• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Yeah that probably has to do with the Air Force never being under strength. I don't branch hate but the Air Force has it best when it comes to funding and how it treats its people mostly. Unless your doing CCT or Para, you got the good life, even when deployed. Compared to Army and Marines, and some select Navy units. Take your time, research and you'll make a good decision for yourself

Gatorbob

Shooter
    Well it's time to get the ball rolling on finding a career.
    I know for most decent jobs I'm going to need a higher education whether it's college or trade school. Just looking for ideas on what to do that I'll be able to get a job in, would hate to go through schooling and not be able to get hired. I have no clue of what I want to do just wanting to do as of now.

I'm also considering military or law enforcement if I don't go the college/trade school route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The Military would be a good direction do a few years get some training, certs, if possible get a clearance then get out now a day 6 years would the longest. Not many ways to get paid and training at the same time other then to enlist. I spend 23 years in the Military got to see and do a lot all over the world, I was heavy in the electronics but went in to IT and security. More money better jobs, better job security. If you going in the government contracting world you need Certifications plus Security certs, a clearance opens the door the certs gets you the job, the contract and company gets you the pay check. I’m retiring in 3 days after 20 plus as an IT contractor my military life laided the ground work. Be ready to change positions and sometime companies every few years very few people ever work 20 years for the same company any more sometimes you have to move to where the jobs are. Being behind a computer all day isn’t for everyone but it pays the bills, the coffee hot the A/C cold and the 401K is fat. I'm very well off and did not have to retire but I can that is what is nice having the option.

Last edited:

Gatorbob

Shooter
    I have a couple nephews one was in the army for 6 years Army, small engine mechanic, got out now a state trooper in Houston. The other did 20 plus years in the Air Force he was a LE and SP law enforcement (one is security the other a Cop) he is retired now working a government job managing security a desk jockey, pushing paper and over seeing people. Both like what they are doing and are happy the direction they are going. You never tell where your time in the Military will take you just keep your nose clean do your job and look to the future you direction can change but you have to have a plan but be will to change with the times.

Droshki

Master
    Air Force Guaranteed Jobs

When you join the United States Air Force, there are conditions that you
    must meet to reserve or guarantee a specific job for your military career.
    There are actually two programs that serve this, one is called the
    Guaranteed Aptitude Area, and the other is called Guaranteed Jobs. The jobs
    in the Air Force are called Specialty Codes. The Guaranteed Job part is
    where a person joining the Air Force can receive a specific Air Force
    Specialty Code or job. The Guaranteed Aptitude part is the process that a
    recruit is promised and guaranteed that they will receive a job or specialty
    code that matches up to on of their aptitude areas. All Air Force specialty
    codes are divided up into one of four different aptitude areas:
    Administrative, Electronic, Mechanical, and General.

Some jobs are not released to be given out under the guaranteed jobs
    program.

This is because about sixty percent of the jobs are reserved to be
    distributed under the guaranteed aptitude program. These available jobs are
    then given to recruits in basic training who joined under the Guaranteed
    Aptitude program.

Read More: https://www.usmilitary.com/729/air-force-guaranteed-jobs/

Droshki

Master
    Suggested field:

Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems, AFSC 2E8X1

Personnel in this career ladder perform and manage design support, installation, calibration, testing, operation, maintenance, and repair of instrumentation and telemetry facilities, systems, equipment, and related subsystems. They also monitor, analyze, and direct performance checks and measurements of instrumentation and telemetry systems to ensure acceptable performance. Entry into the career ladder currently requires an Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Electronic score of 67. The sequence of operational training for this AFSC begins with attending a 119-day Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems Apprentice Training Course conducted at Keesler AFB MS. This includes 74 days of electronics principles. This course curriculum includes training in assembling, installing, adjusting, and maintaining mechanical, electrical, and electronic equipment used to monitor and collect flight test range data and to measure the performance of test and research projects; strong emphasis on the practical application of electronic principles and use of electronic schematics; adjustment, calibration, and malfunction analysis of instrumentation and telemetry components; and familiarization with Air Force technical orders, manuals, directives, and other maintenance publications

Top Bottom