• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I'm confused by this. What firearm are you trying to zero?

Are you wanting one laser to zero multiple guns?

Are you wanting to find a free one or do you mean that you don't have to fire a round?

Grits1/5

Marksman
    I have yet to find a laser bore sight that really works well. I’ve bought several different ones on Amazon and eBay over the years, and they always disappoint. Wheeler Engineering makes a more expensive one that is magnetic, but it’s expensive and the reviews really aren’t great. I’ve had ones that were adjustable and used a rod down the bore, and the cartridge shaped ones that are caliber specific, none of them work well. Insight/L3 used to make one for the military, to bore sight PEQ’s, and I was never fond of them but the military used them.
    Not a laser bore sight, but if you are just changing optics, and already have your old scope sighted in, I use a rail mounted visible laser. Sight the laser in to the zero on your old optic, then remove the optic and adjust the new optic to the laser.

HebrewHammer

Expert
    I'm confused by this. What firearm are you trying to zero?

Are you wanting one laser to zero multiple guns?

Are you wanting to find a free one or do you mean that you don't have to fire a round?

Yea for multiple calibers and I wanna purchase one online so many options out there I wanted to see if anyone here had a good recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAS HUGH!

Master
    I suggest you get a cheap multi caliber one that goes in the end of your barrel. Mine has been fine so far across many calibers. Just get a green one tho. Mine is an old weak red one and I can't see it outdoors during the day

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

HebrewHammer

Expert
    I suggest you get a cheap multi caliber one that goes in the end of your barrel. Mine has been fine so far across many calibers. Just get a green one tho. Mine is an old weak red one and I can't see it outdoors during the day

Thank you sir any brand specifically?

Fathertime

Marksman
    I have yet to find a laser bore sight that really works well. I’ve bought several different ones on Amazon and eBay over the years, and they always disappoint. Wheeler Engineering makes a more expensive one that is magnetic, but it’s expensive and the reviews really aren’t great. I’ve had ones that were adjustable and used a rod down the bore, and the cartridge shaped ones that are caliber specific, none of them work well. Insight/L3 used to make one for the military, to bore sight PEQ’s, and I was never fond of them but the military used them.
    Not a laser bore sight, but if you are just changing optics, and already have your old scope sighted in, I use a rail mounted visible laser. Sight the laser in to the zero on your old optic, then remove the optic and adjust the new optic to the laser.
    I have the Wheeler Engineering one that is mentioned,I have to say this is by far the best one I have ever used. Even if you are a rch off when you put it at the end of the barrel it still gets you on paper at 100yds. Generally when all is perfect it gets you within 2 inches at 100 or less. I mounted my target that comes with it on a piece of plexiglass so it’s always flat and the wind doesn’t move it much.

WRM

Master
    I've got the cartridge style laser models, and they work "ok", usually, but man they burn thru those batteries in a heartbeat.

On my bolts and levers, I usually just pull them at the range and do the old bore/scope alignment. That gives just about as good a result for me. Once you are on paper, it shouldn't take too much adjustment anyway.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Thank you sir any brand specifically?

Last I checked, they sell under a few different brands for the same device. The main difference is battery type and laser color. All seem to be pretty decent and cheap. I'd let the battery type decide it lost, along with the laser color green

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I've got the cartridge style laser models, and they work "ok", usually, but man they burn thru those batteries in a heartbeat.

On my bolts and levers, I usually just pull them at the range and do the old bore/scope alignment. That gives just about as good a result for me. Once you are on paper, it shouldn't take too much adjustment anyway.
    This>>> keeps grandkids busy too... :)

Grits1/5

Marksman
    I have the Wheeler Engineering one that is mentioned,I have to say this is by far the best one I have ever used. Even if you are a rch off when you put it at the end of the barrel it still gets you on paper at 100yds. Generally when all is perfect it gets you within 2 inches at 100 or less. I mounted my target that comes with it on a piece of plexiglass so it’s always flat and the wind doesn’t move it much.
    Good to know! I’ve wanted to try the wheeler one, but a wanted to make sure it was good before spending the money on it! Like most things, there will always be good and bad reviews for a product online, so it’s good to get trusted local feedback!

Bay Ranger

Master
    I've had several - most don't work very well. Last one I bought I bore sighted in the bolt rifle in thhe house then took it to the range. Initial shot wasn't even on the target paper.

Best one I've used is a Wheeler magnetic borrowed from a friend. Expensive though. That's why I borrowed it!

HebrewHammer

Expert
    Good to know! I’ve wanted to try the wheeler one, but a wanted to make sure it was good before spending the money on it! Like most things, there will always be good and bad reviews for a product online, so it’s good to get trusted local feedback!

Just found it on Amazon $99 green laser

Viking1204

Master
    I've had several - most don't work very well. Last one I bought I bore sighted in the bolt rifle in thhe house then took it to the range. Initial shot wasn't even on the target paper.

Best one I've used is a Wheeler magnetic borrowed from a friend. Expensive though. That's why I borrowed it!
    Unless you have a big house with a long hallway inside the house is just too short a distance. Set something up outside at about 30 yards and that will get you on paper most likely.

HebrewHammer

Expert
    Unless you have a big house with a long hallway inside the house is just too short a distance. Set something up outside at about 30 yards and that will get you on paper most likely.

I bought a shooting vice and was gonna use it in the backyard at 50 yards

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Just in case anyone needs one, I found the BOG Deathgrip shooting tripod on Amazon for 120$. They start at 220ish elsewhere. It really comes in handy for sighting one in

HebrewHammer

Expert
    Just in case anyone needs one, I found the BOG Deathgrip shooting tripod on Amazon for 120$. They start at 220ish elsewhere. It really comes in handy for sighting one in

This one had good reviews and was affordable
    12899ef7fc8a4fea8aa91c48e287c393.jpg

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Yeah that kind I think is great too. I was just mentioning it since I found it at such a good price is all

lil'skeet

Master
    Look for the Best laser bore sight to zero ammo free.

If you decide on one of the multi cal. typed that goes in the muzzle, use a target at the farthest distance possible. Rotate that laser 360 degrees and take note of how it draws out a circle on your target. Mine is decent but at 35 yds it will make about a 4"-5" circle. That could be 15" at 100yds. Use big piece of cardboard when sighting in and save yourself time. Take high, low, far left, and far right and center for your reticle is easy from there. I like boresighting better if it is possible.

Top Bottom