• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joebow09

Expert
    just curious who shoots this and how do you like it?? it looks really neat, I never knew it existed but was piddling around on the web site and found it. what weapon do you choose for it? im just super interested in it and would love to go even join. I read all the propaganda on the web site but I want real knowledge from the locals who do it.

Eric

1911Junky

Master
    I actually just started myself. Shot the classifier last month with my G17. It was a blast and looking forward to this months competitions. They do them on the 3rd Sunday and 4th Saturday of each month. You can shoot your first match without being a idpa member to make sure it is something you really want to do. You will need an NRA, IDPA and ERGC membership for it if you decide to keep shooting he competitions.

joebow09

Expert
    Do you shoot in cantonment? Also I have no prior experience with shooting like this, is it something you learned?? I don't want to go out there and look like a Dilbert!

A gun totin' son of a gun...

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Go and have fun, it is meant for everyone. I shot IDPA for years and there are shooters of every caliber doing it, many first timers. I shot a Glock 19 for years and then went with the Glock 17 for my last two. Go to the IDPA website and make sure you understand the classification rules for YOUR firearm as some put you into a different class. You will have a great time, make new friends, and get better at shooting defensively. That is of course if you can afford the ammo or even find it in todays market. I order in bulk online but who knows if that will change if O-Brother has his way.

1911Junky

Master
    Do you shoot in cantonment? Also I have no prior experience with shooting like this, is it something you learned?? I don't want to go out there and look like a Dilbert!

Yea, I shot the classifier in Cantonment. No need for prior experience with matches like these....I would definitely suggest firearms experience in general, but there are a great deal of beginners there. When I shot my classifier it was the first time I had ever even saw one let alone shot one and came very close to classifying as Sharp Shooter...and not bad in my opinion for first time. All of the people there are very friendly and are more than happy to help you out with any questions or concerns. I would suggest reading up on it thoroughly on the IDPA website to know what to expect when you go out. There is a match this month on the 17th and 23rd, should come out and give it a try.

joebow09

Expert
    Yeah that sounds great, I have A g21, from what I see, you need an approved holster and at last 3 clips 50+ rounds to shoot. would a fobus holster work for this application, also I read a bit, but I don't believe I seen the minimum requirement for caliber?? Or did I over look this?

1911Junky

Master
    Yeah that sounds great, I have A g21, from what I see, you need an approved holster and at last 3 clips 50+ rounds to shoot. would a fobus holster work for this application, also I read a bit, but I don't believe I seen the minimum requirement for caliber?? Or did I over look this?

Fobus holsters are good cost efficient holsters to start with. That is what I use for my gun and mags. Had to do a little work to loosen up the retention on the pistol holster, but was very easy and works great.

9mm is the minimum caliber requirement. This is mentioned under the section that discusses the weapons classification and requirements.

When shooting the classifier it takes 90 rounds.

I would bring at least 100 rounds to the match with me.

3 mags is preferred, but more than that helps out a bit with time efficiency.

1911Junky

Master
    Also with the cost and demand of ammo these days, it can get difficult to go to the rage and shoot 100-150 ronds for practice each weekend, so a lot of drawing, sight acquisition and dry fire practice at home will help a lot.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    ^ all good points! The main thing is being able to show that you're safe when handling your gun. It's not supposed to be a "game" and is intended to replicate real world scenarios.......intended.....not a "game"....whatever, once you get past the initial buzzer induced brain lock, just hose away and kill some paper!!!lol I've been goin' out there since last Sept and shoot this at least once a month. I try to make both matches. Come on out and find me and I'll walk through the basics to anyone that wants to learn 'em.

1911Junky

Master
    ^ all good points! The main thing is being able to show that you're safe when handling your gun. It's not supposed to be a "game" and is intended to replicate real world scenarios.......intended.....not a "game"....whatever, once you get past the initial buzzer induced brain lock, just hose away and kill some paper!!!lol I've been goin' out there since last Sept and shoot this at least once a month. I try to make both matches. Come on out and find me and I'll walk through the basics to anyone that wants to learn 'em.

I second that on the buzzer brain lock. I downloaded one of the free shot timer apps on my phone just for the buzzer and when I practice my drawing and dry fire I use the shot timer to get the muscle memory used to it....works great.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    lol...it's a very common illness.....

"ok, do you understand the course of fire?"

yeah, 2 shots into target 1 then move over to target 2, then 2 shots. got it.

"shooter ready?"

*nod

"stand by...."

BEEEP!

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! ... *tac-reload....*move....BLAM!BLAM!BLAM!BLAM!..... crap...

Top Bottom