• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Seems that they were impressed with the quality of the field grade weapons.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-cheapest-garands-part-3-garands-from-the-government/

flyandscuba

Master
    Based upon what I've seen on the racks at the CMP -- unless I was seriously cash strapped, I would spend the extra $100 to get the Service Grade rifles. If you do the mail order thing -- you get the luck of the draw. Going to the store in person, you have the ability to check them over -- even field strip them if you like.

My concern, is that the milsurp M2 ball ammo will dry up within the next couple of years -- then there will be no more. By springing for the Special Grade rifle in .308, you are guaranteed to have a steady supply of milsurp 7.62x51mm NATO ammo available as long as it is a NATO offering.

Gravity3694

Expert
    How much M2 do you think CMP still has? I'm thinking about getting a service grade Springfield M1, but I'm somewhat wary if cheap M2 dries up.

flyandscuba

Master
    They currently have a stock of Greek milsurp M2 that was taken off machine gun belts. It is loose packed in ammo cans -- 200 rounds for $98. They said that once it is gone -- it's gone. I think they took in millions of rounds of the stuff, but some folks buy it by the pallet.

oneshot

Master
    amo

Buy ammo and learn to do what some of us call reload. buy reloading supply's. while you can. just my 2 cents jj
    forgot get a 308 barrel too

Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Buy ammo and learn to do what some of us call reload. buy reloading supply's. while you can. just my 2 cents jj
    forgot get a 308 barrel too

Already got a reloading setup, M2 ball at slightly less than 50 cents a round is still cheaper than reloading. Also, I don't have the time to jerk the press around, not to mention dealing with crimped primer pockets.

I've also heard that M1s are finicky with powder burn rates. I've heard that IMR 4895 runs well, which is coincidentally one of my favorite .308 powders.

Last edited:

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Gravity
    here is a tip about those crimp pockets. you can simply take the lee debur tool twist it twice in the primer pocket and no more crimp or buy the pocket swagger. I prefer to use the debur tool its faster.

oneshot

Master
    Get dillon 1050 super It does it all when the shell plate goes around , but put the bullet in. the best thing I have every brought for reloading. there is a lot of loading information on loads for the m1. Have been loading for it for over 35 yrs. Most of that time I was using a RCbs Rock C. Using the 1050 I get to shoot more. Just my 2 cents. jj

Top Bottom