• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HEIST

Master
    I was wondering if anybody has any experience with one of these. They are almost exact copies of the Belgium Hi Power. Classicfirearms.com has them from $229-$319 depending on condition. I ordered one of the cheapest ones since I want to refinish it anyways. Most of their reviews say they are fine but I still like to hear about your first hand experience with them. When I get mine I will do a review after a range trip or 2.

cpn.jp

Expert
    I had one several years ago. Gave it to my son and wish I had kept it. It ran great, never failed with all types ammo.

HEIST

Master
    Good to hear. Thanks guys. This is like waiting on Christmas when I am waiting on a new gun. Lol.

HEIST

Master
    It came in. The blueing is worn and it has some faint pitting but it is better than I thought it would be.

HEIST

Master
    20160311_201812.jpg
    I haven't decided if I am going to reblue it or another coating. Im ready to go shoot it. I removed the magazine disconnect safety to take the grittyness out of the trigger.

Attachments

• 20160311_201812.jpg
      20160311_201812.jpg
      231.7 KB · Views: 465

MAXman

Master
    I'm not a fan of blue ing, and I think ceramic coating would be a more affordable route anyway. I'd stick with black or a dark grey but fde is fashionable these days.

What you could do is get it cut for Novak sights, teflon the joker, put some mcarta or good years on it, a boat oar safety and mec gar 15 rounders.......

HEIST

Master
    It will be a boat/woods gun so I dont really care how thw finish looks as long as it protects the metal. I got this because I dont want my CZ clone getting abused out there.

I bought one a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. The only downside for me is making sure I bring gloves whenever I take it to the range because of hammer bite. Otherwise the grip feels as perfect as a CZ 75 and I tend to be more consistently accurate with it than with my Sig P226...though that's likely due to the magazine disconnect having been removed before I bought it. The shop near me has an FN Hi Power in stock which I planned on buying but after getting the FEG I have zero desire to get the FN, and dare I say not even a need to get an actual Browning HP.

substratum

Shooter
    This same subject came up on another forum where several folks had purchased them from either Classic or another national seller; there seemed to be a consensus that this Hungarian version is reliable, even in its very worn condition; obviously, the finish is pretty much shot; don't expect the same "fit" as the Belgian Brownings.

I'd love to see how these guns from Classic clean up, because I've always thought the Browning High Power design was a really pretty gun. Please post pics when you clean these up, or put different finishes on them.

MAXman

Master
    From what I've heard*, the isrealis issued these alongside the fn and Brownings. I stumbled on a forum once where a isreali who served in the 80-90's said while the feg and fn were cool, the kareen/arcus were perfered due to the beaver tail and other modifications.

To the op, as a "cheap beater" alternative to a Turkish cz clone, you could do a whole lot worse, and not much better IMO.

HEIST

Master
    Hopefully I can get out and shoot it some this weekend. I just loaded up 200rds for it Thursday night. I have cleaned and oiled it. Besides the finish, the gun doesnt seem worn out or abused. It doesnt rattle at all when I shake it and the slide has no play against the frame.

Top Bottom