• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Looking for lighter weight bullets for my 1:12 twist .308 bolt rifle. Something that would shoot flat and fast 100-400 yards. On the ship now, just want to order some for Dec. Tks

Baddog 0302

Master
    You probably have a few ballistic programs on your lap top,as well as a few load data sources that list BC's. Just run some drop / rise programs . I'd suggest you include some 150 gn hunting bullets like the Nosler 150 BT, or the Hornady SST

rkflorey

Marksman
    Speer 125 gr.. TNT. Very accurate in my Sav. 308 and makes Jack Rabbits explode at 300 yds..

Works great in 300 black out deer loads under 200 yds.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have seen the 125gr Nolser BT at work running really fast (3100+ fps).... it leave a pretty good blood shocked area on a deer.
    I have used the 125gr SST and they work good

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Thanks, fellas. I have these but didn't know how they would do for hunting. I'll order up some of the suggested bullets and try em.
    T762TNB1_MED.jpg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Thanks, fellas. I have these but didn't know how they would do for hunting. I'll order up some of the suggested bullets and try em.
    View attachment 188336
    I would not be the one to condone OTM bullets for hunting...but I know for a fact that a 142gr SMK will kill a deer pretty dead at 606 yards :cool:
    I do believe that they would fragment pretty hard inside of 200 and tear up a bunch of good meat on a heart/lung...a CV might be a little different if you were confident in your abilities and things could still go haywire.
    YMMV

Daezee

Master
    J,

We still need to get up on the delivery of Sawman’s pellet rifle you wanted. I’ll give you a box of 125gr Nosler ballistic tips when we get together. I have plenty of them. They’ve worked fine on deer and hogs for me.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    J,

We still need to get up on the delivery of Sawman’s pellet rifle you wanted. I’ll give you a box of 125gr Nosler ballistic tips when we get together. I have plenty of them. They’ve worked fine on deer and hogs for me.
    That would be great. Thanks!

Baddog 0302

Master
    IF you want , I'll throw in a box of Nosler 140 BTHP's. Just let me know when & where the meeting will take place or , Daezee, when / where we can meet.
    What ever bullet you chose it / you should be able to shoot inside 2 MOA at 400 yds. That's about the inside of a paper plate.

Attachments

• AR-10@300 yds 002.JPG
      AR-10@300 yds 002.JPG
      320.6 KB · Views: 62

boatbum101

Marksman
    Never messed with light bullets in a 308 . Years ago as as young man of extremely modest means , sporter '03 30-06 I found the Sierra 125's could vaporize " prarie poodles " aka 'yotes . Never tried 'em on anything larger as expansion was explosive . Even std weight Sierras were prone to spit cores , they killed just fine but I like an exit wound .

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I'd highly suggest playing with the 110gr V-Max... that's what is used in Hornady's TAP ammo and I can tell you from first hand experience it absolutely destroys large hogs. NO PASS THROUGHS means it's a great SD/HD round as well.

When we were issued military surplus M14's, that was our issued duty round.

Watched a ballistics gel demo by Hornady some years back and wow... explosive wound channel.

Fast... flat shooting... deadly.

Factory round on the L and my home rolled version with the 110gr. Z-Max bullet on the R.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I'd highly suggest playing with the 110gr V-Max... that's what is used in Hornady's TAP ammo and I can tell you from first hand experience it absolutely destroys large hogs. NO PASS THROUGHS means it's a great SD/HD round as well.

When we were issued military surplus M14's, that was our issued duty round.

Watched a ballistics gel demo by Hornady some years back and wow... explosive wound channel.

Fast... flat shooting... deadly.

Factory round on the L and my home rolled version with the 110gr. Z-Max bullet on the R.

Good accuracy?? Tks.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Slow trot coyote at about 150 yards with an Aero M5 and ACOG TA11E, first shot hit the front leg, he did the spin-around, second round mid torso, no exit on torso hit.

Top Bottom