• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Getting back into the black powder revolvers, and decided to finish a project that has lingered too long.

Bought a badly worn and needy 1860 Army replica some time back. Since I had one in the safe it appealed to me to have a brace of revolvers to play with. Here is the minty 1860 on the left and the needy one on the right.

Refinished in the same order.

I think I may leave the walnut as they are, after some minor smoothing and refinishing they are thicker than the factory grips, which may suit me better for a left hand gun.

Last edited:

Hossfly72

Marksman
    I've got an actual one that looks a lot like those, but it's a smaller caliber (maybe .32?).. Great great Grand daddy shot the yankee that was carrying it at a battle on Island 10 in the Mississippi. Mine is a bit scratched up, but then it was dropped! LOL. Yours are beautiful! You're going to have fun shooting those!

RackinRay

Master
    I've got an actual one that looks a lot like those, but it's a smaller caliber (maybe .32?).. Great great Grand daddy shot the yankee that was carrying it at a battle on Island 10 in the Mississippi. Mine is a bit scratched up, but then it was dropped! LOL. Yours are beautiful! You're going to have fun shooting those!

Thanks, I like them and have ordered some kit tonight to make them range guns.

Your grand-dad's gun is likely a .36 caliber, maybe a 1851 or 1858, both were around and played a part in the civil war. The north entered with the 1860 being their new service pistol. It was, and still is, a graceful and natural pointing gun. The last major BP revolver introduction I believe.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    .36 caliber and 1851 sounds right, according to my sketchy memories of what Dad told me.
    Would it be a "Navy Colt" or just a Colt? I remember most that the butt is really small for my bear paw hands, even when I was a teenager.

Top Bottom