• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Mods--If this is in the wrong place, please move.

I need to get this out there to let other gun owners know about my Taurus USA’s customer service experience so that they may be able to avoid a similar situation. I will try to state only facts and steer clear of opinion and speculation.

In January of 2020, I purchased a Taurus Raging Hunter in 454 Casull(much to the objections of most of my friends). When I received the firearm, I checked the trigger pull as I do on every firearm purchase. The trigger pull in single action was over 8 pounds(my gauge’s max)and probably closer to 12-15 pounds—totally unacceptable. I tried to get the grip off to possibly see if something was binding the hammer spring, but it would not budge. Since it was a new firearm and under warranty, I made the decision to send it to Taurus for repair. The service rep did warn me that it could take up to 90 days for repair. Since this was a range/hunting firearm, I was OK with a 90-day turnaround.

90 days passed and I still had not heard anything from Taurus, so I gave them a call. The service rep advised me that the status of my firearm was “waiting for repair”. I explained that the rep I spoke to when I sent it in told me there was a 90-day turnaround. She said that she would research it and get back to me within 48 hours. Three days later I had not heard from her so I called back and was quickly informed that it’s status now was “awaiting parts”. When I asked what parts, she could not answer me, but explained that the parts were coming from Brazil and could take a while. I was upset, but there was little I could do, so I let it go.

Two more months passed and still no word from Taurus, so I called yet again. This time I got a service rep who was far less than helpful and informed me in no uncertain terms that there was nothing he could do to help me with my problem. I was so frustrated that I told him to just send my firearm back to me and I would have a local gunsmith repair it and eat the cost. Again I was told a supervisor would call me within 48 hours and heard nothing from them so I called back and was given this long speech about how sending my firearm back to me would be unsafe, so I would have to sign a disclaimer to not hold them responsible if my firearm were to malfunction. I said fine, send me the form and I would gladly sign it and send it back. I never received the form and when I called back, the rep had no idea what I was talking about and agreed to send my firearm back to me, but warned it could take a while. At this point, I just wanted my firearm back, so I agreed.

After three more months, I still had not received my firearm, so I called them again and this time I got a very helpful rep who agreed that eight months was too long for them to have my firearm so they were going to replace it if I agreed. Thinking this would get things back on the fast track, I quickly agreed. She even went as far as to get the name and address of my local FFL where they could send the replacement.

Four months later and after several very frustrating calls that accomplished absolutely nothing and I still had not received my firearm or the replacement. At this point it had been over a year and I not so politely pointed this out to the rep and she told me that a supervisor would call within 48 hours. Again, no call so I called back and was surprisingly transferred to a supervisor who told me that I could wait for the replacement to be released or have my original firearm sent back. I told her which ever one would be the quickest. She said she would call back with the info ASAP to let me know which it would be. Three days later, on March 10, 2021, I actually got a call from Taurus telling me that my replacement firearm was shipped and would be arriving at my FFL that day by 4:30. I got a call from my FFL at ~3:00 telling me it had arrived.

Over one year later, I finally have my firearm(replacement)back. Never again, Taurus, never again.

Garry

ccc

Master
    Sorry you went thru that. I have two Taurus, a PT1911 and a model 85 .38 snub nose, thankfully never had a problem out of either they both go BANG when I pull the trigger.

garryj

Expert
    Sorry you went thru that. I have two Taurus, a PT1911 and a model 85 .38 snub nose, thankfully never had a problem out of either they both go BANG when I pull the trigger.
    I've owned several Taurus revolvers in the past from .357 to an older 454 Casull and other than a slight timing problem with the 454 no problems. That's why I decided to get this one, but never again.

Garry

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Wow, sorry you had so much trouble. So, how is the replacement?

Minor sidebar to your story.... I don't believe it was necessary for Taurus to send the replacement to a FFL dealer, who probably charged you a transfer fee(?). I had a similar experience with RIA on a 1911-type -pistol that I received with severe scuffs in the finish on the slide (the pistol was so oily that proper inspection wasn't possible at the FFL).

RIA told me to send it back and I did, thinking they might replace the slide. Instead, they replaced the pistol, sending it directly to me. I emailed them to thank them for the replacement, which arrived about 10 days after I returned the original pistol, and also to ask about the exchange to be sure it was OK for me to receive it direct. They assured me that it was 100% legal and proper because that was their warranty solution.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Wow, that’s ridiculous customer service, I’ve got a couple revolvers of the Taurus brand, hope I don’t have trouble with them

Fathertime

Marksman
    I won’t ever consider buying anything Taurus ever again I had not only a bad experience but an unsafe one with one of their products. Never again. The old saying goes you buy cheap you get cheap.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I also had a year long wait and ended up w a 9mm replacing the 45 I SENT IN FOR REPAIR...never again

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Mods--If this is in the wrong place, please move.

I need to get this out there to let other gun owners know about my Taurus USA’s customer service experience so that they may be able to avoid a similar situation. I will try to state only facts and steer clear of opinion and speculation.

In January of 2020, I purchased a Taurus Raging Hunter in 454 Casull(much to the objections of most of my friends). When I received the firearm, I checked the trigger pull as I do on every firearm purchase. The trigger pull in single action was over 8 pounds(my gauge’s max)and probably closer to 12-15 pounds—totally unacceptable. I tried to get the grip off to possibly see if something was binding the hammer spring, but it would not budge. Since it was a new firearm and under warranty, I made the decision to send it to Taurus for repair. The service rep did warn me that it could take up to 90 days for repair. Since this was a range/hunting firearm, I was OK with a 90-day turnaround.

90 days passed and I still had not heard anything from Taurus, so I gave them a call. The service rep advised me that the status of my firearm was “waiting for repair”. I explained that the rep I spoke to when I sent it in told me there was a 90-day turnaround. She said that she would research it and get back to me within 48 hours. Three days later I had not heard from her so I called back and was quickly informed that it’s status now was “awaiting parts”. When I asked what parts, she could not answer me, but explained that the parts were coming from Brazil and could take a while. I was upset, but there was little I could do, so I let it go.

Two more months passed and still no word from Taurus, so I called yet again. This time I got a service rep who was far less than helpful and informed me in no uncertain terms that there was nothing he could do to help me with my problem. I was so frustrated that I told him to just send my firearm back to me and I would have a local gunsmith repair it and eat the cost. Again I was told a supervisor would call me within 48 hours and heard nothing from them so I called back and was given this long speech about how sending my firearm back to me would be unsafe, so I would have to sign a disclaimer to not hold them responsible if my firearm were to malfunction. I said fine, send me the form and I would gladly sign it and send it back. I never received the form and when I called back, the rep had no idea what I was talking about and agreed to send my firearm back to me, but warned it could take a while. At this point, I just wanted my firearm back, so I agreed.

After three more months, I still had not received my firearm, so I called them again and this time I got a very helpful rep who agreed that eight months was too long for them to have my firearm so they were going to replace it if I agreed. Thinking this would get things back on the fast track, I quickly agreed. She even went as far as to get the name and address of my local FFL where they could send the replacement.

Four months later and after several very frustrating calls that accomplished absolutely nothing and I still had not received my firearm or the replacement. At this point it had been over a year and I not so politely pointed this out to the rep and she told me that a supervisor would call within 48 hours. Again, no call so I called back and was surprisingly transferred to a supervisor who told me that I could wait for the replacement to be released or have my original firearm sent back. I told her which ever one would be the quickest. She said she would call back with the info ASAP to let me know which it would be. Three days later, on March 10, 2021, I actually got a call from Taurus telling me that my replacement firearm was shipped and would be arriving at my FFL that day by 4:30. I got a call from my FFL at ~3:00 telling me it had arrived.

Over one year later, I finally have my firearm(replacement)back. Never again, Taurus, never again.

Garry

So, what's the trigger pull like on the "new" gun?

fla kid

Marksman
    I'v had a problem with every taurus that I'v ever owned. the last one was a 454,
    sent it back 2 times the second time they sent me a new one.
    it only took about 3 mo. total. sold the new one no more

M60Gunner

Master
    If you purchase from an FFL and do all the paperwork then they send you a new gun, it doesn't match the records now in the FFL where you bought it right? Or am I missing something?

garryj

Expert
    So, what's the trigger pull like on the "new" gun?
    8.5 lbs, but I have a Wolff Shooters Spring Pack on order. It has 10, 11 and 12lb hammer springs and 10 and 11lb trigger return springs. The factory hammer spring is 14lbs and I'm not sure about the trigger return spring. I plan on replacing one spring at a time, starting with the 12lb hammer spring and keep going until it doesn't pops Wolf SR primers and then go back to the next higher spring.

Garry

garryj

Expert
    If you purchase from an FFL and do all the paperwork then they send you a new gun, it doesn't match the records now in the FFL where you bought it right? Or am I missing something?
    According to my local FFL, if the manufacturer repairs your gun that you sent in, it can come to your home. If, however they replace your gun, it has to go through an FFL since the serial number is different. Anything else is a violation of federal law.

Garry

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    According to my local FFL, if the manufacturer repairs your gun that you sent in, it can come to your home. If, however they replace your gun, it has to go through an FFL since the serial number is different. Anything else is a violation of federal law.

Garry
    Sounds logical, but did you have to eat the transfer?

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter

Garry
    Interesting, because RIA Has replaced two different pistols for me under warranty. Both replacements were sent directly to me.

Yoda

Shooter
    Interesting, because RIA Has replaced two different pistols for me under warranty. Both replacements were sent directly to me.
    They probably used a new frame and stamped your old serial number in it. If a new serial number comes into play, it MUST go through an FFL and you have to do another 4473.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    They probably used a new frame and stamped your old serial number in it. If a new serial number comes into play, it MUST go through an FFL and you have to do another 4473.
    Nope, different serial numbers in both cases. I believe the manufacturer/importer knows what is legal and proper, especially since I asked them about it when I received the first replacement. They told me that since it was a warranty issue it could be sent directly to me.

Top Bottom