Ok y'all how's bidding on these WOW !!!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Pretty cool Ruger..all for the NRA That is about the only 1911 I would be interested in owning.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    I like the old rifle....not a fan of fancy gold rifles....give me the rusty one.
    I also think the engraving job on the sr1911 is pretty nice.
    I don't think any of the firearms listed are worth what they are asking.
    I'd give em a grand a piece for them....but not for the gold one.....might as well have a gold plated hammer.....just as useless.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    They are not, it is a donation to the NRA as a show of support

bigbulls

Marksman
    That ruger is said to be 100% hand engraved. Its worth the price in labor alone. Ask a master engraver to do that level of hand engraving to one of your firearms and see what it will cost you and how many hours it will take to get it done.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Well......we are really going to need the NRA, and others to have the funds to fight for our rights, and I'm all for that.
    I'm for that cause.....I'm just not in the tax bracket that can afford to pay 10+ times what a firearm is worth.
    Why not sell a few of them to the higher bidders.....since its not about the value of the firearm?
    As for the engraving....I cant imagine that an engraver would take more than a week or two to do even the most complex project......so do they get paid $10,000 a week? If so - I have my next profession!

bigbulls

Marksman
    As for the engraving....I cant imagine that an engraver would take more than a week or two to do even the most complex project......so do they get paid $10,000 a week?
    Seriously, you should look into it. It takes hundreds of hours for a person to do what has been done to that Ruger. That one came off the Ruger assembly line August 2012. It took this long for it to be complete. You don't do that kind of hand engraving in "a week or two." :doh:

This shotgun took 900 hours. Assume he worked on only this one shotgun 5 days a week until it was finished. That comes out to nearly a full years time on this one shotgun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24CEGnaRXc

I would imagine this Ruger took about two to three hundred hours or so to complete.

Last edited:

TraderDan

Master
    I was walking into a garage sale one morning and one of my nemissis' was walking out with a vintage Colt 1911 9mm totally engraved, mint in the box he just paid 600.00 for or so he said, ruins your whole day, missed it by 2 minutes.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    That would ruin your day!

Emcm2

Master
    I was at a yard sale a few months back and seen a Winchester 1906 some gut payed 500 for it. With 2 boxes of ammo.

Welldoya

Master
    I never have understood engraving. I mean, you are paying some artist to scribe meaningless crap into your gun. It just proves he's a good artist. So what?
    I could see it maybe if you have your military unit engraved on your gun or you climbed Mount Everest and had a mountain engraved on your "commemorative" gun but I don't understand floral designs, etc.
    But then, I don't understand tattoos either.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Seriously, you should look into it. It takes hundreds of hours for a person to do what has been done to that Ruger. That one came off the Ruger assembly line August 2012. It took this long for it to be complete. You don't do that kind of hand engraving in "a week or two." :doh:

This shotgun took 900 hours. Assume he worked on only this one shotgun 5 days a week until it was finished. That comes out to nearly a full years time on this one shotgun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24CEGnaRXc

I would imagine this Ruger took about two to three hundred hours or so to complete.

As with all artisan....I'm sure that some work faster than others....and the quality isn't always better when they take a long time to do it.
    Here is an artisan that seems to be able to accomplish this sort of work much faster....and at reasonable prices.
    http://www.southerncustomengraving.com/custom-work.html

Last edited:

bigbulls

Marksman
    You're kidding right? You do see that that little sig 238 costs $1000 for what minimal scroll work he did right? Now apply that $1000 to a full sized 1911 that's 100% polished, 100% coverage engraving on the slide, about 50% on the frame, then do both grips, the safety, slide stop, mag release, etc... Not too hard to reach that 12K price tag. I'm not going to continue to argue with you about what it costs to do custom hand engraving like what's on the Ruger. The pictures and prices speak for themselves. It's pretty easy to figure out.

$1000 worth of engraving
    3882039_orig.jpg

$11,000 worth of engraving
    Ruger-1-millionth-off-the-line-August-2012----SR1911-lores.jpg

Attachments

• 3882039_orig.jpg
      3882039_orig.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 138
    • Ruger-1-millionth-off-the-line-August-2012----SR1911-lores.jpg
      Ruger-1-millionth-off-the-line-August-2012----SR1911-lores.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 142
    Last edited: