Scott goes, he's a snake in the grass himself. I seriously doubt he would take a stand against gun makers, he is too greedy. He more than anyone needs the syg law as many folks he has bent over unwillingly.

M.O.A.

Master
    As controversial as this sounds under the SYG law the poor sucker that got shot in the leg had every right to defend himself with deadly force against the ECSO officers that attempted to kill him in his driveway...this according to an attorney friend of mine over cocktails last night. Of course the situation would have rapidly escalated and ended badly for him and as my friend so eloquently stated. " hard to get a testimony from a dead man "

LowRiderRed

Master
    As controversial as this sounds under the SYG law the poor sucker that got shot in the leg had every right to defend himself with deadly force against the ECSO officers that attempted to kill him in his driveway...this according to an attorney friend of mine over cocktails last night. Of course the situation would have rapidly escalated and ended badly for him and as my friend so eloquently stated. " hard to get a testimony from a dead man "

My neighbor and I talked about this the other day. He lives between me and the jackass Escambia deputy. We both felt that if anyone approaced us or ordered us to do something on our own property, we would be within our rights to ignore or refuse......unless it was the wife of course.

Telum Pisces

Master

As long as LE can proove that they attempted to identify themselves as LE, the person using deadly force cannot do so against LE according to FL law. This could simply mean that the officers yelled that they were police. It does not mean that the person actually heard or understood them say "Police".

776.013 Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
    (b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
    (2) The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force is used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or
    (b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used; or
    (c) The person who uses defensive force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity; or
    (d) The person against whom the defensive force is used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.

Patoz

Marksman
    Most U.S. voters support the "Stand Your Ground" laws, although the question of whether to retreat or use deadly force in self defense divides Americans along gender, racial and political lines, a national Quinnipiac University poll found on Friday.

The poll found that a strong majority of white voters and men support the laws, while black voters generally oppose them and women are almost evenly divided.

Well duh!! Look who's committing most of the crimes. Of course they oppose the law!

Bay Ranger

Master
    I know that some of the folks on here don't like Gov. Scott, however, in a politically correct way he told the "campers" to go pound sand on calling a special session. I encouraged folks on this forum to send an email to Scott applauding and supporting his decision (see my post in the OFF TOPIC section.) not to call a special session. He was getting a lot of form letters demanding that he call a special session. In the month of July I saw only 1 email supporting his decision. That's why we need to be vocal at all levels. You can say what you will about Scott, however, he did the right thing on this one.

Yes, state legislators a caving in to a vocal minority and the media - again. That's why we need to get off our collective asses and stop bitching and moaning and do something. That something, at least, is to communicate with our state representatives and senators. You know for a fact the the vocal minority is going to do it, we better too.

Top Bottom