• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    A Gun Owner’s Case for Gun Control
    By Shawn VanDiver

Why do we only talk about gun control after the most unbearable national tragedies? Why don’t we adopt the common sense gun control regulations that have broad public support and might actually prevent the next tragedy?

Before half the country decides that I am a crazy liberal and stops reading here, let me note that I am a security professional, and a 12 year veteran of the Navy where I served as a weapons system technician, base police officer, and firearms instructor. I am proud gun owner. I’m also a single father. I do not want to ban guns but I do want to protect my son from the dangers they pose.

Our nation has settled into a very predictable routine of public discourse regarding firearms. A deranged individual—a neo-Nazi, a disillusioned ex-employee, or even a disturbed child—commits an act of public violence. The 24-hour news cycle obsesses on every morbid detail, speculating on motives and puzzling over “who’s to blame?” The righteous left preaches “never again” by way of tighter restrictions and more regulation, and the fringe right accuses them of politicizing a tragedy and warns that the government is coming for our firearms.

And then, nothing changes.

Depressing as this picture is, however, the gun control conversation should be happening even more frequently. Deaths due to poor knowledge of firearms happen on the small scale every day; just this past weekend, 11 year-old Hunter Pederson was accidentally killed by his uncle, who was showing off a laser sight by pointing it at the boy’s forehead.

The fact is that thousands of deaths all across our country can be prevented with solid intelligence sharing and common sense regulation. Between 83%—91% of the country supports background checks for all gun purchases and yet, somehow, this simple provision is consistently written out of proposed legislation. It is time that we make this a permanent policy priority rather than a set of talking points to be rolled out alongside the names of our next shooting victims.

I love my guns, and I’m no hypocrite. But I love my son more. I love taking him to school, a movie, or simply around the block without fearing for his life. It is dangerous and short sighted to require so little of our fellow gun owners, because—as 11 year-old Hunter’s case tragically shows—they hold the very lives of those around them in their hands.

So what can we do? The best proposals are all about common sense and moderation—too often four letter words in politics. Background checks and mental health evaluations for all gun owners, on a five year verification cycle, would be a great first step.

Requiring licenses and negligent discharge insurance would be part of common sense reform. Much like vehicles—which are also key pieces of personal property that can take lives when they are operated irresponsibly, firearms should require a license to own and operate. A tiered licensing system could apply to different types of weapons. Insurance could cover any damages caused by negligent discharge, and skyrocketing rates might prove discouraging for repeat offenders.

Prudent limits need to be imposed. We should consider putting a cap on the number of firearms purchased for personal use. Allowances could be made for licensed gun dealers but home protection and hunting require don’t require individuals to keep an arsenal. At the very least, misdemeanors such as DUIs, drug charges, and white collar crimes should be added to the list of crimes that preclude offenders from owning firearms.

Opponents will no doubt ask how we intend to pay for all of these new requirements. A tax on ammunition and weapons manufacturers and end-users seems like a relevant place to start. With $617 billion spent to fund our national defense, we can certainly grab a billion or two to fund these lifesaving reforms.

For some gun rights advocates, no amount of smart budgeting will change their mind because for them any attempt to restrict firearm ownership amounts to an assault on liberty. But most sensible people, even those who own guns and value the 2nd amendment, understand that the exercise of rights requires some tradeoffs. After all, a majority of NRA members support background checks too.

Tragic assaults on public safety by dangerous people are only part of the problem in the United States. A good guy with a gun can turn into a bad guy due to one slip up or a simple misunderstanding and an itchy trigger finger. It’s time we prioritize the debate on gun control and see some real change.

Shawn VanDiver is a 12 year Navy veteran and adjunct faculty at 3 universities teaching military studies, national security policy, homeland security, and international security and trade. He manages corporate security and enterprise risk at a major tech company. He is a member of the Truman National Security Project’s Defense Council. Views expressed are his own.

bac3996

Marksman
    Unfortunately If all legal firearms owners thought this way we'd be in a hell of a lot more trouble.
    Limiting the number of firearms one possesses on infringes on the rights of collectors. I see no one trying to limit the amount of painting one purchases and place on their wall. Some firearms are pieces of rare art, some have no duplicates as they were handmade by craftsmen.

