• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I had one 2 years ago - Got rid of it - the mags were rough if you got anything over 10 rounds IMHO
    Fun to shoot though. I got into 300BO instead. :)

WRM

Master
    mags were rough if you got anything over 10 rounds IMHO

Well, so much for my plans. Always got the AK to fall back on. I did buy a bunch of 10 rounders too, so maybe it just gets relegated to "designated marksman" duty with a scope. Watch for my WTS post on the bigger mags!

rviray

Marksman
    The only issue I had was with the extractor and extractor spring. I had issues with FTE every once in a while and the casing looked really scratched up. I changed out the extractor and spring, and everything started to work fine. I bought duramags and ASC and both worked fine for me.

WRM

Master
    I changed out the extractor and spring, and everything started to work fine.

Well post up some deets on which make and model you went with!!

Do you think a different BCG might have been in order?

rviray

Marksman
    Well post up some deets on which make and model you went with!!

Do you think a different BCG might have been in order?

My initial bolt was a Spikes bolt and firing pin, got it from OpticsPlanet. Thought, it's a Spikes, so it should be good to go, negative. Eventually got an Extractor Kit from RedExArms. That helped out. As for using a different BCG, I had extra carriers so I just used those. The only difference in firing an AR cambered in 7.62x39 is the firing pin and bolt.

Spikes Bolt:

RedEx Arms Kit:

Don't know why they don't have the 7.62 extractor available, but that is where I got it from.

Reactions: WRM

rossi

Master
    Bear Creek Arsenal has a dedicated 7.62x39 Bolt.

For caliber standardization reasons only, I decided to abandon my build. In anticipation I bought 6 ASC Mags. Two 30 rounders and Four 20 rounders. I'm going to have to find a home for these orphan's.

I've considered a 6.5 Grendel, but ammo price and availability is steering me away from it.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    I've considered a 6.5 Grendel, but ammo price and availability is steering me away from it.

Getting harder to justify most of the "latest and greatest", particularly in our current climate. I have an itch to build a 375 Raptor version but that should about do it for me if I do.

Krazy1

Expert
    I am enjoying mine. I built it on a Aero lower and the biggest problem I've had was light primer strikes with steel ammo. I found a upgraded hammer spring with an enhanced firing pin that has solved the problem. I have a post over in the AL forum about it.

Attachments

• AR-47.jpg
      AR-47.jpg
      948.2 KB · Views: 57

Murfpcola

Master
    A few years ago I bought a complete 16”upper from Sanders Armory. They don’t tell who actually make their components. It is surprisingly accurate with standard steel case ammo. I used it on a lower with a Rise Armament drop in trigger. I was having light primer strikes so I bought an enhanced firing pin from Red X and it started working every time.

After about 300 rounds I started having light primer strikes again. I thoroughly cleaned it and bought another Red X firing pin but still had light strikes. Switched to a standard mil-spec trigger and started working 100% again. Have not shot it much in the last year or so. I have have C Products Defense mags in 10, 20 and 28/30 round capacity as well as some ASC 28/30 rounders and have never had feeding issues. It does have a quite noticeable recoil compared to a 5.56 AR.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom