NY firearms maker blames new law for move to Pa.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Good for them! I did not know the Moonies owned Kahr?? very strange.

Kahr Firearms Group of Pearl River is the first gunmaker to announce it's leaving because of the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act, which was put into law after closed-door negotiations in January. It was the first law in the nation prompted by the killing of 20 first-graders and six educators in Newtown, Conn., in December.

"We're looking for a more friendly environment for our business," said Frank Harris, Kahr's vice president for sales and marketing. "Maybe we could have stayed here and built a plant, but the way the bill was passed left us feeling there were a lot of uncertainties going forward."

"Why take a chance when we can be in a state where they're not looking to cause us any problems?" Harris added.

Calls to Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office were not immediately returned.

Kahr is owned by Kook-Jin Justin Moon, a son of Unification Church founder Rev. Sun Myung Moon.

Harris said Pennsylvania's enthusiasm also fueled the decision to leave New York.

Welldoya

Master
    Now, if some other companies would grow a pair and move from these anti-2A states, maybe things would begin to straighten up.
    I read a really informative article on Kahr the other day. It said they were real innovators and had the market cornered on small powerful handguns for a while until everybody else followed their lead and started making them.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Now, if some other companies would grow a pair and move from these anti-2A states, maybe things would begin to straighten up.
    I read a really informative article on Kahr the other day. It said they were real innovators and had the market cornered on small powerful handguns for a while until everybody else followed their lead and started making them.

Kahr's move was pretty easy. Their NY facility is the company headquarters while their manufacturing is in Worchester MA. So far only the small companies have moved. I don't blame Remington, Colt and S&W for not moving. Its not easy to pick up and move entire factories, establish new logistical supply chains and move or find new human capitol.

Kahr was really ahead of their time by building such small handguns that actually worked. I think part of their sucess was due in part to the AWB and how they locked the market with their patents.

Garpo

Master
    I don't blame Remington, Colt and S&W for not moving. Its not easy to pick up and move entire factories, establish new logistical supply chains and move or find new human capitol.

Not easy but can be done, especially when the bottom line can be substantially improved. One of my jobs working for GE was to do just that. Moved plants from the rust belt North to the South and in some cases to Mexico and South America. In the case of firearms manufactures it has more to do politics. They may get the added benefit in lower taxes, lower wage rates and no pesky unions to deal with.

Top Bottom