If you think Federal drones are not being used against US civilians - think again

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    From the FWC law enforcement report for October.

The vessel Peter Gladding and crew along with NOAA officials spent six days in the Dry Tortugas testing an unmanned, remote-controlled drone called, “the Puma AE.” The Puma AE captures images, video, and has infrared capabilities. During the test flight, it was used to map corals, locate turtles, and track migrating birds. While in flight, the small aircraft Puma AE is extremely stealthy and can barely be seen or heard and can be launched, operated, and recovered from small vessels. Because of its numerous attributes, officers were quick to realize that the aircraft is also perfect for law enforcement applications. The operation concluded with Officers Martin Messier, Raul Pena-Lopez, and Josh Peters issuing two federal citations. The first citation was issued onboard a diving vessel operation that illegally entered, moored, and conducted diving activity within the Tortugas North Ecological Reserve without an access permit. The second citation was issued on a sailing vessel actively fishing illegally within the Tortugas South Ecological Reserve. The officers also issued a citation for a marine sanitation device violation after they discovered the y-valve was not properly secured.

Scroll to Monroe County near the bottom
    http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001UTU8...J5lDMXtrmkGqv6eAgMDzc2x2X1qFtYUs_gJ70pYb7ug==

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Sounds like a successful test. I wonder what the law is when out at the lease seeing a model plane fly over and shooting it down??

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well how would I know what it was and who owned it? It it trespassing as far as I knew, did not want it to crash and start a fire so I brought it down!

ben_p

Marksman
    Flying over your land is trespassing? Please don't shoot down any orange and white aircraft.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well I do know the difference between DePlane and what I perceive is a model intruder.

Snow Bird

Master
    Don't worry a new fed law will soon be passed about shooting down drones. Even if it looked like a duck pigon dove or goose.

CCHGN

Banned
    I don't know, I had fun reading about all the other bone heads they found, getting to the part about the drone. Sheeshola, We have to have police because folks won't police themselves......... anyway, this was inevidable, Cops have been using helos and airplanes for years, this is no different. I may get me an RC helo and put a camera on it.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Verizon stores sell one already set up for smart phones. Use your phone like a control yoke and view the nose camera on the phone in real time. <$400 when I was there last.

Zeus

Banned For Life
    I don't know, I had fun reading about all the other bone heads they found, getting to the part about the drone. Sheeshola, We have to have police because folks won't police themselves......... anyway, this was inevidable, Cops have been using helos and airplanes for years, this is no different. I may get me an RC helo and put a camera on it.

Huge difference between Drones vs. Helicopters and planes .... a helicopter or plane can not hover over you for extended periods without your knowledge. They also can not drop down almost silently to peek in your windows. And while they can video tape they are not well suited for audio recordings and can attempt neither without announcing their location far in advance.

If I ever see one while hunting it will be brought down.

If I ever see one below roughly 150 feet over my residence or property it will be brought down.

Orange and white aircraft are safe however as they present no challenge nor sport to drop ..... :flypig:

CCHGN

Banned
    Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Well folks, the technology of UAV science today is mind boggling. I've seen the little quadcopters and hexacopters with video, gps and computer technology that can be programed to fly anywhere in it's range, hover, shoot video and navigate it's self right back to the spot it took off from, completely without any input from the ground. And these are basicly toys available to anybody.

It's a whole new world we live in now, I just hope the human brain can evolve on a similar pace.

Rick

Zeus

Banned For Life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e27xjlEnVmg

Well, they're not silent and they don't hover, they're planes.

Maybe this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgxtIPIDBnY

I was speaking of drones in general, not of specific make or model.

As I’m sure you are already aware there are numerous shape and sizes and applications.

Some can hover, some are virtually silent, some are the size of bugs that they can fly in your window.

I personally would love to get my hands on one of the pocket sized ones that are currently deployed.

It would be a great RC gift for my Grandson.

Viking1204

Master
    The one Verizon sells is 4 blade hover type craft, kind of a cross between a helicopter and airplane. I see a lot of people losing these to gun owners if they start hovering them over a gun owners property.

Top Bottom