• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Anyone looked at the new Ruger SFAR? Small Frame Autoloading Rifle? It's a .308 with either a 16 or 20" barrel and is on par, weight-wise with an AR-15. Reviews I've seen have all been pretty good, and say that even with the light weight, the comp reduces recoil to a pretty mild level. Seen mixed reviews on accuracy though, some are getting sub-MOA groups, others are getting 1.5-2MOA groups

big jon

Marksman
    First post. Hello everyone!

I'm thinking about a 308 for my next purchase and wanted to get some insight from more experienced shooters.

Contenders I can think of are:
    AR-10 Platforms
    FAL
    SCAR 17
    M1A

Some considerations I have are:
    Which has best accuracy?
    Most reliable?
    Most support for aftermarket parts/ upgrades?
    Can it be made to hunt whitetail legally?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
    HK is tops in that type rifle I like them because they have little recoil and they are accurate or at least mine is and the clones of it are less expensive as are the mags

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    First post. Hello everyone!

I'm thinking about a 308 for my next purchase and wanted to get some insight from more experienced shooters.

Contenders I can think of are:
    AR-10 Platforms
    FAL
    SCAR 17
    M1A

Some considerations I have are:
    Which has best accuracy?
    Most reliable?
    Most support for aftermarket parts/ upgrades?
    Can it be made to hunt whitetail legally?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Im not what I would consider very experienced, but I have enjoyed shooting out to 300 yards at a the range on occasion.

Most support for aftermarket parts and upgrades would probably put you in the AR10 camp - That's what I went with for similar reasons.

Accuracy - There's always going to be quite a few guys here that can outshoot me. :)

My AR 10s (I went with a POF one a few years ago and a 80% lower about a decade ago) have been very reliable.

The standard version is far from being MOA capable... a reasonable build in the AR10 can achieve MOA easier no?
    Remember one thing, we are talking about Battle Rifles, not precision rifles. In actual battle, you need to make most shots within what I call, MOM (Minute Of Man). You should be able to hit "center mass" from most distances within the rifle's and shooter's capabilities. With the FALs, M14/M1As, and some other .308 platforms, you can turn them into DMRs by merely adding the right scope and mount. All you need then is the right shooter pulling the trigger. Heck, even with a M1 Carbine, a skilled marksman was capable of hitting a steel helmet at 500 yards. I have seen the video of it being done and that was with iron sights.

M118LR

Master
    Well, Battle Rifles? M1, M1 carbine, M2 carbine, M-14, FAL, SCAR. With the exception of the Garand & M1 carbine they all have that switch that takes them to full automatic. Uncle Sam considers 3 MOA acceptable. So most honest Battle Rifles were not designed to be lightweight, a 7.62 x 51 mm on full auto is a bit hard to control. (Thus the wide spread use of honest assault Carbines on Battlefields) Now when Uncle Sam wants to take advantage of the inherent accuracy of the .308 both ammunition and mode of operation for Battlefield use become specialized. Navy M-14NM & M-25 both are semiauto only and usually M118 Series ammunition is issued for use. So if sub MOA precision is required in a lightweight Battle Rifle, Uncle Sam usually turns to Bolt Action Rifles. (Even then the term lightweight is a misnomer) If you limit your hunting of Big Game to 300 yards any 7.62 x 51 mm 3 MOA Semi Automatic "Battle Rifle" with a max of a 5 Round Box should do. I'd recommend National Match iron sights for a Precision Built Battle Rifle if you're able to shoot with accuracy using irons. If you're going to use glass, mounting height, recoil impulse, and mounting hardware considerations are going to be a concern. So which Battle Rifle and what ammunition are required can usually be broken down to what Known Distance (KD) you expect to use the firearm at. IE 300 yard, 500 yard, 800 yard, Maximum yardage capable or +800 yards. The further away you intend to shoot, the greater the cost in ammunition and precision equipment. Most folks nowadays are more familiar with M-16/M-4 manual of arms and the DI variants can be used with glass out to 800 yards at a relatively effective price per yard. Yet I find that even the PRS configuration on M-16/M-4 style .308 Win variations isn't as comfortable to shoot all day and from every position as McMillan M-14 variants. YMMV. Not to mention that butt stroke, man lifts, and for the most part bayonet use on the M-4 variants are lost arts of "Battle Rifle" use. JMHO. YMMV. Since the M1 is usually 30-06 I'll say it has the best "Battle Rifle" reputation and record. JMHO.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Remember one thing, we are talking about Battle Rifles, not precision rifles. In actual battle, you need to make most shots within what I call, MOM (Minute Of Man). You should be able to hit "center mass" from most distances within the rifle's and shooter's capabilities. With the FALs, M14/M1As, and some other .308 platforms, you can turn them into DMRs by merely adding the right scope and mount. All you need then is the right shooter pulling the trigger. Heck, even with a M1 Carbine, a skilled marksman was capable of hitting a steel helmet at 500 yards. I have seen the video of it being done and that was with iron sights.

