• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyandscuba

Master
    Gee Scuba - looking at your sig - default to the level of your training ..... exactly WHAT is your objection to training?

The man is calling for better training - something I seem to remember YOU spouting off about - extensively.

I guess you think any swinging richard should be able to carry ....... I smell double talk here - hypocrite much?

This isn't about the right to carry folks - its about doing it properly.

Unbunch your panties and grow the hell up already.

" Let's send the link to the NRA". Unbefreakinlievable.

I believe in proper training -- but El Capitain it is not... Ron is a joke -- and certainly not the "face" we need on local TV, making the average CCW holder looking like an accident waiting to happen. Additional training should be encouraged -- but we don't need any more "requirements" for the anti-gunners to grab hold of. Ron isn't doing the shooting community any favors. Just look at the stupid speed drills he does on camera -- with that silly drawing the firearm back into the center of his chest slowly and a quick glance to either side. I'm sure he picked that up from one of the videos he watched (that was the extent of HIS training). A gorilla could be standing next to him -- and he wouldn't see it with that silly rote memory glance. Situational awareness is what will keep you alive before, during, and after a fire fight -- not some IDPA hype that is drilled into the masses ad nauseum to look good on the range... Talk about silly and childish -- it's right up there with bosu balls, inversion racks, and balance beams. Garbage!

outside9

Master
    Gee Scuba - looking at your sig - default to the level of your training ..... exactly WHAT is your objection to training?

The man is calling for better training - something I seem to remember YOU spouting off about - extensively.

I guess you think any swinging richard should be able to carry ....... I smell double talk here - hypocrite much?

This isn't about the right to carry folks - its about doing it properly.

Unbunch your panties and grow the hell up already.

" Let's send the link to the NRA". Unbefreakinlievable.

A little something to think about; But first, I don’t know or have anything good or bad to say about this Ron.

One of the big things we all fight when it comes to new gun legislation is more extensive background and mental evaluations. One reason, the government could use these two items to further restrict who qualified to get a CCW by making the restrictions near impossible to pass.

What if; what Ron says takes hold and the government decides there is a list of stricter standards to qualify for a CCW? In doing this, they pass new legislation that requires you to pass a list of tougher standards that disqualifies many who can carry now.

In my personal opinion, if you can legally own a gun, you should be allowed to carry it.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    One of the big things we all fight when it comes to new gun legislation is more extensive background and mental evaluations. One reason, the government could use these two items to further restrict who qualified to get a CCW by making the restrictions near impossible to pass.

What if; what Ron says takes hold and the government decides there is a list of stricter standards to qualify for a CCW? In doing this, they pass new legislation that requires you to pass a list of tougher standards that disqualifies many who can carry now.

I've come across several people that I felt shouldn't carry. Whether it was mind set or skill or something else. But, who am I to judge? If the GOV steps in, who's going to decide what the "appropriate" skill level should be? Where is the line drawn? Stricter classes? Higher proficiency? Requals? How often? Qual for each weapon you carry? Medical evaluations? Will Obamacare pay for that?

It's a Right.

It's a slippery slope

1911Junky

Master
    I've come across several people that I felt shouldn't carry. Whether it was mind set or skill or something else. But, who am I to judge? If the GOV steps in, who's going to decide what the "appropriate" skill level should be? Where is the line drawn? Stricter classes? Higher proficiency? Requals? How often? Qual for each weapon you carry? Medical evaluations? Will Obamacare pay for that?

It's a Right.

It's a slippery slope

I agree. I know of people whom have gone out and bought complete arsenals, then took a CCW class to get their permit and now carry's and the only time they have ever fired any weapon, let alone the arsenal they now have was during the CCW class. That honestly scares me. The one particular person I am referencing I have offered to take them out every other weekend and train them on, firearms, safety, proper usage and familiarity with their own weapons.

Snow Bird

Master
    Where can I see a vid you guys keep talking about this Ron guy? I would like to see what he does.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I will not advertise his piss poor site or him

Gaijin

Shooter
    Snow Bird: You can start here at his website

http://iwillnotbeavictim.com/

and if you like, search for him on YouTube - he's got plenty of videos out there.

I know that in the past he's lied about his military training, and has attempted to scrub some of the previous claims he made about his training, but....the info is still on the web if you care to look, just google his name. IMHO, he's a HUGE self promoter with delusions of grandeur, but.....he does provide his students with an opportunity to shoot a lot of rounds while getting the training required for a CCW.

Snow Bird

Master
    Gaijin thanks I,ll look at some of them. Frank I didn't mean to piss anyone off. I followed the other long conversation here a while back and just wanted to see what every one was talking about.

Gaijin

Shooter
    You're welcome, please understand that posting his website is NOT AN ENDORSEMENT - personally I think the guy is a total TOOL, but....I'll leave it to others to decide. Of course, lying about one's military training/background is about the worst thing a veteran can do. And, I'm pretty sure Ron doesn't want to see me in person again.

