• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derek

Marksman
    I'm getting ready to purchase a custom rifle in 6.5-284 Norma. I've always wanted something in the 6.5 Caliber and after doing some research I decided on this caliber over the 6.5 PRC. I'm going to be reloading for it so any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm just now getting into reloading. Thanks.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    I’d start with trying to locate H4350. What twist barrel did you choose? Guys have had a lot of success with the Berger 140 Hybrid

SAWMAN

Master
    Just curious .... why the 6.5 X 284 vs the 6.5PRC ??
    Hopefully your rifle will have a 1:7 vs 1:8 twist.
    I believe that the two mentioned above have the approx. same case capacity so I can think of about 4 other powders that would be appropriate depending on bullet weight. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Derek

Marksman
    First thank you for your responses...I'm going to try and answer both of your questions in one post if that's OK! I am leaning in the direction of a 1:7.5 twist based on what I've been reading...I'm not 100% decided on the twist rate as I am still reading, researching and trying to make the best decision. I chose the 6.5-284 over the the 6.5 PRC based on data and brass availability. Now I could be wrong that's why I inquired here and other sites. Again thanks for your input.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Tons of info on the 6.5-284 among the F-Class and Palma crowd. You could find some good threads on accurateshooter.com It was the go to cartridge for years. The 6.5 PRC is newer but lots of info on snipershide.com. Both of these cartridges will perform best from a long action and both are good options for hunting or target shooting. I think it comes down to magnum or standard bolt face.

Derek

Marksman
    Just curious .... why the 6.5 X 284 vs the 6.5PRC ??
    Hopefully your rifle will have a 1:7 vs 1:8 twist.
    I believe that the two mentioned above have the approx. same case capacity so I can think of about 4 other powders that would be appropriate depending on bullet weight. ---- SAWMAN
    Thank you I will definitely research some more before I make my final decision.

SAWMAN

Master
    My Browning 6.5PRC,with it's 7 twist bbl will stabilize ANY .264" bullet offered. And they will get heavier in the future.
    6.5PRC brass was abundant when I bought my gun. ATLAS and Hornady had all you needed.
    I reccomend ATLAS for your precision gun. ---- SAWMAN

Derek

Marksman
    My Browning 6.5PRC,with it's 7 twist bbl will stabilize ANY .264" bullet offered. And they will get heavier in the future.
    6.5PRC brass was abundant when I bought my gun. ATLAS and Hornady had all you needed.
    I reccomend ATLAS for your precision gun. ---- SAWMAN
    Yes I was told the 7 twist barrel was a great option and ADG brass is among the best. Thank you

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom