• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Well, my daughter just turned 9 and I figured it was time for her to have her own rifle and hopefully get her stepped up to a deer caliper soon so she can hunt with daddy.

Ordered her a Savage Rascal .22. Can't wait to get her out there to start plinking away.

Jason

Master
    That'll be a good fit fer her Jon.....you can drag her up this summer and we can shoot/cook on the BGE and let the kids swim!!!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Way to go dad. Start 'em young(boy or girl). Start out with a light,easily manipulated firearm with no recoil and a limited amount of noise produced. Might want to consider the subsonic first also. Remember also ....... hands on training is father daughter bonding. Your daughter will remember these times forever.

There is a guy in my club that hunts with his daughter most every time that I see him. She kills deer,hogs,and yotes. I have seen what his training/mentoring has accomplished. She is a great shot,has patience,can field dress the animals,and is a extremely respectful young lady. With the proper leadership,your daughter will turn out the same way. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Congrats!!!! Now it all begins. My dad got me my first 22/410 at nine years old then when I turned 11 got my first bow and 12 I got my first "big he" rifle and it was a 30-06 but he made me save all my choir money over a year and he bought the other half lol. Be prepared to start getting expensive stuff for the birthdays and Christmas :)

FUPAGUNT

Master
    That's awesome. Our first child is due in June and am already thinking about what her first gun is gonna be.

Viking1204

Master
    My 7 year old boy loves his Mossberg 715T. I just wish I had some place local to take him shooting more often. Good thing is hunting season is over so we'll be making work weekend trips to the hunting camp where he'll get to shoot more. Getting kids involved in shooting is so rewarding!

Idoono

Master
    Now this is the kind of message I like to see....congrats and thanks for being a good dad.

Idoono

young gun

Shooter
    Awesome! Some of the best memories I have is shooting as a kid. I didn't go much but I remember it clear as day. yall will have some great memories together.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Work, school, and other duties have simply got in the way of getting her out to shoot. So, I picked up some powderless Colibri rounds and set up a little shoot in the backyard. They will not even penetrate one sheet of plywood. Advertised FPS is 350 FPS. Pretty awesome little round for the intended purpose. They are great training rounds for little shooters. The bonus is that I don't have to drive 1+ hrs to let her shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4qjyQ28rtI

And yes in this trial shoot, we found out that even though she is right handed, she prefers to shoot left handed!!!!! Dangit!

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Have you noticed if she's left eye dominant? I shoot a rifle left handed because I'm left eye dominant,. I can close my right eye to line up the scope or sights without a problem but struggle to close just my left eye. See which eye she can close the easiest, if it's her right eye she's left eye dominant.

rob85k5

Expert
    my 6 year old daughter loves her pink rascal. The peep was difficult for her so I put a cheap red dot on it has helped her a lot.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Have you noticed if she's left eye dominant? I shoot a rifle left handed because I'm left eye dominant,. I can close my right eye to line up the scope or sights without a problem but struggle to close just my left eye. See which eye she can close the easiest, if it's her right eye she's left eye dominant.

Yes, she's left eye dominant. She was having a hard time closing her left eye and getting a good sight picture and having a hard time keeping her eye closed without it watering etc... Switched her over to shooting lefty and she said it was much easier and better feeling.

Top Bottom