• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmfillin1

Expert
    just want some other opinions on the model, just trying to get into the wheel gun game a little more. Saw it the other day and new i wanted it. Any input?...pros?...cons?

bohica793

Master
    My understanding is that the 19's were susceptible to cracks developing in the top strap at the forcing cone if too many magnum loads were used. I would recommend a very close examination.

jmfillin1

Expert
    i have actually read that in a few places myself as well, some folks have said it takes 6000 plus rounds for cracking to occur on some models, others say it takes less....i will inspect it a lot further when i go tomorrow (i dont shy away from taking a jewlers loop with me haha). Thanks for the response

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    I haven't seen any top straps cracked, but I have seen forcing cones cracked from prolonged used of light 125gr magnum loads. It's fixable, but requires a new barrel to be fitted. I have a 19-2, 13-3, and 65-2 and haven't any issues with any of them other than timing on the 65 after several years of me shooting it, my wife using it for the police academy plus however much it was used by the Spokane PD when they owned it in the late 70s until I bought it in 88.

jmfillin1

Expert
    well thanks thats optimistic at least....i wont be firing it a whole heck of a lot, but ill look more at the top strap and cone condition tomorrow before i get it to make sure theres no obvious signs

jmfillin1

Expert
    figured id upload some pics of the cone looks to be in great shape to me..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-22-19-23-56.jpg
      Screenshot_2015-01-22-19-23-56.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 165

jmfillin1

Expert
    and more

Attachments

• IMAG0572 (1).jpg
      IMAG0572 (1).jpg
      417.7 KB · Views: 168
    • IMAG0567 (1).jpg
      IMAG0567 (1).jpg
      297.8 KB · Views: 167

Jeb21

Master
    The Model 19 are a classic. Finding one with a chrome (or is that nickel finish?) makes it even better. If you are just getting into revolvers, you picked an excellent gun.

The grips are very nice, although you might want to switch them out before firing any magnums through them. Those skinny grips are a bit hard on the hands. For magnum use I like the pachmeyr Classics model. They cover the backstrap with rubber and make shooting hot rounds more comfortable.

I agree that you should avoid running 125 grain magnums through them. Stick to 158 grain magnums.

I have three model 66s (the stainless version) I tend to only shoot 38s out of them but that is mostly because I don't like magnum recoil. I find the Kframe to be the perfect balance between shoot ability and portability.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Thanks! And yeah I'm not a huge fan of the grips myself...Will most likely go for some rubberized grips soon. And ur right it's a nickel finish that looks to be almost perfect. I plan to mainly fire .38 through it and the occasional .357 and +p

Also a Model 19 owner,Pensacola

Hello,My father gave me a Smith Model 19,nickel plated for my 16th birthday,33 plus years ago.How many 16 year olds can say that??..After years and many hundreds of rounds,I had it professionally cleaned and inspected recently.No issues were found.When I go to the range,I take some full magnum rounds to make sure everyone knows I'm there and plenty of 38 special to target with.I put a set of Hogue grips on it and they made an enormous difference.I have Hogue grips on every firearm I have if Hogue make grips for them...Back to the point,Smith Model 19..Sweet Hand gun!!!

Attachments

• SAM_0201.JPG
      SAM_0201.JPG
      68.7 KB · Views: 121
    • SAM_0202.JPG
      SAM_0202.JPG
      64.7 KB · Views: 123

Ken232

Marksman
    I have that gun now or its twin ...love it and u don't find nickel in that condition much anymore...I carry it once in awhile ...feels good on the hip

Top Bottom