As for disallowing complete ownership because of a DUI then I'm sure most legislators in our country would never be able to own a firearm as I've read
    80% have at sometime been arrested for minor DUI.

So then we have more non-firearm legislators voting on firearms laws. Yeah I see that a plus for us.

This gentleman may have good intentions but his time in Law Enforcement & security has structured him to be more pro-anti then he thinks.

You can not limit something and then still expect it to work properly for everyone.

Do I believe in firearms laws? Yes
    Do I believe more laws & restrictions are needed? No

I do believe the laws should be enforced each & every time, I don't believe most judges and court officials use the laws set aside to deteriorate crime. They make deals and make themselves rich. You'll rarely find a judge that prosecutes to the fullest extent.

That's the number 1 reason you see LEO not being set and regular on their duties. They see the courts system having a revolving door. They do the arrests, they do the paperwork , but attorneys step in and make side deals and the arrestees get slapped on the hands and walk away.

The laws we have now are not being used, So why would any new ones work.

Again this is just my personal view, I'm not here to debate and everyone is allowed there own personal opinion ,May you agree with it or not.

jakec

Master
    Shawn VanDiver is a damn idiot. what a bunch of stupid crap.

D_Shane

Shooter
    I agree we need better gun control, and licensing especially. I don't think the basic hunter safety course, like offered in Florida, should qualify anyone for concealed carry. Last year in the Bass Pro parking lot, the hunter safety course was to use a bb gun and a laser pointer. Realizing the main thing they are looking for is keeping the weapon pointed in a safe direction, that is still quite lax. For a hunting rifle, ok, still a little light, but not a handgun.
    I would say handguns should have a separate training requirement for ownership.
    Licensing in tiers also. ANYONE wanting to own or use a gun should have to have a firearms license. That same license would also be required to purchase ammunition. Reapplying every 5 years etc. THe license would also help with the background checking issue for individual sell and buying. A big issue is having to have both parties meet at an FFL to do the trade, and then what, several days wait depending on the gun? With a firearms license, you can verify on the spot. No license no deal. Ammo included. A number of us already have bill of sales done when trading between ourselves, get the ID. Get caught selling without the ID, jail time.
    A handgun would require an endorsement on the license, similar to motorcycle endorsement. Conceal carry same way. Training required before you can get the endorsement.

I do not agree on the insurance required, or the limit on guns allowed to own. I can see the insurance gouging, regardless of how "negligent" you are. I shouldn't have to pay a premium, ever month to cover anyone else being stupid. Take them for everything they own. If you do something as in Hunter's case, you should lose you firearms license, and have to serve jail time. That was NOT an accident. He did not have the mental faculty to own a gun if he was doing that. Those insurance premiums would wind up going to victims of criminals shooting. Whether gang related, whatever, and they didn't pay into the insurance. So OUR premiums would cover them. GO AFTER THEM. regardless of age.
    The slap on the wrist for teens shooting each other because they were just little boys at 16. BS. A thirteen year old knows those consequences and should be tired as adults.

As for gun limits, I own a number of different caliber rifles and shotguns, all for hunting. My teenagers hunt with me, each has their own rifle they like. My rifle, and my wife's are different as well. I don't think my kids should not be able to shoot what they are most comfortable with because of a limit on the number of guns I am allowed to own.

MY solution, would be a national firearms license, as explained above. REQUIRED for ownership or use of a gun. With different endorsements required. The same authorities in each state that currently conduct the conceal carry issuance would continue to do so. No additional cost in the licensing for handgun, or concealed, it would still be covered under the background check, but proof of training required to add the endorsement. Ammo purchases would require the license as well. So even with a stolen firearm, you couldn't well stock yourself with ammunition. And finally, harsher punishments for gun related crimes, including lowering the "adult" age for criminal related persecutions to around 13 years old. If a 13 year old cannot understand the consequences of shooting someone, they would be able to pass the mental health part of the firearm license either. And allowing your gun to get into the hands of a small child would be a felony firearms negligence charge. Not knowing where your guns are at all times is a crime. I don't care if someone came over for a visit. Should have put it up.

