• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RL-Photo

Expert
    I am getting started in reloading and got some hodgon benchmark and Alliant blue dot. Are these pretty good powders? I'm going to be reloading .223 9mm and .40. They were both listed high in the Hornady manual but wanted some info from anyone that has used them.

bohica793

Master
    I have used BlueDot with success in 9mm with 147gr cast. I mostly use it in 357 and 45 Colt loads and love 13gr of it under a 454424 in my 7.5" Blackhawk. I can't speak to Benchmark as I have never used it.

Garpo

Master
    I've used Blue Dot successfully for 9mm pistol caliber carbine loads. I haven't tried it in barrel length shorter than 16.5 inches. It's slower burning than most popular pistol powders; therefore, it seems to do well in PCC applications.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    I use the Benchmark for my 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 works great, Blue dot I use for fire forming brass; this powder is very dirty.

RL-Photo

Expert
    The salesman mentioned that bluedot was a slow burner so he said I should use a mag primer for the 9mm and .40 so I also purchased the cci 550 primers, was this bad advice? All of the load data I have seen suggested the regular 500

bohica793

Master
    The only powder I use magnum primers with is W296/H110. While you can use them, be aware that it will increase your pressures and a reduced load is probably in order.

benchrest

Shooter
    years ago i built a 600 yard f class ar for a friend and while working up a load i found benchmark to give the tightest grouping, 80 and 90 grain vld 1 in 6.5 twist. whenever someone mentions blue dot i always think of hamburgers at belmont and devillers

Garpo

Master
    The salesman mentioned that bluedot was a slow burner so he said I should use a mag primer for the 9mm and .40 so I also purchased the cci 550 primers, was this bad advice? All of the load data I have seen suggested the regular 500

My reloading manuals make no reference to using magnum primers with these cartridges.

gandog56

Expert
    I use Blue Dot for both .40 cal and 10mm, and like it a lot. But the only two powders I used for .223 was H4198 and H4895.

Va boy

Marksman
    Go with the information in a good reloading manual. Be conservative with your loads. No need to load at the max recommended load to punch holes in paper, if thats the goal. I load near the middle stated powder weight in the manual so everything cycles well but my gun doesnt get battered. Salesmen sell stuff. I am very leary of anything I don't see in print. He should have been able to show you the load in a book there at the store

Last edited:

RL-Photo

Expert
    The Bluedot was listed in 2 manuals we looked at while at the store, I have just since read it is quite slow, dirty thus isn't many peoples first choice. Thanks for all of the input though!

Latest posts

Top Bottom