Snow Bird

Master
    I understand that you are not in any way making an indorsement of him or his teaching methods. I don't have any use for anyone who lies about there military training either. I am proud of what I did in the service and tell it like it was. Don,t build anything up to be something it wasen't. I was a jet engine mechanic and thats it. Did my part and only went to Guam. People still ask did you go to vietnam---Nope just guam. A friend bought me a hat that has Vietnam Veteran on it and I will not wear it. But it isn,t about me. I have heard so much about this guy that I just wanted to see some of the stuff that he does.. Especally that rocking on the ball thing and the 1 finger slide rack. Hell my recoil spring in my 1911 takes alot more than 1 finger. Well it's nighty night time over here so i'll watch some vids tomorrow.

SAWMAN

Master
    Snow Bird.........may I ask,did you keep the engines running so that the planes could come from Guam to SE Asia to deliver the weapons to the bad guys that were trying to kill me ?? If you had absolutely any part in this process you will surely rate a snappy salute from me. Thousands of sorties were flown from Guam,non-stop to SE Asia and back. They dropped many thousands of tons of bombs on the bad guys.

NOW............back to........?........whatever. --- SAWMAN

outside9

Master

It's a Right.

It's a slippery slope

Or drive or have kids!

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    I've said before and I'll say it again - Ron is a character without doubt. HOWEVER - they quoted a few other instructors in the piece that all shared the same opinion- and quite honestly I'd prefer someone trained versus someone who has no idea or just thinks its cool to carry to be out there.

I for one get tired of the "lets browbeat" whoever bandwagon mentality that pops up in internet forums. If Ron did the things you guys refer to - then by all means NAIL him for it - I have looked out there on Google and found alot of POSITIVE about him - not as much negative other than what you guys had on the fishing forum.
    BUT - if you haven't been to his class and have only watched the videos he has and are making comments about it .... doesn't that put you into that same "watched a video" category?
    YES - I went to his training, YES I paid for it - NO I don't feel ripped off. YES I have had other training - the balancing ball was shown to demonstrate that you didn't need to aim down the sites but rather to point the gun like it was your hand and fire, and could hit under less than ideal circumstances. Am I going to run out and try it personally - hell no. But at no time was ANYONE at the class in any danger or in an unsafe position.
    Is it showy - YES - guys and gals - the man is a salesman and a showman.

He did very thoroughly however go over the legal aspects - where to carry, where not to carry etc. - which seemed to me to be what he was hinting at in the article. Do I want more Gov involvement - emphatically NO.

I personally know someone who is licensed and carries and should NEVER have been allowed to buy the guns she has - much less carry them concealed.

Slippery slope is a great way to put it - muddled nightmare fits it even better.

Scuba - I hear ya man .. I hear ya.
    But if not Ron - then someone else pipe up out there. He's outspoken and known - that's why they go to him.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Loki, he did admit to some of his lies and his fake certifications were taken off his website...so I think when a man admits he is not what he says he is it is clear everything he does is suspect...You know like obama, all you have to do is listen what the man says himself to know the real man. Glad you are a happy ron trainee.

helo_hunter

Expert
    I do not want more government involvement in my life or any of your lives. I have seen folks with carry licenses that make me scratch my head but someone said they met the state's requirements. That includes a number of folks who served in the military or are serving who do not require any further training in the state of FL to get thier carry licenses.

Just hope folks realize that shooting is perishable skill and that training is lifelong jouney, not just a one class or one day event. I enjoy taking clases, getting other folks' viewpoints and learning new things.

I like the training given at Escambia River Gun Club. (http://www.escambiarivergunclub.org/index.php is the website) They bring in an attorney who talks for about 2 hours, then a couple of NRA certified instructors go over what the NRA First Steps covers then off to the range to shoot club guns (Ruger 22/45 Mk3 22s) with a group of 10 or so NRA certified instructors. Some of the instructors were FBI or DEA instructors - lots of experience. If you have a gun you want to shoot, bring it and shoot it. SOme instructors bring their own guns but with the ammo shortage, not as often as we used to do that. This is basic trsaining. There are several instructors or training groups that have more advanced training that you can find out about by talking to the instructors, if desired.

Lots of good instructors out there.

Snow Bird

Master
    SAWMAN I return that salute and thank you. Most of us in the mil. at one time or another wonder if we were doing any good and you don't know what it means to me to know that we were. Saw the bombers leave loaded and return empty and wonder if they were just blowing up trees or really helping. Now I know. Now to Ron. Got to watch some vids today and all I saw was who I take to be his wife and daughter shoot. Did see the ball and then one legged ball shoot. Also say him slapping the guy on the back while he shot. What was the idea of the timer and the older lady picking up the pistol and shooting. I see no real reason for that in the real world. I think time would be better spent in training something you would use in real life. After seeing his vids I presonally would not go for his training classes.

Top Bottom