jakec

Master
    hell no!!!! those useless sons of bitches cant even enforce the laws we have and we damn sure dont need them getting any more involved. insurance of any kind is a ripoff. licensing would be a giant pain in the ass and the only people that would affect is legal law abiding citizens and thats not the problem. what you want to license next? lead? brass? powder? loading presses?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    I agree we need better gun control, and licensing especially. I don't think the basic hunter safety course, like offered in Florida, should qualify anyone for concealed carry. Last year in the Bass Pro parking lot, the hunter safety course was to use a bb gun and a laser pointer. Realizing the main thing they are looking for is keeping the weapon pointed in a safe direction, that is still quite lax. For a hunting rifle, ok, still a little light, but not a handgun.
    I would say handguns should have a separate training requirement for ownership.
    Licensing in tiers also. ANYONE wanting to own or use a gun should have to have a firearms license. That same license would also be required to purchase ammunition. Reapplying every 5 years etc. THe license would also help with the background checking issue for individual sell and buying. A big issue is having to have both parties meet at an FFL to do the trade, and then what, several days wait depending on the gun? With a firearms license, you can verify on the spot. No license no deal. Ammo included. A number of us already have bill of sales done when trading between ourselves, get the ID. Get caught selling without the ID, jail time.
    A handgun would require an endorsement on the license, similar to motorcycle endorsement. Conceal carry same way. Training required before you can get the endorsement.

I do not agree on the insurance required, or the limit on guns allowed to own. I can see the insurance gouging, regardless of how "negligent" you are. I shouldn't have to pay a premium, ever month to cover anyone else being stupid. Take them for everything they own. If you do something as in Hunter's case, you should lose you firearms license, and have to serve jail time. That was NOT an accident. He did not have the mental faculty to own a gun if he was doing that. Those insurance premiums would wind up going to victims of criminals shooting. Whether gang related, whatever, and they didn't pay into the insurance. So OUR premiums would cover them. GO AFTER THEM. regardless of age.
    The slap on the wrist for teens shooting each other because they were just little boys at 16. BS. A thirteen year old knows those consequences and should be tired as adults.

As for gun limits, I own a number of different caliber rifles and shotguns, all for hunting. My teenagers hunt with me, each has their own rifle they like. My rifle, and my wife's are different as well. I don't think my kids should not be able to shoot what they are most comfortable with because of a limit on the number of guns I am allowed to own.

MY solution, would be a national firearms license, as explained above. REQUIRED for ownership or use of a gun. With different endorsements required. The same authorities in each state that currently conduct the conceal carry issuance would continue to do so. No additional cost in the licensing for handgun, or concealed, it would still be covered under the background check, but proof of training required to add the endorsement. Ammo purchases would require the license as well. So even with a stolen firearm, you couldn't well stock yourself with ammunition. And finally, harsher punishments for gun related crimes, including lowering the "adult" age for criminal related persecutions to around 13 years old. If a 13 year old cannot understand the consequences of shooting someone, they would be able to pass the mental health part of the firearm license either. And allowing your gun to get into the hands of a small child would be a felony firearms negligence charge. Not knowing where your guns are at all times is a crime. I don't care if someone came over for a visit. Should have put it up.

^^^^^This is just as ridiculous as the original article.

This made my face hurt because of the stupidity, an I went over only half of it. Mods please delete.

Epicly retarded.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    There are so many things wrong with this that they don't even deserve a response. Closet liberals.

There are so many things wrong with this that they don't even deserve a response. Closet liberals.

JohnAL then make it go bye bye sr.

Seanpcola

This is Epic!!!! How dare you suggest it be deleted!!!

I'm with the big wiener, leave it.

Here's my take: Anyone confirmed that this bozo is who he says? I suspect he is a plant by the pro-control types. I also suspect you'll be seeing a lot more of that. Remember, Bloomberg said he was going to fight dirty and spena lot of money to fight the 2A. Saw the same crap when Odipshit was running the first time. Lots of new members on various forums showing up and saying things like "I'm a Republican and conservative but ........".

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Better to leave it..... nobody is buying that crap.....dont give it any legitimacy by trying to pull it.
    Originator is surely full of $hit and isnt even trying to hide it.
    Reading crap like that on this forum does give you the feeling that the enemy is on our doorstep though.....even if they have been here all along....just makes you shiver.:behindsofa:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom