• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    When you get a new gun and go looking for a carry holster, or any holster really, make sure you buy a good one that is made for the model of YOUR gun.
    I don't know why manufactures don't mark them better, some don't mark them at all. I am a habitual secondhand buyer and come across lots of holsters.
    That being said:
    You may say , well if it fits it fits. I have been carrying this pistol S&W Sheild in this holster, (Who I won't name because it's not their fault, beyond NOT marking it) All is good for around a year, I've drawn from it 100 times.
    Well I guess it "Broke in some" settled . The front sight caught on holster. STUCK
    I couldn't even get the pistol out of the holster without a lot of trouble. And this could have been the time you need it..
    Moral of the story: Buy the right gear and Buy good gear, as your life depends on it!

Attachments

• 20240928_174721.jpg
      20240928_174721.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 4
    • 20240928_174744.jpg
      20240928_174744.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 4

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Luckly I have a big tote crammed full of random holsters. I have a holster buying problem. 98% are used ones from who knows where ( 2 new from you, lol) suprisingly enough I usually have a correct model one but sometimes have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
    Ebay used to be good, but most on there are new now. But your right buy one that fits properly. $30 could save your life.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I use to spend a lot leather holsters, they shrink, get loose, can mold and other issues.
    I went exclusively to Kydex, none of these problems and most come with a tension screw.

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    When you get a new gun and go looking for a carry holster, or any holster really, make sure you buy a good one that is made for the model of YOUR gun.
    I don't know why manufactures don't mark them better, some don't mark them at all. I am a habitual secondhand buyer and come across lots of holsters.
    That being said:
    You may say , well if it fits it fits. I have been carrying this pistol S&W Sheild in this holster, (Who I won't name because it's not their fault, beyond NOT marking it) All is good for around a year, I've drawn from it 100 times.
    Well I guess it "Broke in some" settled . The front sight caught on holster. STUCK
    I couldn't even get the pistol out of the holster without a lot of trouble. And this could have been the time you need it..
    Moral of the story: Buy the right gear and Buy good gear, as your life depends on it!
    Here i thought I was the only one to have this happen . Yes mine was not made exactly for my pistol . To solve my problem I carefully cut a notch out and lesson learned . * I would not ever use this to carry concealed or otherwise . This is another reason I have made my leather holsters from scratch . Ymmv ;)

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Luckly I have a big tote crammed full of random holsters. I have a holster buying problem. 98% are used ones from who knows where ( 2 new from you, lol) suprisingly enough I usually have a correct model one but sometimes have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
    Ebay used to be good, but most on there are new now. But your right buy one that fits properly. $30 could save your life.
    Exactly ! Yes I have found to be quite anal when fitting any holster !

Top Bottom