• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Any early reviews out yet?

Since a FULLY functional (all features working) unit has not been released from what I can determine (due to software/firmware needing refining), and only a video taken at around 30yd of a plastic fox has been posted, there seems to be no legitimate/real reviews. The plastic fox looked good in the video. Please correct me if I am wrong. I did learn that the 3x model is 3x optical and any higher magnification is digital. Likewise for the 5x model. Thus, I'd really like to see what the digital zoom looks like on distant targets...typically digital zoom, as opposed to optical, tends to pixilate the image at higher magnifications.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    ATN has finished the Firmware and installing now, they promised video pretty soon so we can see what they will do. remember this is 1080P HD quality, much different than has been available before.

SAWMAN

Master
    At 43 ozs and 10.3" OAL this NV will be somewhat large. Wondering what it will look like when installed on a pic rail OVER the upper as far as proper eye relief. --- SAWMAN

Famine

Master
    Knowing zero about night vision - does the choice of magnification impact the light gathering ability for night vision?

SAWMAN

Master
    No,however it will effect resolution. However this scope can be used independently between the night mode(using NV)and the day mode. In the day mode you would(I would)want more magnification. I would choose the 3-12X. Using NV,even with a GREAT(!) IR illuminator,about 4X is all you really need IMO. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Famine

Master
    I keep thinking about those last 30 minutes on a cloudy day in a dark bottom and how many times I could not count the points and let a buck walk and at the same time want something for yotes well after dark. I value your opinion Sawman - most of my deer are between 100 and 200 yd shots....normal glass is good at 3 x 12 - you figure the same for this?

SAWMAN

Master
    I would rather not speculate on this device. It is night vision vs thermal sooooooo....... I do know that one of the things that I have been hearing about thermal is people expecting it to be THE SAME as a normal scope being used at noon on a sunny day. Without anything to compare it to,without any way to prove it,without any hard data to present,I can simply say,"It is completely different". The distances,the resolution,the contrast,the ease of the ID,everything changes at night.

When the ground fog moves in and settles about 10ft high,thermal and any NVD is degraded somewhat. Thermal to a lesser degree(IMO). There is such a temperature difference while riding down a small road in the buggy that you can quite easily feel it. Hot ground/cool air,cool ground/warm air .... all causes the fog. Along the edge of the swamps,with the rotting wood and other debris,when the cooler night air comes in and is added to the already warm/moist air ..... ground fog.

I will state again,I have asked FWC on two different occasions,a question about using my unit given this scenario. It would be the same with any unit,thermal or NV,that could be used during the hours of daylight AND the hours of darkness. The above unit included. I asked this on the FWC website that is designed to ask questions. I have used this site before and my questions have always been answered. "I own a thermal scope that has a digital crosshair. Can I take this unit to my shooting house during the daylight hours and use it for deer on private land,during the legal hours for deer hunting. Then 1/2 hour after sunset,continue to hunt with it,now targeting hogs and coyotes ONLY" ?

FWC has never even made an attempt to answer this question or return my email. Maybe others will have better luck at getting an answer. I have seen buck deer at night with my unit. You can tell the size of the deer and you can count points. My unit would give me that last 5 minutes before 1/2 hour after sunset when I have seen the fuzzy image thru my regular scope(Leupold VX-R)of a big deer with ?? number of points and could not/would not shoot. ---- SAWMAN

fireblast2591

Expert
    I had a brand new 5x18. Followed all instructions and videos and the thing would NEVER hit cardboard let alone the target from 25 yards after 32 rounds. NO it was not my iron sights. I hit with iron sights and a Bushnell 3x9 with no problem. DO NOT believe ATN or any of the people that swear by these things. They are HEAVY and will not perform the one shot zero. A friend of mine had one too and it had the same problem. So we do not believe that two of theses things bought at almost the same time could fail at the same time. However we could be wrong (I doubt it). Almost never got a refund from Optics Planet on it as they were swamped with refunds on the units.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    The new firmware has resolved most of the issues at this time. The fit and finish is still suspect having been made in China, 50-50 you get a good one. Saying that this is a game changer at the price point if you get a good one. My recommendation after sending 2 defective units back myself is, if you have patience get one now, if not wait till they are 100%. The 3-12 is lighter and pretty much all you need in this area.

fireblast2591

Expert
    Thanks for the info FrankT. I think I am going with a Vortex SPARC for my AK-47. Was looking for an Eotech but they are all over priced even the used one being I am a disabled vet on a low fixed income. Just can't afford $300 or more for Eotech. I am looking a the Vortex for $150.00 new. Your thoughts

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    i LOVE EVERYTHING vORTEX AND A GREAT WARRANTY. The X-sight is day and night vision so yiur setup is just for days, not a real comparison. Remember as a Vet you can get discounts from many of these manufacturers. Cameraland has the best prices on Vortex I have seen and sometimes they have closeouts with a better price.

Viking1204

Master
    Frank check Amazon before you buy from Cameraland, first scope I compared between the two was $17 cheaper at Amazon!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    now you tell me 6 months later...lol I have Prime so I use that too. I have so much stuff now I am on a buying moratorium, till I get moved and resettled.

Viking1204

Master
    Yeah I made the mistake of getting the Prime Card for the no interest offers so now I'm on a buying moratorium too!

Top Bottom