• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miketx

Shooter
    I was looking for a 22 SA revolver. I went into a gun store and I saw one, but a Ruger 22/45 caught my eye. I wanted one of these before I wanted a revolver. Now, this one is in "Like new" condition. In fact I thought it was new, but the gun store guy says it's used. It's got all the papers and the box and comes with two magazines and the guy says out the door for 400 dollars.

I have a "like new" Marlin 925M bolt action 22 mag with a Bushnell 3x9 scope, and about 400 rounds of ammo. 300 of it is NIB ammo. The other is a plastic bowl of about a 100 rounds of varied brand that the paper boxes went bad. The scope rings are the kind you can still use the open sights with.

I figure 50 dollars on the scope, 175 on the rifle, and 12 a box on the ammo. Now, the Academy store in Forth Worth has this pistol out the door for around 350. But they don't take trades. I'll never have any more use for this rifle as I bought it for coyotes when we lived in the sticks. Plus to buy the new one, I'll have to drive 150 miles.

So I'm thinking of trading this rifle, scope and ammo and a little cash for this pistol. What do you think.

This is not it, but it looks real close. Plus I have two mags for it.

pix324627086.jpg

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Are you talking dollar value wise? If so i don't know how much the rifle goes for, or the scope, depensing in the shop they may or may not take(to resell) the ammunition. Keep in mind your gonna get a lot less value for trading in than what it's actually worse. Idk if they'll do the trade, only way to find out is ask.

I will say 400$ for a 22/45 is to much. Like you said, new ones are 350$. So if your rifle is worth +\- 400$, I wouldn't do it. Your cheating yourself. Now, that being said, I have a mkII stainless with a bull barrel(shop was asking 425$, which I saw as 400$ otd) and I traded something that goes for 550$. I wish now that I had kept that pistol, but I don't regret doing the trade because I've used the 22 in actual practical applications, and it's a whole lot more fun to shoot. So if your not shooting, have no use, and are not particularly fond of the rifle(and the shop is willing to do the trade), at least I will understand why. I just feel that for 400$, you should be able to get a mkI/II/III, or a new 22/45 and plenty of ammunition.

I'm not a particular fan of ruger but they're 22 pistols are fairly awesome. The only issues I've had with mine would have been issues with a revolver(shitty primers), and I've actually had better ignition with the ruger than my old heritage rough rider. Be warned, you may get bored with running mag after mag, bulls eye on targets without issues. Mine stays loaded with cci mini mags for the errant cats and rouge armadillos. Good luck with the trade

miketx

Shooter
    Thanks. The gun store will do the trade, he just hasn't seen it yet. And he said he would take the ammo.

MAXman

Master
    What's the barrel length on the ruger? Is it the one with the molded grip or will it take 1911 grips?

Xenol

Shooter
    Food for thought, you can get the ruger for $260 shipped + your transfer should have you under $300 bucks. But if you are getting what you want out of the rifle and ammo then the trade isnt bad.

Top Bottom