• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    My Dad has a Stevens single shot 4-10 that was his first gun that was bought new for him in 1958 from Campbells' Hardware in Robertsdale, it's also the first gun my brother and I used when hunting. The gun has hardly any monetary value, but the sentimental value in absolutely priceless and now it's time to pass the gun on to my 7 year old son. My first question is should I take it to a gunsmith for an inspection? Secondly it has accumulated surface rust over the years and I was wondering what is the best way to tackle the rust before it gets a new finish? Finally I have never attempted or looked into rebluing anything myself, so how difficult/easy is the process? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

fishingjean

Master
    Not a gun expert but, that old shot gun means a lot to you so I would take it to a good gunsmith an have him restore it for your son, you wont be sorry an your son will be very happy, good luck with it !!! Denny in pace !!

flphotog

Shooter
    Since you are in AL I'd highly recommend Accurate Plating and Weaponry for major refinishing. To do this you wouldn't want to use cold bluing, you really need to hot blue. I'm not associated with them but they do really good work for a reasonable price.

5229 County Road 99
    Newville, Alabama 36353

oneshot

Master
    Have been doing this for a long time, since it is a hand me down from the past let it show is age, just see to it that's it is safe to shoot, the finish will re mind him where it came from and has been. And he will remember be able to brag about is history and how good it still shoots. Go over it with some fine steel wool and oil. Just my 5 cents jj

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    i vote to refurbish it.....

SODAPOPMG

Shooter
    if you own a classic car you spend tens of thousands of dollars to restore it to factory showroom condition
    if you have a wwII fighter airplane you spend millions of dollars to restore it to factory new flying condition
    only gun nuts think that a rusty broken firearm should be left if it's ratty worn out condition
    but it's your gun so you decide

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom