• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    So with all the hoopla and what appears to be a definate change on the horizon, what is your black rifle worth now? I really think that Obama is going to enact another AWB but will it be permanent this time? If so, does your AR value go up or down? I mean if you are not allowed to sell it to anyone then is it worthless?

So with what appears to be a 30 day window to buy right now because of Obama wanting something done by the end of January, will a $1,000 AR sell privately for closer to $2,000 before the ban? Magazines that sold for $12 a week ago are now selling for $50, a 400% increase.

Is it wiser to sell your AR and buy some other firearms? Will the next AWB be so strict that you can't even take your AR out of the safe? Or worse yet, will you have to hand it over?

So again I ask, what is the value of your AR now?

MrFish

Expert
    If they manage to pass anything, I don't believe they will get anything through that has any teeth. Probably a high cap magazine ban and I don't see anything permanent. Just too much opposition from both sides.

And as far as value, it still will be whatever someone is willing to pay. I would never give 2 grand for an AR. It's not that great of a rifle. I would spend that type of money on a quality bolt gun and glass.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I just took delivery of another 6.8 ordered before the event. I will hold on to my first one till ?? is offered. Then I just ordered yesterday a 5.56 upper and will keep it till I get ?? for it. I think 4-5 X's what I paid should do it.

outside9

Master
    So with all the hoopla and what appears to be a definate change on the horizon, what is your black rifle worth now? I really think that Obama is going to enact another AWB but will it be permanent this time? If so, does your AR value go up or down? I mean if you are not allowed to sell it to anyone then is it worthless?

So with what appears to be a 30 day window to buy right now because of Obama wanting something done by the end of January, will a $1,000 AR sell privately for closer to $2,000 before the ban? Magazines that sold for $12 a week ago are now selling for $50, a 400% increase.

Is it wiser to sell your AR and buy some other firearms? Will the next AWB be so strict that you can't even take your AR out of the safe? Or worse yet, will you have to hand it over?

So again I ask, what is the value of your AR now?

It worked so well with alcohol during Prohibition

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    To me they are worth the same as they are not for sale. Without stating the obvious,you cant sell what you dont have...

joe

Master
    Seems their will be some opportunities for gun manufactures to work around the new rules if they pass. It will be interesting to see what the market comes up with if the AWB does pass.

Most likely you would still be able to buy a Browning BAR, Remington 7400, Benelli ETC if not then a good pump rifle would be a good option. I just do not like the look of the Remington pump that is out now. I would love to get a old Browning BPR. I always wanted a good pump action rifle.

Seems if they end all sales of AR & you are one to follow the laws(me) it would actually make your Assault weapons worthless. Sure you can go shoot it but one could never sell it so the monetary value would be $0.

Joe

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Ive been thinking about this myself and trying not to freak out..

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    They will never be worthless, just wait and see, no one knows what they are going to do...all this speculation and hysterics just makes it worse!

joe

Master
    This is all speculation but if one can not sell something legally it has no monetary value to a law abiding citizens. Just if they outlaw magazines over 10 rounds all the 30 rnd P Mags everyone bought are worthless. We are talking about monetary value not the usefulness of it.

To me making $50 on a mag or even doubling my money on a gun for 1,000 profit. Pails in comparison to my current earning power. That earning power would be 0 if I ever got convected of a felony. Not to mention losing the rights to have any guns or ever being able to use one for hunting.

Last edited:

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Exactly, monetary value. Why would anyone spend $50 on a PMag? Yet they are doing it right now. Why? Just so they can say they have them once they get banned? Or is it so they can resell them 2 days before the ban goes into effect for 3 times that amount?

I am seeing people buying up AR's right now only to sell them for a profit on the private market. And this is only under the speculation that they are going to be banned. How many AR's are on Florida Gun Trader right now for 2x what they sold for two weeks ago?

So again I ask, what is your AR worth to you? Is it worth keeping it and when the ban occurs you can say "I have one" or do you sell it at a profit now and get something else? If I can sell my AR for a profit and buy a nice bolt gun or a nice semi-auto shotgun then maybe it is worth it. Guns for me are tools, not collectors items.

Not trying to start any hysteria or stir any pots at all, just trying get an idea of where the value lies for others in their AR. Looking at the classifieds I would say they are expendable in order to make a profit.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Joe private sales are excluded, you can't get more so the value rises, same that happened before.

