• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gatorbob

Shooter
    I am relocating to the East coast of Florida in a few months looking for advice concerning putting a gun safe in my Garage. I concern about higher temperates, humidity, Rust, best practices. I was going to use 1 to½ inch wood strips under the mounting bolts to raise it off the concrete floor, no direct metal to floor contact. Any suggestions, how about storage of ammo.

Daezee

Master
    Ammo cans. Put ammo in the GI cans in a dehumidified room. Leave can open for a day or so then close. Then put can in garage.

Welldoya

Master
    Put a dehumidifier in your garage and a tub of damp rid or one (or two) of those $20 rechargeable dehumidifiers in the safe.

Gatorbob

Shooter
    I used damp rid when I was stationed overseas in Okinawa because of the humidity but I was concern with rust, isn't the stuff in damp rid a corrosive.

I got to talk the wife into putting the safe in the house like a closet. Think the garage is going to get to hot and damp for my guns, let alone, cans of ammo. :frown:

SCTaylor

Expert
    When I was in Florida, my safe & ammo lived in the garage but kept the guns inside in a storage closet. In Houston, everything was in the garage with a rechargeable "mini-humidifier". The kind that is the size of a VHS tape with crystals which can be recharged by plugging into a wall outlet.

GatorBob - You don't happen to be the same guy that built the FS18, are you?

kimbernut

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I'm handicapped and I spend a lot of time in my garage/man cave. I tried everything to keep the humidity and garage temp down. A friend who is in the a/c business talked me into letting him put in a mini split system( a miniature central system that is super efficient. The total unit cost $1400.00 and he installed for free ( and yes that is what you call a heck of a friend). My power bill increased by about $80.00 a month which is a small price to pay for comfort in an area i spend 80% of the day. The split system comes with a full charge and all piping. I had an electrician prep for the install and do the final hook up. Hope that helps!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    you can use a dehumidifier and just poke the drain outside and install a small AC unit that will control the temp..cost $200-400 added ele cost 40-60 or so a month to control a double garage.

Gatorbob

Shooter
    When I was in Florida, my safe & ammo lived in the garage but kept the guns inside in a storage closet. In Houston, everything was in the garage with a rechargeable "mini-humidifier". The kind that is the size of a VHS tape with crystals which can be recharged by plugging into a wall outlet.

GatorBob - You don't happen to be the same guy that built the FS18, are you?

That would not be me, sorry.

Gatorbob

Shooter
    you can use a dehumidifier and just poke the drain outside and install a small AC unit that will control the temp..cost $200-400 added ele cost 40-60 or so a month to control a double garage.

I got a Small window AC unit that might keep the temp down but would also have to use a dehumidifier to pull the water out of the cooler air. I'll run the idea pass the my CFO and see if she will sign off on the idea. I have a feeling the my gun safe will end up in a closet in the house. That way I can spend the money some I want like more firearms ! :D

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    The A/C will dehumidify itself, just not sure to what level

wildrider666

Master
    A Safe still requires a mounting system to reach full security potential. Anything you put between the Safe and floor that allows compression or tool insertion compromises that. In summer my driveway slab will conduct heat 2.5 feet into bedroom tile floor when the HVAC room duct is closed!

I recommend Safe guns get metal whipped down with RIG RAG, wipe down and reapply every six months. Also have a large Damp Rid granual container SEALED over a large water collection container. It collects about a pint in six weeks (inside Safe, in a A/C room). There are remote Same monitoring seytems available, might be somthing to look at.

Garage insulation, HVAC or fans/venting make a big difference. I just have structural vents in my detached garage. Nothing gets to hot (motorcycles, kayaks, tools), your guns would probably get hotter after 10 rounds. So my opinion is neitthe heat nor cold will bother guns maintained in a garage Safe.

Ammo is a different story as a Cool, Dry and low humidity place is recommended. SAAMI says ammo starts to deteriorate at 150° F. Rapid wide reoccurring changes in temp are worse. Storage consideration always revolve around the quantity involved. Second is the level of security you desire. In Fl, I don't worry about the few cold days but if you break a sweat in the area in a few minutes its too hot I'm a firm believer on in clean surplus GI Ammo Cans with good seals (coat seals with gun oil to keep ther pliable). Uniformity in size wil aid conservation of space. I use grease pencil to mark cartridge type and date packed. I keep two with a split in each to match Bugout needs. Obviously you can stack in a closet thats not against a outside wall or under beds (plastic office chair mats will allow easy sliding and prevent tile/carpet stains & wear. Inspect your ammo! Rotate the stock and shoot oldest first. I leave import spam cans intact and only open when it rotates to the top. You could also use a food vacuum sealer. Not only does it do its thing, ammo won't chafe or rattlle, it takes more space and expense but your ammo will be fresh even it flooded!

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    I like the food sealer idea... thanks

Back when I was collecting and not shooting old guns and their ammo, I bought a vacuum food sealer to protect the very limited out of production ammo I found. If someone has a favorite gun/cartridge that is fading from popular use, its a good way to stash it long term. I also recall some folks got flooded last year and lost ammo, this would have saved it. I guess you could manually suck the air out of a heavy freezer bag but I don't know if you could get the same level of moisture free vacuum.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I have many rolls to make any size bags and the sealer I seldom use...Great idea! Those bags are really heavy material too...

brasshog

Marksman
    Put the largest golden rod in your safe that will fit and if your storing your ammo long term go with 7mil mylar ziplock bag and vacuum pack it with O2 absorbers inside an ammo can. If you want access to it just don't use the absorber or vacuum it down.

chibooey

Shooter
    I am moving to the Pace area next month from a northern state. I was considering storing my ammo in GI cans stored inside an old non-running refrigerator (with good seals on cans and refrigerator) in the garage. I could add Damp Rid or a golden rod. Firearms would be inside the house in a safe. Is this a good or bad idea?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I am moving to the Pace area next month from a northern state. I was considering storing my ammo in GI cans stored inside an old non-running refrigerator (with good seals on cans and refrigerator) in the garage. I could add Damp Rid or a golden rod. Firearms would be inside the house in a safe. Is this a good or bad idea?

I would have no qualms about storing ammo that way. Well, I would not use a golden rod or anything electrical in there. Things do fail and Murphy would see that as a prime opportunity to short out the golden rod.

wildrider666

Master
    Add a lock. Damp Rid:Yes. Even in a sealed dead refrigerator, the inside and outside temps will equalize at some point. It will however lake longer for full temp swings and provide better temp day to day overall stabilization. but seasonal temps (what change we have, lol) will happen. Avoid direct sunlight on unit. IMHO.

p.s. I keep sealed powder in sealed ammo cans and when I pop the cans open there are always fumes. Everything degrades over time. I have not sensed fumes from loaded ammo when I open cans, but I won't tempt fate with electricity.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Stuff in garages tends to rust after awhile...
    that huge non-insulated door doesn't help...
    plus it's less sturdy than you can imagine,
    unless you've got an upgraded door with
    hurricane strengtheners in it (which are usually
    shaped 2x4's placed inside the metal as they put it
    together).

So firearms in a garage? No.
    Ammo, Sure.

Top Bottom