• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    I am not sure if snakes kill as many as stated, but in some places they are certainly a threat to public health.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...20201119&rid=275E3A4C5ECBA7805FBB63C5C86FCC1D
    By Rachael Bale, ANIMALS Executive Editor

After humans and mosquitoes, snakes kill more people on Earth than any other animal.

More than 100,000 people die from venomous snakebites every year. The snakebite crisis is so bad that the World Health Organization has put it on its roster of deadly neglected tropical diseases—along with rabies, dengue, and leprosy.
    One of the worst-hit locations is sub-Saharan Africa, where up to 30,000 deaths from snakebites are believed to occur each year. But some doctors and snakebite experts say the true toll may be double that. A major factor is a severe shortage of the only medicine that can neutralize the toxins of dangerous snakes: antivenom. Complicating matters is that many victims, for lack of money or transportation, or because of distrust of Western medicine, don’t go to hospitals—or don’t get there in time. Staff at many health centers are insufficiently trained to treat snakebites, and even if the drug is on hand, it’s too expensive for many victims. Additionally, most of the more reliable African antivenoms need to be kept refrigerated to stay stable and effective. With frequent power cuts, even in cities, keeping them cold can be nearly impossible.

1605851233021.png

1605851761160.png

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    The neuro-toxin varieties that are thruout SE Asia are really bad. Some rather small and super agressive.
    The ones that reside off the ground are the absolute worse. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    The neuro-toxin varieties that are thruout SE Asia are really bad. Some rather small and super agressive.
    The ones that reside off the ground are the absolute worse. ---- SAWMAN
    In africa, the most feared is the Mamba because it is aggressive and fast averaging 8-9 ft in length.

flow

Expert
    What would be your ideal weapon/caliber for dispatching a snake? This is directed at anyone reading this. I'm genuinely curious. I remember academy used to market a single shot 410 as a snake charmer

FrommerStop

Master
    What would be your ideal weapon/caliber for dispatching a snake? This is directed at anyone reading this. I'm genuinely curious. I remember academy used to market a single shot 410 as a snake charmer
    3 inch barrel small frame 5 shot .38 special. Stick gun with it holster in a front pocket when working around my place.
    Getting colder now so the moccasins should not be out. But I have some boards to shift and I will put the gun in pocket when I do that.
    Never stick your hands somewhere without being sure what is there.
    If if was activity hunting snakes up close I would use a .45 colt revolver or .44 revolver. Just a lot more shot.

SAWMAN

Master
    No shot load in any pistol caliber will even come close to a 410 shotgun rd in either 2.5 or 3 inch.
    If I were to look for a weapon for close range snake protection to carry either in pocket or on belt it would be 5 shot revo in 410. ( wishing one was offered in 28ga)
    I owned a Taurus at one point and was impressed at the pattern it printed at 10-15' or so. Problem with pistol chamberings slinging shot is the shot size and density of pattern. Sometimes you actually have to get closer to the snake than you want to to have the load be in the least bit effective.
    A 2.5" load of #6,7.5,or 8 shot from a 410 will do it every time. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    No shot load in any pistol caliber will even come close to a 410 shotgun rd in either 2.5 or 3 inch.
    If I were to look for a weapon for close range snake protection to carry either in pocket or on belt it would be 5 shot revo in 410. ( wishing one was offered in 28ga)
    I owned a Taurus at one point and was impressed at the pattern it printed at 10-15' or so. Problem with pistol chamberings slinging shot is the shot size and density of pattern. Sometimes you actually have to get closer to the snake than you want to to have the load be in the least bit effective.
    The most important for me is that the weapons is always there when I am working on my place. When I take my work pants off the gun is in the pocket. When put them on in the morning the gun is there. The other pocket has a set of prunning shears. A .410 revolver will not fit in my front pocket and so is less useful.
    If the snake is actively moving from a distance of say 12 feet put one into the head area. slows it down at bit for sure, close the distance in half and once more. Then right on top of it put another in the head. Never had one give away. The 410 is better, but more difficult to have. I am still carrying a full size 9x19 pistol in a bandoleer holster. I am wearing that pistol this very moment.
    always be armed. So I literally in the warmer months am carrying two guns.
    i am wondering about the shot size and might go to reloading 7 1/2 rather then the even smaller shot in my speer shot rounds. Moccasins have tough skin.
    I am thinking that there used to be a light wt 5 shot .44 spl by charter arms, but the .38 does well snakes and I do want to pay for an extra gun.

joraca

Expert
    Years ago, I patterned a bunch of .410 shells at 25 yds out of a single shot. 3 inch 7.5 shot were by far the best.

There is a snippet of a protein out of oppossum blood that is effective against a range of snake venoms. Off-patent now. Never has been commercially developed.

FrommerStop

Master
    Years ago, I patterned a bunch of .410 shells at 25 yds out of a single shot. 3 inch 7.5 shot were by far the best.

There is a snippet of a protein out of oppossum blood that is effective against a range of snake venoms. Off-patent now. Never has been commercially developed.
    Possums are said to be immune to pit viper bites and possums are said to eat snakes. They are not immune to corral snakes. unfortunately possums also attack fruit trees and chicks.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    We must ban all the snakes

NO BAN!

we need to catch them all and send them to wash DC, to keep company with the rest of the snakes we have to deal with.

htf1963

Shooter

.45 shotshells by CCI....have dispatched many up here near Bonifay...nod to Sawman, the little green mamba in the trees

htf1963

Shooter
    The most important for me is that the weapons is always there when I am working on my place. When I take my work pants off the gun is in the pocket. When put them on in the morning the gun is there. The other pocket has a set of prunning shears. A .410 revolver will not fit in my front pocket and so is less useful.
    If the snake is actively moving from a distance of say 12 feet put one into the head area. slows it down at bit for sure, close the distance in half and once more. Then right on top of it put another in the head. Never had one give away. The 410 is better, but more difficult to have. I am still carrying a full size 9x19 pistol in a bandoleer holster. I am wearing that pistol this very moment.
    always be armed. So I literally in the warmer months am carrying two guns.
    i am wondering about the shot size and might go to reloading 7 1/2 rather then the even smaller shot in my speer shot rounds. Moccasins have tough skin.
    I am thinking that there used to be a light wt 5 shot .44 spl by charter arms, but the .38 does well snakes and I do want to pay for an extra gun.

gotta have it with to use it...45 CCI shotshells...awesome

HayesGreener

Expert
    I have one of these snake charmers hanging above the door in my closet. My wife and I have dispatched a number of venomous slithering critters with it loaded with #9 skeet loads. Spare shells are held in the buttstock which makes it handy to load/reload. Of course a 12 ga will do the job, as will a 45acp and 9mm, if you hit them...

Top Bottom