• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    When you get a new gun and go looking for a carry holster, or any holster really, make sure you buy a good one that is made for the model of YOUR gun.
    I don't know why manufactures don't mark them better, some don't mark them at all. I am a habitual secondhand buyer and come across lots of holsters.
    That being said:
    You may say , well if it fits it fits. I have been carrying this pistol S&W Sheild in this holster, (Who I won't name because it's not their fault, beyond NOT marking it) All is good for around a year, I've drawn from it 100 times.
    Well I guess it "Broke in some" settled . The front sight caught on holster. STUCK
    I couldn't even get the pistol out of the holster without a lot of trouble. And this could have been the time you need it..
    Moral of the story: Buy the right gear and Buy good gear, as your life depends on it!

Attachments

• 20240928_174721.jpg
      20240928_174721.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 13
    • 20240928_174744.jpg
      20240928_174744.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 13

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Luckly I have a big tote crammed full of random holsters. I have a holster buying problem. 98% are used ones from who knows where ( 2 new from you, lol) suprisingly enough I usually have a correct model one but sometimes have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
    Ebay used to be good, but most on there are new now. But your right buy one that fits properly. $30 could save your life.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I use to spend a lot leather holsters, they shrink, get loose, can mold and other issues.
    I went exclusively to Kydex, none of these problems and most come with a tension screw.

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    When you get a new gun and go looking for a carry holster, or any holster really, make sure you buy a good one that is made for the model of YOUR gun.
    I don't know why manufactures don't mark them better, some don't mark them at all. I am a habitual secondhand buyer and come across lots of holsters.
    That being said:
    You may say , well if it fits it fits. I have been carrying this pistol S&W Sheild in this holster, (Who I won't name because it's not their fault, beyond NOT marking it) All is good for around a year, I've drawn from it 100 times.
    Well I guess it "Broke in some" settled . The front sight caught on holster. STUCK
    I couldn't even get the pistol out of the holster without a lot of trouble. And this could have been the time you need it..
    Moral of the story: Buy the right gear and Buy good gear, as your life depends on it!
    Here i thought I was the only one to have this happen . Yes mine was not made exactly for my pistol . To solve my problem I carefully cut a notch out and lesson learned . * I would not ever use this to carry concealed or otherwise . This is another reason I have made my leather holsters from scratch . Ymmv ;)

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Luckly I have a big tote crammed full of random holsters. I have a holster buying problem. 98% are used ones from who knows where ( 2 new from you, lol) suprisingly enough I usually have a correct model one but sometimes have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
    Ebay used to be good, but most on there are new now. But your right buy one that fits properly. $30 could save your life.
    Exactly ! Yes I have found to be quite anal when fitting any holster !

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    No leather for me, gun specific Kydex only for all EDC/Concealed carry.
    I know many swear by them , especially for C / carry . I'll admit they do have their advantages , but I grew up with leather and prefer that mine are more comfortable to me at least . I have 2 in Kydex , just too ridged and sticks out in my Owb .

Sporter

Expert
    I’ve always considered holsters to be expendable items. I use leather exclusively. Never cared for Kydex. Uncomfortable, noisy and makes me sweat more than leather does. I think I have more holsters than guns. Hip, cross-draw, tanker, shoulder and even back carry. Pick the holster for the activity. I do have a leather-kydex hybrid from Tucker that is twelve years old and still good to go but it has leather even inside the kydex. All of my holsters cover the trigger and the end of the barrels by 1/2” or so. And have strong retentions. Learned that lesson.

Top Bottom