• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    .45 ACP fans, do you own just 1911's? Just Glock .45 ACP variations? Just some other ..45 ACP's? Or a combination of the above? What about those Old wheelguns with halfmoon clips?

Last edited:

capt.joe

Master
    I have a glock 30 and love it. I do have a buddy that wants to sell me a norinco 1911, just waiting for him to decide a price. Theres something about an all metal gun.

M118LR

Master
    I am down to just a 1911,have had pollys and rev but now just the 1911that i carry
    My 1911 .45 ACP world is trending more like fla kids. I'm down to two .45 ACP 1911's, a S&W E series in the bedstand and an AMT Target 1911. The Glock 21SF has taken over all the Travel Duties I have for the .45 ACP with it's 13 round mags. YMMV.

Smith_586

Expert
    All I own is 1911s besides my revolvers and lever actions. Only polymer gun I have is my carry gun. 1911s are tried and true. Have 5 of them. Different configurations.

M118LR

Master
    All I own is 1911s besides my revolvers and lever actions. Only polymer gun I have is my carry gun. 1911s are tried and true. Have 5 of them. Different configurations.
    Have to agree with that to a point. I have three more 1911's that ain't .45 ACP. So the 1911 in it's multiple configurations "Is tried and True." But most are from the time prior to Glock introducing the Model 21SF. With my small hands double stack .45 ACP's were out of the question prior to the Short Frame Glock 21. But nowadays the 1911 is more of a speciality pistol than a duty or carry sidearm. I'll carry it to the target range, or I'll pull it out in the bedroom, but it weighs more than I want to tote in a holster nowadays. It still works, but nowadays there are lighter weight more economical choices with greater capacity that have equal or better reliability. YMMV.

Smith_586

Expert
    Have to agree with that to a point. I have three more 1911's that ain't .45 ACP. So the 1911 in it's multiple configurations "Is tried and True." But most are from the time prior to Glock introducing the Model 21SF. With my small hands double stack .45 ACP's were out of the question prior to the Short Frame Glock 21. But nowadays the 1911 is more of a speciality pistol than a duty or carry sidearm. I'll carry it to the target range, or I'll pull it out in the bedroom, but it weighs more than I want to tote in a holster nowadays. It still works, but nowadays there are lighter weight more economical choices with greater capacity that have equal or better reliability. YMMV.
    You’re right as far as more capacity, but I’ve tried out 2011 style pistols and I prefer 1911s. I like single stacks all around. I’ve had bobtails and full size 1911s, 9mm and .45s and I just love them more than anything else.

M118LR

Master
    You’re right as far as more capacity, but I’ve tried out 2011 style pistols and I prefer 1911s. I like single stacks all around. I’ve had bobtails and full size 1911s, 9mm and .45s and I just love them more than anything else.
    The S&W E-Series 1911 sleeps with me, I think that's testimony enough to how much I love a 1911 .45 ACP?

Smith_586

Expert
    The S&W E-Series 1911 sleeps with me, I think that's testimony enough to how much I love a 1911 .45 ACP?
    Well I’ve had nothing but low end 1911s and mid tier Dan wessons. Only recently started getting into the semi customs. Like Wilson nighthawk etc.. getting a new nighthawk cco next week. Officer sized frame with a commander slide. First one I’ll own in that configuration so we will see. But I only love a commander size or smaller.

I will add this, choosing between a 1911 and a Glock, be it a 21, 30, or 36, you have to decide what is best for you as far as fit and ease of disassembly, assembly, and operation. I have each and each works for me, but that is not the case for everyone. Some prefer the Glock as they are lighter while others like the 1911 as it is tried and true and more conventional. In essence, it is different strokes for different folks.

M118LR

Master
    Uncle Sam started me with an "ACE". (Not part of NAVY Boot camp) When he allowed me to choose between an issued .38 Special S&W Revolver and a Semiauto he issued me a Remington Rand. (not the typewriter). So the manual of arms may have a bit more to due with the selection? If you can operate a double action revolver without thought or concern, the Glocks may be your Huckleberry. If you can disassemble and reassemble a 1911 blindfolded, along with dropping the thumb safety instinctually as you align the sight picture, perhaps that influences your selection. But if you can perform either, the extra capacity and weight savings make the choice simple if you have to hump a sidearm any time or distance. JMHO YMMV.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Since We mentioned disassembly and reassembly, you need those Old drum brake job mechanics thumbs to disassemble a 1911 with a guide rod. Not to mention that it could take you months to disassemble a Glock if you forget to pull the trigger on a the empty chamber to start the process. LOL. Those that have experienced these sins can cast the first rock. LOL. This may be an OJT thing that needs to be experienced. Anyone that has changed drum brakes needed to compress the the disk holding spring pressure and turn it to align the keyway on the pin to remove it. Anyone that has disassembled a 1911 without a guide rod for the spring has used their thumb in the same manner without centered pin ( or rod ) pressing into the middle of their thumb at the same time. As to the Glock, everyone that has never forgot to pull the trigger on the empty chamber to start the process, that also has played with 1911's, go ahead and speak up. LOL.But if you have experienced forgetting to pull the trigger on an empty chamber to start the procedure at least once during your Glock cleaning & disassembly procedures, don't be afraid to acknowledge this. Y'all ain't alone! Laugh at Myself included. Worse, I wasn't cleaning the Glock I was on the porch with a cigar & a nightcap when a novice was cleaning their Glock and couldn't figure out what went wrong. They hit goggle before I could resolve the problem. LMAO.

Last edited:

flgolfer29

Expert
    Would you mind if I ask what purpose each one fulfills? If not, what task do they perform? Thanks.
    The 1911 is to enjoy the trigger and used as a range gun. The g21 was purchased as a higher capacity gun for the range and occasional road trips.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

M118LR

Master
    Since 4 lbs is an NRA/CMS Benchmark, have you decided that 4.5-5 lbs is a trigger pull that you can live with in an actual situation that you may have to resolve?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have them in 3.5", 4.5" and several 5"...but no bobs...i need to work on that

tros6t

Marksman
    I have a glock 30 and love it. I do have a buddy that wants to sell me a norinco 1911, just waiting for him to decide a price. Theres something about an all metal gun.
    I really like all metal pistols and have some, however they are too heavy for me to carry! Even Glocks with their big slides are heavy! I have some newer thiner and lighter ones but haven’t made the change yet!

Top Bottom