• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dan1612

Master
    So, I lasted all of 3 days out there. I'm a pretty mild mannered guy, but if I get crap, I do fight back. Any other experiences out there, good or bad?

Thank you GCGF for actually being a pleasant and decent group of guys. I'm proud to be a member here. Now, how do I get a t-shirt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Did SERE trained smart ass get you going? lol . I never registered over there, didn't like the cool aid they all seemed to be drinking.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Seems like everyone thinks that everyone else is always wrong about everything and will rudely voice their righteousness. No thanks, I've got nothing to prove.

Welldoya

Master
    I'm a member but I haven't gone out there much, not enough to see what the general temperment of the members are.
    I have noticed that it seems like the forums that appeal to the older guys seem to be more mild-mannered. The members of the S&W and Colt forums are very well-behaved. (as are the members of the Gulf Coast Gun Forum)
    Plus, it depends a lot on the moderator and what his policies are.

Dan1612

Master
    Yeah, the moderator came out and started ragging on people for listing guns in their signature. I had not done that, and can't see signatures since I'm on the app. Just a generally unfriendly crowd, so I spoke my mind even though I knew it'd get me the boot. Fine by me.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    There are not many forums out there that I can stand to read anymore. Too many egotistical moderators and "I know more than anyone" members. It is much worse since the panic created so many new gun owners.

1911Junky

Master
    I was perfectly happy to get banned.
    If anyone gets bored, here's my thread:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=437160

Shows you the kind of jackasserie to expect. Yes, I did just make up a word. Lol.

I have been a member there for awhile now and rarely ever get on there, because just as in your experience most on there are assh*#%s. You cannot have discussion on anything without it going sideways in some way and everyone on there thinks they are experts.

Dan1612

Master
    Exactly. I hear AR15.com is even worse, but I don't care to find out. Thank goodness we have GCGF.

Champ62

Master
    I'm with you guys on 1911 forum, I look there occasionally but never have posted, for obvious reasons. Dan, I don't think that you called AC or Dangerous any names, just facts.......You might want to try this forum, I've never had a problem there. http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php?

Dan1612

Master
    Yes, I thought they were facts as well, and I usually wouldn't sign off like that, but I figured it'd be my last post, so I might as well tell them what I really thought. It was the whole thing that killed it for me, not just the stuff at the end.I think I was just caught off guard. I don't play FaceTweet or BlogSpace or anything like that. This is my first real social media adventure, I found this forum off of Arms list and have really liked it, so I thought I'd try another, more specific to what I'm most into.
    I'll probably try your forum some other time, but for now, I'm just happy to be where I am.

Stagman

Master
    I will admit I have been critical of the mods on here before, but they do a great job. I made the mistake of joining the SECRant forum and that forum is full of know it all, smart assed keyboard ninjas. You literally can not make one comment without a smart ass response. Thanks to the GCGF for keeping it civil.

Garpo

Master
    There a few other forums out there, including this one, that aren’t full of know it all’s and pompous gun snobs, that’s why lurking a while helps me weed them out. Hell, I used to get a bit snarky myself but I’ve learned to tone it down but it’s still a work in progress.

Champ62

Master
    Dan, I was checking out the 1911 forum, just a minute ago.

I am saddened to report that moderator, Army Chief, has passed away.

Centermass556

Expert
    FWIW...CW5 Charles Petrie was one helluva a guy. And I personally know a lot of folks in Community he belonged too and supported that think the same of him. He was brother to many. Yes he could come off as a little arrogant at first, but after initial contact, he was someone you could warm up too and admire.

Secondly...I think you were baited and the admin jumped the gun and banned you. and I agree the AR15 site is about the same way. I like the Oly arms AR15 site. I joined it because I have an ultramatch...

Third...I completely understand the comments about the shotguns and rifles. I agree to some extent because I am a "specific tool for specific purpose" guy. However; the 5.56/.223 holds up its end of the deal when things matter. Would I prefer the 6.8 for all engagements, ehh, I'm not sure...there has been a lot of Nay sayers on the 5.56 and it will most likely continue for a long while. I'm just telling you, it does get the job done and does it well. I want to add, I am not discounting your friends reports...I have no idea what they do for the department of boats...But for an all around engage round, it does the deal.

Fourth...Well there was a third so why not round out a fourth. And I just had to get the third point in there....Didn't mean to highjack the thread.

OH....Gunsandammo.com runs a decent forum. there are few "personalities" there...but the place is pretty good.

CCHGN

Banned
    well, I'm uncomfortable critisizing any other forum. IMO, this is a clear case of misperceptions on both sides.

Most forums have a "inner circle" that directs the mood of that forum. Most newbys would do good to lay low and read up and learn that mood and the major players, etc. I'm on that forum and alot of others( survival, farm, beer brewing, Fedora, etc). Folks all over seem to miss the point of not saying anything that they wouldn't say to their face. Course, it's does no good unless you actually get face to face with folks. I've been face to face with alot of folks here and am the same here as I am in person. Some folks even here haven't learned that lesson.

I read the thread and IMO, starting a thread like that , you'd have to know that they don't end well. The mods should have ended it much sooner( like when the first mod said that there had been many threads like that and they all ended bad), but it did seem to be civil. Of course, there's always one member who is an antagonist (and gets away with it), but in some groups, they let them go to see how the newby reacts.

I understand why the mod had a problem with folks listing guns in sigs, but I also know that was his personal opinion, so it didn't need a response. I personally don't list due to OPSEC. I never understood why folks would list what guns they have.

I understand why they questioned why a newby would post such a thread on his first posts. Some could perceive that you were trying to troll.

Btw,Why did you? Trying to impress? The mod was right that there's hundreds of threads just like that and everyone here knows, Ford vs Chevy, Glock vs 1911, etc NEVER ends well, so it's pointless, it's all subjective and no new info can be gleaned.

IMO, the mods should have warned Dangerous Dan for being rude and trying to be offensive, but really, you didn't have to respond, either.

Dan1612

Master
    Just thought some folks might find my experience into the world of semi-customs useful. If I had seen something like that, it would have saved me some time. I find a lot of people group the big 4 together, but I found some rather large differences and WC is in fact often imitated but never duplicated. I'd love to see a similar write up about 308 AR's.
    I own 2 5.56s, they were fun builds, but I won't be putting much more into them. I like 40 round pmags and I like that the ammo is relatively cheap, but it's not what I'd reach for if need be. If I reach for something, it'd be my Sig 716, and I couldn't care less about over penetration in my location layout and circumstance. Some of my buddies do Marine infantry and artillery, with a couple of seals, but I mostly heard the caliber comments from the Marines. I personally did aviation and supply, but I've been out for a while and never went to the sandbox. This was my first forum, THAT was my second. As soon as I got the vibe, I figured if be bailing, so I thought , I'd throw both middle fingers in the air and run off the plank on my own since I figured the sword would soon follow. Im not one to usually act like that, but I was absolutely appalled at the jackasserie, and do regret getting down to their level. I know nothing of the circumstances and didn't know the man, but my condolences go out to the Chief's family and friends.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom