• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Just curious of the stories to be told of stuff you’ve had stolen on your hunting property or things stolen that belonged to your friends. Personally over the years I’ve had one brand new Cougar Claw climber stolen off of a tree, had it locked up, only sat in it one time before it walked off. Had 3 ladder stands to disappear. And had a nice mobile shooting house in a clear cut intentionally set on fire and burned up. Never had a camera stolen yet, several of my buddies on our lease have had their cameras stolen. About 35 years ago when I was hunting in another county north of me, my brother heard some racket and he got down and walked back to his Chevy Blazer and two guys was unloading his 4 wheeler, he hollered at them and shot over their head, they didn’t get his 4 wheeler but took his straps, and buddy that hunted with us on that property had 2 guns stolen out of his truck. We are a vulnerable easy target to low life scum bags when leaving our vehicles parked out by the road in rural areas.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Fortunately I've only had one game camera taken, I believe it was done by a survey crew as the ranch property is pretty much isolated as it is, and this area was really off the beaten path. A couple months prior a land survey had been done and then I noticed my camera missing.

The land the borders my own land, that I now lease, had a tree stand stolen about twenty years ago and a couple years before I took over the lease the lease holder found a live .45/70 cartridge at the base of his ladder stand. No one in the lease at the time used a .45/70.

Other than that, I've been fortunate. I try to remove my feeders and stands ASAP when I'm done hunting. The ladder stands stay.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Not sure the rules, but if someone is committing grand theft auto against a person who is actively HUNTing, that means they understand the person is armed and accustomed to stalking... universal sign of stupidity and arrogance.

Should remove them from the gene pool and claim self-defense.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Not sure the rules, but if someone is committing grand theft auto against a person who is actively HUNTing, that means they understand the person is armed and accustomed to stalking... universal sign of stupidity and arrogance.

Should remove them from the gene pool and claim self-defense.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around... does it make a sound?

I mean after all, if you're the last man standing, just how many versions of "a story" can be told?

In all seriousness, I'd never use DF to protect property, and never is a strong word. But that's me and that's my strategy to avoid an untrust worthy judicial system and fickle public opinion... YMMV.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    In all seriousness, I'd never use DF to protect property, and never is a strong word. But that's me and that's my strategy to avoid an untrust worthy judicial system and fickle public opinion... YMMV.
    Especially after they comb through all your internet traffic from your ISP. Find all the posts you have ever made and twist them to make you look like a nut.

Welldoya

Master
    We had 1200 acres leased south of Brewton for 32 years. We had the biggest problems when some teenagers lived in a trailer on the highway bordering our property.
    We had a climber stolen and 2 ladder stands. Our steel main gate got dented. One of the punks had a big steel bumper on his truck.
    I found beer cans throughout the woods and under one of our ladders that was locked to a tree.
    They also shot holes in the tin roofs of a couple of our shooting houses with .22s.
    When they moved, our problems stopped.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Especially after they comb through all your internet traffic from your ISP. Find all the posts you have ever made and twist them to make you look like a nut.

Apparently that ship has sailed...

I stand by my posts, though.
    I wasn’t advocating using deadly force to protect property. I’m advocating protecting yourself.

In that scenario, you’re out in the middle of nowhere, by yourself, with a gun, and someone decides that in spite of those facts, they’re going to commit a felony against you. The conversation is over. If you stumbled upon them in the middle of one felony, what’s to stop them from going further? Draw your weapon, and go from there.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Apparently that ship has sailed...

I stand by my posts, though.
    I wasn’t advocating using deadly force to protect property. I’m advocating protecting yourself.

In that scenario, you’re out in the middle of nowhere, by yourself, with a gun, and someone decides that in spite of those facts, they’re going to commit a felony against you. The conversation is over. If you stumbled upon them in the middle of one felony, what’s to stop them from going further? Draw your weapon, and go from there.
    No, I understood you. Im just saying that there's a lot of people in this world (and a few on this forum) who read into posts what they want to see.

Im not a lawyer, but I do believe that initiating deadly force in the prevention of theft of any amount, where personal harm is not reasonably threatened, by a civilian is not allowed under current law. Is that right? I don't think it is, but that's where our current laws have us.

Felony is a difficult legal standard- Felony theft is different from felony assault. Not even getting into the degrees of assault and which ones are felonys. Its a mess to figure out and personally, I think that's the point. The more time we spend time arguing amongst ourselves, the easier we are to control...

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I've been lucky so far. Only lost a camera they left my blind. Clearcutters got it.
    . I'm hoping on our new place we don't have any trouble. People have been hunting on it without ANY permission for about +20 years. We've put lots of signs and purple paint on trees and built several new fences but still think people are sneaking into it. But as soon as we started building, improving it we introduced ourselves to the game warden and Sheriff's office. Both have dropped by several times since.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    E565E67A-3011-4E22-9C53-5F837B044061.jpeg

“Felonious thief who doesn’t care about the armed Hunter discovering him in the act”?

Noted. Judged-by-12 vs Carried-by-6....

Or, as previously mentioned: backhoe and SSS.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    View attachment 200016

“Felonious thief who doesn’t care about the armed Hunter discovering him in the act”?

Noted. Judged-by-12 vs Carried-by-6....

Or, as previously mentioned: backhoe and SSS.
    Legal vs Moral vs Honorable - I believe we may be talking past each other while not actually disagreeing.

Reactions: FLT

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Don’t know about the great state of Florida but here in the great state of Alabama we have the “Stand your ground Law”. It reads, “The defendant does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his/her ground so long as he/she is justified in using deadly physical force and is not engaged in an illegal activity and is in a place where he/she has a right to be located”. So I would interpret that as saying if you encounter a thief on your hunting lease and “feel threatened” you have the right to feed him some lead poisoning. I don’t want to ever be in that situation wether somebody is stealing from me or whatever but if I’m armed in the encounter and I have the thought that bodily injury is coming my way then the other guy is in trouble.

lees way2

Expert
    So far 14 years,we have not lost anything. Found a bunch of meth heads passed out at gates and a 28 ft enclosed equipment trailer dumped on the lease that was stolen from bayminet. They might get every thing we got tonight but been lucky so far.It has cost me a bunch but I have cameras watching cameras at every gate, and I have 18 gates right now and unless they got a 12 ft ladder they will be hard pressed to get them.

Ace123

Shooter
    Had a stand at the old club get stolen. The portion of land that the stand was on got leased out to the adjacent club and I didn't get to it in time to remove it. I wasn't told that the land wasn't ours anymore until after the deal was done. Bastards

big jon

Marksman
    you can do anything you want if there arnt any witnesses just make sure there arnt any witnesses

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    got a clear shot? got a shovel?

ain't no need to call police.

Top Bottom