True... Look at what I posted, I addressed various aspects of a weapons platform, all of which the AR 10 style is better IMO.

From a total package, variable considerations standpoint, I feel the AR gets higher marks across the board.

M118LR

Master
    True... Look at what I posted, I addressed various aspects of a weapons platform, all of which the AR 10 style is better IMO.

From a total package, variable considerations standpoint, I feel the AR gets higher marks across the board.
    As long as you pick and choose what aspects of a "Battle Rifle" are of concern I can agree with that. Yet Battle Rifle Use in actual combat required Bayonet & Hand to hand training, along with the ability to hold the weight of a service member when lifting. So if you ignore all those Battle Rifle requirements, than the assault rifle platforms can be considered "Battle Rifles" I guess?

Mullet Hunter

Master
    My FNAR is scary accurate and my go to however SCAR17 takes the cake…

PaterSalad

Shooter
    Thanks for all the replies, I think I'm gravitating towards an M1A Scout (Black Synthetic). This is mainly because I want to use it as a hunting rifle, and hunting Florida/Alabama woods means that 3moa is acceptable due to relatively shorter ranges. It also has a "this feels more like a semi auto hunting rifle" vibe to it, and 5rd magazines are readily accessible. I feel a scout type LER scope works well with heavily wooded areas at shorter ranges too.

M118LR

Master
    I like the Burris variable scout scope with Warne QD rings mounted as low as possible. Beartooth makes a lightweight synthetic comb riser kit, but I like the heavier Eagle Industries version. That Cerakote Dessert Camo Scout Squad M1A keeps catching my eye. Don't forget, if you get the M1A Scout Squad you only need purchase qty 1 Five round Detachable Mag, 5 round stripper clips work perfectly and weigh less. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

RHINOWSO

Master
    Thanks for all the replies, I think I'm gravitating towards an M1A Scout (Black Synthetic). This is mainly because I want to use it as a hunting rifle, and hunting Florida/Alabama woods means that 3moa is acceptable due to relatively shorter ranges. It also has a "this feels more like a semi auto hunting rifle" vibe to it, and 5rd magazines are readily accessible. I feel a scout type LER scope works well with heavily wooded areas at shorter ranges too.
    If you want an M1A, get it but realize you are picking a less capable platform. M1As can be accurate but for them to get 1-ish MOA can take a lot of work. I get it though, some weapons you want because you just want them.

The new Ruger SFAR seems to be a good option for people who want an AR10; other plusses are it's in production, lower price end, and Ruger has great C/S. If I didn't have a Colt CM762 and SCAR17, I might get one. Its too bad Colt isn't currently making CM762-16S, because mine is a great rifle which I got for around $1300 when they were blowing them out 4-ish years ago.

Midnight son

Expert
    Any "battle rifle" mentioned so far is perfectly capable of southeast deer hunting......walk to your stand.....weight doesn't matter, 3 moa can be acceptable. Tackleberry is correct on the FAL being 600 capable, I had a dsa that shot straight to the irons out to 6 on C zone steel, it was 2.5 moa on it's best day. If you choose anything other than an AR platform I think its because that's what you want, and that's always best! The small frame AR's are hard to beat. POF is at the top of the list. Ruger looks to be promising. Someone in the for sale adds cannot sell a dpms small frame .243/.260/.308 for if I remember correctly for $1100, which baffles the hell out of me.

Raven

Master
    The FAL has a proven track record. There's also the Tavor 7 is about to go into IDF use if it isn't already, and packs full power 308 in a very compact package suitable for CQB
    Bingo. Can't go wrong with either of these two.

Get what fits your ergonomics the best. Either way, should the SHTF, chances are whatever 308 semi-auto you pick you won't have parts or mag or ammo compatibility with anybody on your block, in your family, at your work or in your church. So get what fits your ergonomics. Then once your particular semi-auto 308 has proven itself to be reliable and what you like then go buy at least 20 mags and a vest for all of them mags. And start lifting weights and pounding protein because you're going to need all the help you can get to carry it all any amount of distance

Raven

Master
    Ahh, it's an AR 10 with SIG! pricetag. $1,700. Nope! Fine weapon I'm sure, just not for me to drag around and ding up. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the C308 for deer or cannibal looters. Plus no hk slap!
    Yep, that's right. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you're afraid to beat something to death with your service rifle because you might break it or somehow scratch it or devalue it, then you bought the wrong service rifle

Last edited:
    Top Bottom