And if they were not we could just send them to eric holder to sell illegally to drug guys to take back to Mexico.

joe

Master
    Frank you may be right but that is not what I heard on Sundays "Meet the Press".

If the link does not pop up scroll down to video clips and look for "Feinstein announces plans for a bill" and hear what she plans for your self. It sure sounds like she will ban any transfer or sell including private sales. Of course what she preposes & what passes are two different things. Those who bought guns to resell are speculating that they can sell them before the ban or after the ban like you mention. With that speculation comes risk.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/#50215770

It looks like the head of the NRA will also be on meet the press this Sunday. If I was you guys I would tune in.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Yeah they want any sale, Gun show or Private to have to under go a background check and that means thru a FFL. You can still sell at any price they just want a check in this regard. I feel like the NRA has been neutered and are gonna cave on us...after all they rated Harry Reid ahead of his Republican foe in the last 10 elections.

gkmac54

Expert
    my understanding is the background check, 200 dollar fee, finger printing and photo are for registration of an owned gun prior to the proposed ban. All in an effort to protect the gun owners rights, via grandfathering. Hilarious, I know. Make no mistake the goal is to stop buying and selling at all levels. Furthermore, the gov't confiscates the weapon at the time of your death. There is no provision to even will your banned weapon, much less, sell or transfer a banned weapon. I never thought Obama Care would happen, or his re-election. Would not be surprised if the bill, as stated, is passed in to law. If so, banned weapons have no value in a legal market. Ownership without compliance w/ registration renders a gunowner an immediate felon. Change is coming folks, stand by.

Drauka99

Marksman
    here is how I say they could implement it... make it illegal to be in possesion of any gun not registered in your name. Private sales could still happen but you would be required to go to a police station within x ammount of buisness days to transfer ownership. I see it being a huge fine and confiscation if found with a gun not registered in your name.

What it would basiclly do is force you to hide any guns you didn't register and be very risky for them to ever see the light.

Ken232

Marksman
    got one set up for CQB and one for SRTS (Short rng tac sniper)and one Mini14 for sale "Later" I wont ask 10X what I paid but it may even be trade fodder for the right amt of ammo ect who knows. besides I also have an AR pistol right now the Mini14's are fetching 1 grand on some forums mags are out of this world and 223 well yeah we know where thats at. like they say hes the best gun salesman out there IF i did sell my ar's they prolly get 1200 each but no way id ask 2-3 grand..yet ;)

wildrider666

Master
    The value is not in the firearm bought or sold.

The value is in the freedom the firearm allows to continue unhampered.

To bow is to be a Slave. To stand as a free man or woman is GOD given and not dependent upon what political faction currently claims to govern the soil I stand upon.

What is mine worth. My Liberty, My freedom, My life, and it shall not go cheaply.

Britain: Registration in 1968, Confiscation in 1997.

Australia MANDATORY gun buy back. Because the Australian Constitution prevents the taking of property without just compensation the federal government introduced the Medicare Levy Amendment Act 1996 to raise the predicted cost of A$500 million through a one-off increase in the Medicare levy. The gun buy-back scheme started on 1 October 1996 and concluded on 30 September 1997.[23] The buyback purchased and destroyed more than 631,000 firearms, mostly semi-auto .22 rimfires, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns. Only Victoria provided a breakdown of types destroyed, and in that state less than 3% were military style semi-automatic rifles.

Mine aren't for sale, trade, registration, buy-back or voluntary turn in.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    They will attempt to make us felons, make or current guns worthless as in not being able to sell them or fees so high you have no buyers. All those over priced pmags guys bought will be worthless and not able to be used hunting or at any range, may even be deemed illegal. Lose your carry permit, be fined and lose the mag over 10 rds IF you are found with it. Something like that so they are not seen as banning things.

Drauka99

Marksman
    That's why I say they will end up making some law that requires any firearm in your possession be registered in your name. They will start with hunters using game wardens and slowly make it one of the questions any cop that pulls you over will ask (any guns in the car) they will then run the serial number and if not registered to you, the gun will be seized/forfited and you will be issued a big fine.

Of course this makes a AR lower even more valuable since you can change uppers for a few different calibers.

Just my pessimistic view

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom