wild hog meat - is it normal, to smell. ..like poop???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffees

Shooter
    Just finished our first hog hunt (at 2 Guys and a Hog in Perry, FL - great place, but that's another post).
    Hogs were pressure washed, cleaned, skinned, quartered, and packed on ice within 60 minutes of being shot.
    We bagged 3 hogs. 1 boar and 2 sows. Two were gut shot, and the guys at 2 Hogs threw those ribs out.
    We got back home and I wanted to make some back strap for family and friends. Noticed that the meat smelled kind of funky...like poop. Rinsed back strap really good and put some dry rub on it and smoked it on the grill with apple wood chips. Did same with the ribs from heart shot sow. Back strap turned out okay, but ribs still tasted and smelled...like poop.
    We've had the rest of the meat on ice for 2 days, and meat still smells funny.
    What can I do? Do you think the meat is good, or bad?
    Any suggestions to get the smell out, and make the meat taste good?
    This newbie is looking to the experienced pros out there for some help!
    Thanks!

Snow Bird

Master
    Anything that has been gut shot it is hard to get rid of the smell. That smell may have moved into your good meat to. I have no good ideas for you.

Dan1612

Master
    The only thing that can get the poop smell off my hands (I have little ones), even without direct contact, is exfoliation. It's a very contagious smell.
    I wouldn't eat it. Just me.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    put it in salt water brine, add a cup of lemon juice. Just dump everything, cover the meat after rinsing w the brine to top of meat and add ice to keep it cold for 3 days, if the smell is not gone you are on your own about eating. you might toss everything but the quarters and straps.
    When gut shot I take the quarters that poop has not touched and the straps, toss the rest w/o even gutting....they processed it wrong for you.

heffees

Shooter
    My hunt was with these guys. Hunt and camp were great. ..just this funky smelling meat...

heffees

Shooter
    FrankT, thanks for the advice!
    Couple of more questions.
    1. How long can hog meat stay on ice before it needs to be cooked or frozen?
    2. Do you recommend cooking/smoking myself, or taking this meat to a processor and having smoked/turned into sausage?
    3. Who do you recommend as a processor in Okaloosa?
    4. Where can I go to find some good recipes for wild hog meat?

Last edited:

heffees

Shooter
    We are all new to the area & new to hog hunting. Have been wanting to do this for years, and we finally did! This was our first hunt and we loved it! Looking for another place to hunt near Eglin area. (Paid if necessary)
    Any suggestions?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Since I am in Destin, I have not found a processor here, I do my own.

You can leave it in brine 5-7 days, very cold. If after the brine and lemon juice you still have the smell I would toss the meat, They never should have packed the gut shot meat w the good meat and they processed a gut shot hog incorrectly in the first place, I would be pissed! If ground and then cooked your stinky meat would run you out of the house cooking!

There are many places on googlefoo for recipes. I put a rub on mine, smoke 3 hrs then put in a counter top roaster for another 3 hrs. You can debone, marinade(to taste) to flavor for a day and net(use a cooking net) the meat together and smoke or roast. Have to buy a grinder myself for sausage as you never know what you get back from processors.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    We are all new to the area & new to hog hunting. Have been wanting to do this for years, and we finally did! This was our first hunt and we loved it! Looking for another place to hunt near Eglin area. (Paid if necessary)
    Any suggestions?

Get a hoggy lease, Spring Hill comes to mind. There is a place above Crestview(I think) that Dave has a topic on for a paid area. Very difficult on WMA's, lots of work compared to a paid hunt.

heffees

Shooter
    Is there a certain ratio of water:salt:lemon juice?
    Apologize for all the questions, but this is a steep learning curve for us. :)

Just Dave

Marksman
    Damn Crapatalk didn't let me finish. I would also consider using apple cider/apple juice or even pineapple juice as part of the mixture depending on how your family's tastes run.

@Frank, Two Guys doesn't package it per se. They will clean it for you, but the customer is responsible to bring the cooler(s) and ice to get it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw the bit that they will provide ice now. That wasn't the case two years ago.

Last edited:

heffees

Shooter
    Frank, thanks again for sharing your valuable info! What is Dave's forum handle so I can inquire about the Crestview paid area? Also, do you know where I can find info about Spring Hill lease options?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Just Dave...LOL

I am sorry, been at the lease all day. It is 1 cup, I prefer kosher salt, per gallon of water. 1 cup lemon or anything Dave mentioned, 1 cup per 1-2 gallons of water.

Where they went wrong was taking gut shot meat and then also mixing it w good meat. First is you don't gut shoot, second if you do just cut the hams off and the straps and dump the rest. I take the front and rear quarters and the staps normally, that way I don't have to gut the animal.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Damn Crapatalk didn't let me finish. I would also consider using apple cider/apple juice or even pineapple juice as part of the mixture depending on how your family's tastes run.

@Frank, Two Guys doesn't package it per se. They will clean it for you, but the customer is responsible to bring the cooler(s) and ice to get it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw the bit that they will provide ice now. That wasn't the case two years ago.

So Dave this is where you went too? sorry I thought there was or you went to a place N of Crestview...my bad.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer

Dan1612

Master
    ^
    Wow, wish there was a closer place. Looks great!

Top Bottom